1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Control Scheme?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hayai_JiJi, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

First off this is one of those I am utterly bored at work so I will post a thread thread's. Now on to my question which arcade fighting game do you think has the best control scheme and please post more than all of the Virtua Fighters in succesion. So onto to my choices.

1. Karate Champ what can I say I absolutely love the dual stick controls.
    2. VF3 simply yet very effective I put this over the other VF's because of the E button.
    3. Street Fighter 2 and all the following installments not flashy just very reliable and the conrol is always spot on.

Now I know some will disagree with the Street Fighter choice( Bungle) and perhaps Karate Champ but discussion is what this post is for.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I LOVE Karate CHamp's control sceme....and to be honest...I doubt anybody right now would have the skill/time to invest to really get into that control sceme if it was updated and put into another game...you really had to have amazing reflexes to play.
    The only other control sceme I would add is Samurai Showdown II's control sceme which I think is the best out of any 2d fighter.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

3. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

dont mind me asking

what the hell is Karate Champ? i never heard of that game

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

4. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Re: dont mind me asking

Karate Champ 0wned man.

Being an arcade game from like 1988 or so, it had ultra primitive graphics. It was a 1v1 fighting game (ofcourse).

One used 2 joysticks to control one's character, one for direction of body movement, one for direction attack. Diagonals weren't even used. Let's see if I can remember the controls - it's only been 10+ years after all :)

Up & Back would produce a jumping crescent.
    Up & Forward a jumping forwards kick.
    Down & Forward a lowpunch.
    Down & Back a sweep.
    Forward & Forward a punt kick.

and, uhm, stuff like that

There were probably like 12-15 moves in all (and only one char ofcourse).

Man I loved that game!

Bring back 2 joystick games!

- Jan

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Re: dont mind me asking

Thr best thing about Karate Champ is that it was nothing but guessing games the ultimate yomi game. I like to think of it as the predecesor of VF.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin