1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Sabaki-safe options

Discussion in 'Brad' started by deathsushi, Dec 8, 2008.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what Brad's best sabaki-safe options are against Shun and Lei Fei - whenever I see Shun's back turned, I inevitably see my life bar turn red as I get sabaki'd and countered out of everything I've tried. I can't remember which stance it is that Lei keeps sabaki'ing me out of (I'm not referring to his punch reversal stance), but I keep getting caught there as well

Any suggestions for either of these two situations would be great, even if the advice is just "block, dumbass".

2. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    The simplest solution to dealing with those nuts is to back off. also Brad's 2k+g can be highly effective if placed in the right places.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yep, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is really effective but you have to be wary of Lei's Koko /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which will sabaki all low attacks.

Alternatively, consider using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif which will beat any sabaki out there, and a tad quicker than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as well.

4. wrinty

wrinty Active Member

Hmmm when a character like Lei fei and shun di go into stances hoping to sabaki/mix you up, would the best thing to do in these situations is to just back off?

I think stance chars like fei and shun are a litte too strong eh...

5. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It really depends if they've entered the stance with advantage or disadvantage.

If they have advantage, then it's safer to act defensively (Guard, Evade, ETE, back off, etc).

But if they're disadvantaged, then you may have an opportunity to attack and inflict damage and control the flow of the fight. Why pass that up by backing off?

6. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Particularly their lie down stances where you know 90% of your moves will whiff. It definitely helps if you know to evade to Shun's front (I didn't until I started playing Shun and watch other players do it). But generally they can't reach you from that far if they're laying down. See if you can get them to whiff an attack and punish it.

7. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

You can't really use Brad K+G / 2K+G vs Lei in BT many cases imho simply cause of the Speed issue and Koko K being 14f. Koko K also does more damage than Brad K+G (24 vs 23 dmg) which means Brad would need to be +4 in order to use it (17f) which he isn't in most cases (66k+g on guard in okizeme for instance). Brad could really use a fast doublelimbed attack imo. I think a general understanding of the situation is the best you can have, knowing setups and so on and being able to really punish the sabaki attempts.

If he does koko K he remains in stance so if you evaded that it hurts. You can evade koko P on reaction and it has a total of 60frames so you can do what you want. If 6k hits your guard don't bother - it feels like he's at adv sometimes cause of range.

So basicly you need to battle his options with your own high damage options imo or simply get the fuck out. He'll win in the risk / reward department (yes k+g>2k+g is nice but as I said earlier) if you do somewhat pokes and he just scores that one big sabaki from time to time or he can really control the stagger situation after Koko K. Evade punish and OM K etc simply has to be part of your arsenal together with doing stuff on reaction otherwise Lei has already won the situation in the long run.

Sometimes a good Lei will simply wait to see what you do (and sabaki on reaction or delay his moves to get failed evade) and then you need to realize this and either attack straight in with something big or use 1p CH or the likes. Even if it's a hard thing mentally to do, cause you're scared, you really need to take him out of his comfortzone and keep him guessing as much as you do.

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    KiwE got good points, but theres something he forgot.

Brad K+G is something I wouldnt recommend. Leis main options out of Koko are Koko P, Koko K, and Koko u+P+K+G/d+P+K+G (which you forgot). The evade-> hai shiki move is main reason I recommend against trying any kind of 'big' move yourself.

However, Brads d+K+G should beat both the evade and Koko P.

You can also highpunch Lei out of Koko P if you delay it correctly (the sabaki window closes before the move hits). Its possible to learn to do this on reaction, although personally I cant make a difference between koko P and koko K, and highpunch wont beat the latter. Instant low punch will also beat Koko P.

Koko K is the main problem which Lei can almost spam against most opponents. It ducks under high moves so in essence in most situations it beats everything Brad could possibly throw out due to its speed, especially if you factor in the moment of indecision "what is Lei going to do?". Evade attack is possibly the only thing that Koko K wont beat instantly.

However, Brad can simply reverse koko K if Im not mistaken.

ps. Bottom line, often the games more complicated than just "sabaki-safe options" (which Brad doesnt really have anyway). In theory Akiras bodycheck should be good vs Koko Shiki but it isnt for example.

pps. Just my 10 cents.

9. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Brad's Phase Turn P+K is a DoubleMidKick class attack and on counter hit it will produce a stagger. This move along with 2P from PT are good options when you have a pretty good idea of what your opponent is going to go for when they're in one of those sabaki-happy stances.
    For example: if you 2K+G Shun everytime he goes into BT Sou, he can do K+G and jump over that and hit you so you might want to try K+G2K+G instead.

Another strat is to do Ducking K+G. After your opponent gets wise he might want to just bait Ducking K+G because it's unsafe so try to bait him by doing just the Ducking and countering depending on their action. You can throw/2K+G/evade/Sway Back/Slip/etc.

It's true that Brad doesn't have a readily available double limbed attack but if you use weird moves like his jumping K (8K or 9K, jumping double-kick class) you can throw your opponent off and discourage them from getting too sabaki-happy. That jumping kick is slow and it may look stupid but it's only -7 on block and on CH you can get a P6PK combo /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I know that it staggers on crouch hit. You sure it staggers on counter hit (crouching or standing)?

11. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Yep, crouching or standing. I noticed this in the command list before I even got my hands on version C. Once I got the 360 I tested it and it checked out.
    The thing that does not check out is how it's classed as a MDK but it still gets sabaki'd /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Myke, was this move just classified wrong in the move list or can certain MDK's get sabaki'd?

My bad, Deathsushi, if I got you beat up trying to hit opponents out of sabakis with Brad's PT P+K. Guess you can just put that move in the same category as 46K+G, they both look like double-limbed attacks but really aren't.

12. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yeah, I noticed the command list says stagger on CH, but I was always meaning to check it myself. I'll fire up the xbox later I guess and find out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As for getting sabaki'd, are you certain about that? The best test would be against Aoi's Tenchi'Inyou stance, which works against every standing single limbed and non-full circular attack.

13. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    All high and mid ones.

Anyways I tested, (with help from both hands and feet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif ) and Tenchi sabakis PT P+K.

I think the classification of PT P+K should be changed in the movelists, even if the reversal (I didnt test what it looks like) may be whatever. I remember some of attacks were classified according to how Aois reversals look when she reverses them.

ps. PT P+K causes a stagger on standing counterhit.