1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Best times to throw escape?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Calvin, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Just wondering what moves does the computer like to throw
    after.(their moves and my moves)

2. gamesmaster1_2be

gamesmaster1_2be Well-Known Member

there are times you should do throw escapes:
    1:Natural reaction. this is by far the hardes way to do it, and can only come experience and long time play.This is the only time it won't be anticipatory. you will probably inly be able to do one throw escape, because it is hard to make the distinction between throw and strike, then enter 2 throw escapes within less than 1 6th of a second (8 frames to be exact)
    2:After a guarenteed throw move.input up to 3 throw escapes during the recovery of an attack, then hold guard. quite tough.
    3:during an evade.you WILL eventually use these quite often, as the EDTEG(evading double throw escape)is incredibily useful.you can avoid linear and half-spinning attacks along with 2 throws. watch out for catch throws though.
    4:during a reversal
    know as RTE(reversal-throw escape)another great use.think of it, against another character(like vannessa), you can enter the middle reverse, taking out that level of play, and enter 2 throw escapes and hold guard immediately, in-case of whiffing.
    5:unlikely, yet it too is useful,eg, you may go to throw another human who is turtling, they may anticipate the throw , duck then throw you.as soon as you realise the whiff enter desired throw escape(s), then hold guard in case of whiffing action.

now for practice.
    firstly (and most obvious), play more!And what's more play to a competent level that matches or goes above your level.it's amazing how many things you can "absorb" through this.
    secondly, there is training mode, whilst it is very good compared to any other fighting game, it isn't as good as it could be.however, you can record another character dojng different things. the first attacking with pppk string or whatever, the second of pp then stop, then enter another pp in recording. third enter pp then throw you.
    third p then throw Etc.
    you see, throw escaping is all about having a good option select.
    hope this helps you.
    /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

gamesmaster, a few things.

First off, the throw escape buffer window is 10 frames. You were right with the 1/6th of a second...remember it's 60 frames/s.

I would recommend that Calvin focus on inputting a single throw escape after having a big move blocked. It seems like he's playing Lion. So, when his FC,f+P is blocked, throw escape. When his ff+KK is blocked, throw escape.

Now, about option select. You can only take advantage of this when you're recovering. So, you can't do this properly in training mode because it's not possible to have the CPU *block* a throw counterable move. Furthermore, these are very difficult tactics. I'd say 50% of good players use them on a regular basis and of that half only 10% can actually do a triple throw escape, or a dodge-double-throw-escape-guard, or even double-throw-escape-guard.

Calvin, to find exactly what moves a character has that are throw counterable, go to the movelist section of VFDC and look at the stats. There's a column that says *block*. If a move has -8 or greater negative value, it is throw counterable.

Also, Calvin, do a bit of research before posting. You asked about Akira's modified double palm, etc. If you take 5 mins to actually search (oh, look! a SEARCH button!) this site a bit, you'd have found a number of older posts in which that topic has already been covered.

cheers,

4. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Actually Calvin, Llanfair is probably just overlooking that there is a multiple throw escape exercise in trial training where your task is to perform a throw counterable move vs. Jeffry & then successfully escape his d+P+G, f+P+G or P+G while entering at least two escape commands.
    Trial training also covers evade throw escape guard amongst other things...go through it (if you haven't already)...you even get a trophy above your char's lifebar!
    Also, it is probably advisable to go through the VFDC movelist and find the throw counterable moves for ALL characters as you will be facing them and you don't want to be the only one having his option select skills tested.
    Aloha.

5. gamesmaster1_2be

that was only one thing!
    yes, i thought it was 10 frames as well, but some guy called "cba" said you had 8 frames, but whatever...
    by the way, is it 8 frames of execution then a an extra 10 frames of escape time, or 8 frames of execution then an extra 2 frames of escape time? cheers.

6. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I have been through trial mode and I got the little trophy at the top of
    my lifebar, but I can't seem to pull it off in Kumite.

7. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Practice.
    Also, keep in mind that the throwing game vs. the CPU is rather out of whack...the CPU will escape more throws than you (or any other human, for that matter) will. This really isn't a problem, though, if all you want to get to high king or emperor or whatever...you can pretty much ignore throws entirely, find a few moves the CPU eats consistantly and then play every opponent more or less the same. The damage you will take from the CPU's occasional throw simply won't match the punishment you can dish out upon it's head.
    Remeber of course that anti-CPU tactics won't translate to victories vs. humans and that this game was devised for head to head play between humans first and for picking up trinkets in Kumite like, fifteenth or something.
    Have a ball.

8. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

Regarding #5...

Does this mean that in theory you have enough time put in a low reversal, then immediately put in a guarding throw escape, protecting you from all three levels as well as one throw?

Something like... [2]+[P]+[K][P]+[G](hold [G])???

9. gamesmaster1_2be

no, because there is a recovery time after a whiffed reversal. you would reverse the low attacks, and high throws, but during the recovery time they can hit you mid or high. It's quite useful, sorry, very useful! but still, they can hit you high or mid, and you will still take damage. i only say hold [G] after because they may try an MC float counter while you accidently try to throw them.

10. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

I guess the question now is "what is that recovery time?" I can't find on this site frame data for reversals...

However, I'm guessing that whiffing the reversal, then immediately holding [G] would have the same effect frame-wise as whiffing the reversal and then doing a guarding throw escape, when it comes to preventing striking attacks.

If it did work, though, i.e. the guarding throw escape essentially canceled the recovery time... /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. gamesmaster1_2be

recovery is the same.