1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Best use of reversals?

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by TranceQuina, Jun 20, 2012.

1. TranceQuina

TranceQuina Member

So I keep hearing that Aoi's reversals are never the wisest choice defense-wise. When *is* there a favorable time to use them? Are they just too risky?

2. gns168

gns168 Member

PSN:
    gns168
    XBL:
    gns168
    Once in awhile when I can read the other player I am able to connect and do damage.

The reverse is also true when facing another much stronger Aoi that can read my play. I get reversed high. medium and low. I seem to freeze and forget that Aoi has plenty of moves to mix it up ...

3. Zaarock

Zaarock Member

PSN:
    xaerock_RVR42
    XBL:
    Zaarock
    I'm still very much a noob with Aoi, but from my experience I've had the most use of the reversals against Akira's elbow rushdown (if people spam it, but then they're probably not very good) and I guess they might be good against someone like Lion who has a lot of good lows since the [G]+[P]+[K] reversal or sabakis don't work against any lows?

4. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

Reversals are the most effective option under the circumstances...

*Most important* 1. You are 100% without a doubt positive which move the opponent will use.

2. The move can be predicted but neither sabakis or parries will work (Double limb attacks and full circulars) against the move leaving reversals as the second best option (behind guarding).

Unless one of these situations apply, and even then, use reversals sparingly. Reversals leave you very vulnerable to throws and delay attacks.

Try to throw more and like you said try to learn Aoi's mixups better. You'll learn how to counter reversals in no time.

Blocking is a better option, Lion has a fearsome mid and low game in FS that will have you eating counter hits if you try reversals. [6][4][P] is a better option against low poking Lion players. It's a mid that. if timed correctly, will beat out his sweep yet also sabaki low punch attacks. [P]+[K]+[G] (Tenchi Stance) works well in blind rushdowns. Often against yet not limited to characters like Jacky, Lau, and Akira who like to pressure with quick attacks.

5. gns168

gns168 Member

PSN:
    gns168
    XBL:
    gns168
    Thanks for the tips tiripsm

6. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    Tiripsem pretty much covered it. I'd like to add that reversals are traditionally a psychological pressure tool and that works partly because they are so risky. Reversing is badass.

And yes, one can buffer throw escape into reversal, handy in certain situations.

The risk ratio seems better with Aoi than with others, since each and every reversal allows for ground throw attempt now. It beefs up the damage. Tested with Kage:

P / P (bt) 29/55 dmg
    2P 29/55 dmg
    elbow 33/59 dmg
    mid kick 35/61 dmg
    high kick (/bt) 34/60 dmg
    low kick 32/58 dmg
    flip kick 37/63
    knee 35/61

7. GamerMan

GamerMan New Member

What about use in nitaku situations? Or nitaku situations against an opponent in a stance?

8. Dullyanna

Dullyanna Member

I'd say the BEST use of reversals is when you can 100% react to something with them and get more damage from doing so then your other options. Otherwise they aren't particularly worth it unless the opponent is extremely predictable in a specific situation.

9. sibarraz

sibarraz Well-Known Member

Like a good friend told me, a good reversal character is the one which only use the reversal at the precise moment, and not even looking to use it, I think that must be used as a last resource tool and when you are 100% sure that it will connect

btw, are reversals techeable? or I can pull an ground throw after it?

10. Lord_Hollow

Lord_Hollow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    I believe on most reversal animations, the ground throw attempt is guaranteed: They have to correctly break it.

11. Lord_Hollow

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    I primarily use them to (try to) reverse low attacks in an attack string. They are generally slow, are the 3rd or later hit in said string.

12. Dullyanna

Dullyanna Member

For some reversals (Can't remember which) the ground throw doesn't show up as a combo, but doesn't turn green + the CPU doesn't tech out of it when set to fastest recovery settings.

Also ya'll prolly know this but a successful reversal on a wakeup attack (At least the generic kicks) is a free 33P+K.

13. Lord_Hollow

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    Dullyanna, add LordHollow to XBL. We'll get some matches in.

14. Lord_Hollow

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    I think a good rule of thumb is any reversal that doesn't leave Aoi standing is hard pressed to allow the ground throw attempt afterward. I've see that too: Sometimes it turns green, sometimes not.

15. Dullyanna

Dullyanna Member

Sorry for going off topic, but anyways I'm gonna nick that off since I don't have a 360 that can go on the internet anymore [​IMG] And while I have PS3 I pretty much just stick to offline. If you're in Ohio though (Especially Cbus or possibly Cinci ranbats) then we'll inevitably be able to get games in.

16. Lord_Hollow

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    No problem. I woulda showed up in Ohio yesterday, but I had to work. [​IMG]

17. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza

Yeah, this is one of the very positive changes I noticed about Aoi in FS. A ground throw is pretty much guaranteed after a reversal of any type of linear or half circular strike in this game, unlike in vanilla where it's only after a reversal of a left-limb linear or half circular strike. Gives even more incentive for me to try to be proficient with using them at the appropriate times.

Kruza

18. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

I think the best thing to start working on with reversals is hitting big telegraphed moves that you really want your opponent to think twice before using.

Wolf's Shoulder Charge
    Lei-fei's Arrow punch
    Vanessa's charge kick

All moves that are really easy to reverse, and your only other good option is to evade, since they all stagger on block. And even then the evade can be the better option a lot of the time.

If you can master that stuff, then just starting looking for patterns. Opponent always throws out some big slow mid on wakeup to beat your rising kick? Reversal. Opponent starts every match with a somersault kick? Reversal.

Just remember the point of the reversals are that they're big and flashy and make your opponent think you're inside their head. Once you land one, stop using them. Landing that one reversal is putting a big sign up that says delayed attacks and G-cancels will hit for free. So you have to take advantage and start elbowing your opponent out of their delay attempts, instead of actually letting yourself get hit out of failed reversals.

19. Lord_Hollow

PSN:
    LordHollow_KMH
    XBL:
    LordHollow
    I try to use them to push slow lows, especially those in attack strings, like Akira's Jashin Hisei ([6][P][4][K] comes to mind)

20. sibarraz

sibarraz Well-Known Member

I'f Im ground I had to guess one of the 3 directions of the ground throw or this are not techeable?