1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Big post of VF5 ideas - read inside

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Grub, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Grub

Grub Member

I've been gathering up some thoughts the past 2 or 3 weeks, and this is the post(my first post as well, I'm new) about all those ideas unified into one, HUGE idea..

Here we go.

First off, improvements in Quest mode ---

Home Building : Like the Event Square, it is a special building you can select. Inside is lots of things to ramp up the experience.

You start off at first with a little dirty shack because you're dirt poor and haven't begun to fight. But let us move away from the aesthetic part, we'll get to that in a moment.

When you enter the house building, you'll enter the 3D house(not a screen like the map) and there will be multiple options to choose from, but some depending on how good you are at fighting or how rich you are.

When you start off, you have 2 options - Newspaper and Mail

Newspaper is a slow, primitive version of information gathering. Inside there are multiple pages. Each page could contain multiple stories of a single category. You hit the right button when you enter your house, the cursor goes to the newspaper item, and you hit X(or O if you please) to select it. The view goes over to the newspaper, you see the hands of your character opening up the newspaper, and now you can select stories. The first page(which really has multiple mini-pages inside of it) has news stories, like an up and coming fighter predicted to be the next best thing, or a stunning upset, like Dragon Lau brutalizes Chibita. Each story could be clicked on and you could read the full story.

After the news page, there's a list page(Lots of lists, like best rookie, top 10 players, bottom 10 players, most respected players(I'll get to that in a bit), best dojos(once again, more on this) and so on and so forth, each list you an click on to get a closer view on).

The third page contains statistics map-wide (Player with most wins, player most succesful at throw reversals, players on winning streaks) and once again they could be clicked on like the lists to get a better look.

The fourth page would have records in them (Most career wins, most career throw reversals, most career throws, longest consecutive winning streaks, longest consecutive first hit streaks) and of could they would be updated if other players make it in the record list(s).

The fifth page would have advertising from certain tournaments, arcades, and dojos(this will be talked about).

The sixth and final page would contain bonus things (Like super special tournaments and the VF Halll of Fame).

Now that we're off the subject of the newspaper function, let's move on to the mail function.

The mail is once again in a low-class category. From this you'll get invitations to tournaments, pleads to drive a certain player away from an arcade, defend a dojo from thieves trying to steal their seal and their secrets(more on this in the dojo section, any other references to dojos before the dojo section will not have this disclaimer) and jackpots you might hit every once in awhile(plus certain hidden events, like your father dies and you hide in a corner in your house for 5 date units crying your eyeballs out).

As you get richer(from popularity money, which you earn from the opinion of you from things like fighting and teaching) and better, you can upgrade your house. You can make it bigger(which then makes it possible to have more items in your house), buy more items when you upgrade your house, and decorate it in any way see fit.

The other items are things like Phone(Other computer players can challenge you this way or you him, telemarketers could call you to annoy you, or some mysterious, gravelly voiced guy would offer you a chance to enter the *equivalant of life-risking tournament with award of some insane value*.), Computer(which from here you can draw on the paint program, print it inside the game, and glue your little drawings wherever you want to in your house.), the internet upgrade for your computer (an advanced version of the newspaper, except there are websites, tips on moves from AI Message Board users, and the stories discussed in the newspaper or the websites are also discussed by the AIs which you can read, dialect varying from user to user, and other things like "How do I do this move with *character*?" which you can read and gain wisdom from), and television (where you can watch tournaments if you aren't invited, or other events, like news), and a host of other loads of things. That about sums up the house feature.

Now onto the points feature. First, the pop points. Through good matches in your fighting and showing off to the spectators, you can gain pop points. These pop points give you fans that could give you free items at your house, gather up and scream at you outside your window(sometimes holding banners with your name on it, for example, "BARKLEY002 RULES! WE LOVE YOU!" and a little drawn picture of you with all your items and colors on, and ask for your autograph, but of course all of this screaming girl thing happens only when you're very popular. Pop points also means you have better chances at being invited to tournaments.

Another point feature is Fighting Experience. Like when you were in the kyus, you had experience, and it does help to level up, but only in the kyus. Afterwards, it becomes much more valuable. Once again, it will be a large factor in deciding if you're invited to a tournament or not, and if you get loads of FEXP, suddenly, all the players (newbie or premiere) want to beat you, which means lots of mail, phone calls, and e-mail (which is another feature of the internet upgrade) about challenges. Fighting Experience can also help your pop points because eventually, even if you stink, fans really begin to somewhat honor people wh o have fought for a long time. You get FEXP no matter what, if you lose or win, but you get more if you win.

Next up is respect points - Some of which comes from respectable decisions in Quest mode (Donating fight money to charities, going easy on newbie fighters if you're a Champion) and from being a really good Sensei/Martial Arts Teacher.

Respect points help your FEXP, but not your pop points. Respect points, like the forementioned other point systems, are a deciding factor in tournament invitations and player challenges. However, having loads of respect points means
    sometimes if you check the newspaper/internet/TV, someone will open a restaurant.. With your name emblazoned on the front in honor of you! BARKLEY002's Chinese Restaurant.. Another thing having lots of respect points does is it makes the old fighters (ones who have been playing since the beginning) begin to really admire you. Like, let's say you create a little symbol representing you and you give it to somebody. As your respect points get really high, the person you gave it to makes some copies and now all the highly respected old-school players are wearing your emblem on their clothing and tattoed onto their arms.

Now, onto the dojo feature. Feeling that you just don't want to participate in tournaments? No more arcades? Getting too repititive? Well, instead of hurting, try helping! That's right, open up a dojo and teach the skills of your favorite character to brand new players eager to learn how to fight. AI Newbies will ask questions with which you can open up a menu in respond. You can go into conversational teaching mode, spar teaching mode, and stuff like that.

Like the house feature, you start off with a small, dinky dojo that is probably in the middle of a strip mall. As you treat your students nice and they begin to like you(and also learn alot), you get a nice chunk of popularity money from each class because so many people are beginning to come over. Every once in awhile, when you're the tip of the top grandmaster sensei, perhaps a premiere player might want to try mastering another character, and since you are apparently the end-all be all, he pays full pop to learn from you, and if he likes you and learns alot, ALL 3 OF YOUR POINT CATEGORIES sky rocket.

Back to the old shacky dojo again, you can setup practically everything: From the name on the front of your dojo (font, color, style, size) to the very material the mats are made out of, everything is customizable, but also cost something. The very first few things you get are free when you open a dojo(another note, you must be at least a veteran to open a dojo) for things like signs and what not are very simple, like a piece of paper stapled onto the old brick on your building that says in letters printed from your computer "BARKLEY002'S DOJO, CURRENTLY TEACHING WITH GREAT SKILL; LAU, LION, SHUN, WOLF" and when you get inside, everything is bargain, and that may only attract a few students at first. You set the price depending on your dojo rating (It goes , when adding all the telltale stats like student productiveness, student respect, from 1 star to 10++ stars). If you have a 1 star rating(which is the new dojo rating), you can set the money payent per student from something low like 10 to 20 fight money units. If you're good, the word gets around that you're a really good sensei, and the opinion of you and your dojo goes up, thus increasing your popularity money(which you can use to upgrade the dojo). Things like upgrading the dojo can get you better signs(which attracts more people because it is flashier), better mats(increases student comfort which increases student respect), the chance to buy a seal(you can pick from a slew of already created symbols, or you can pick the one that you might've created from your home's computer paint program) that will be hung up on the wall, as well as the seal's symbol put on the gi's of your students. A framed picture of you on a stand can also be bought and increases student respect and respect points in general. The better you are at teaching, the more word gets around about you, and the higher rating you dojo has, all contributes to how good you are as a whole.

More things you can do is set up your own student ranking system with belt colors( you could just have 3 colors which would take a long time to advance, or you could have 500 hundred different ranking colored belts, which means every week someone is bound to have a new belt color) and you can configure the theme of the dojo, how many pillars there are(this costs money), and you can configure the heck out of the student and teacher gis.

Okay, I'm gonna take a beather here for a minute or two and then I'll continue. All this typing is making my fingers sore. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

Gotta admire your enthusiasm.

3. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Rubbish.

Although the dojo idea could be ok as long as someone who isn't you develops it further.

4. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Home version of VF5 wont be out for ahwhile. Maybe we should concentrate on the actual game and not the kumite/quest style extra's. You know silly stuff like game system changes new additions. If stages will have undulation or not. The Ali like return to the ring of Taka.

5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

That's alot of ideas. IMO, that stuff is more appropriate for a VF RPG. For VF5, all I want is the old save system. Hopefully the PS3 can handle Taka.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

home building

This is neat, but I think best left to another game. It's very sim-game sounding, and I think sega plans a game with the arcade in mind. You can't sit for hours on an arcade machine reading newspapers and mail and checking the phone etc. All the PS2 dressup stuff is a function of something you can actually do at arcades in japan, so that's why there's quest mode etc in the PS2 - not because sega wants you to play house, but because they want to give you a way to get cool customizations in return for lots of fighting.

Next up is respect points - Some of which comes from respectable decisions in Quest mode (Donating fight money to charities, going easy on newbie fighters if you're a Champion) and from being a really good Sensei/Martial Arts Teacher.

I kinda like this. Respect points can lead to special invitationals which can lead to neat items. You can also have missions based on them - "earn 10 respect points for a comeback" .. 1 for coming back from a 150 pt defecit, 2 for 180, 3 for 190+... etc. You could lose respect points for pouncing on people after they're dead :p

Now, onto the dojo feature.

You know what they could do with this? A new AI mode. You teach individual players (not characters) tricks and strats and combos, and they imitate them. You stick your AI 'student' into quest mode or some sort of kumite, and the better your strats and combos are, the better he does, and the better your dojo's reputation becomes. You can charge money for students based on the dojo's rep and only enter the prize student into tournaments, kumite, etc.

So anyway - neat stuff. Maybe not VF entirely, but probably fun anyway.

7. Grub

Grub Member

You know, that whole dojo thing in single player was my idea for a new AI mode. Newbie players would be randomly generated(their names generated out of thousands of key phrases) and most of them learning from you mostly be the characters you say you teach on your sign.

I'm not talking about the arcade version, I'm talking about the home console version (if a VF5 for the arcade is ever actually made, the home version is what I'm talking about(if that is ever decided upon as well)).

8. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

I'm seriously hoping that AM2 concentrates on the game, not the extras. Extras can't make a game, especially one like VF. The Dojo idea is cool, but it's really just time taken away from making the core game good. The point of VF is the fighting, not the crazy franchise/manage your own dojo and generate offspring mode.

Unfortunately, I really don't know what SEGA is planning for VF5. EVO is already perfect to me... of course I'm no expert. Still, I'm sure that they'll find some way to improve the game.

9. katana

katana Active Member

Actually, I like a lot of these ideas. I think AM2 has ramped up the one player fun, compared to other fighting games. Hey, not eveyone has buddies to play against..
    Whatever happens though , VF5 I'm sure will be awesome.

10. Aoi_Mei

Aoi_Mei Well-Known Member

Hopefully Pai uses Koen-Ken in VF5. Thats really only thing Im looking forward.

11. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

That house feature and fan stuff is from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, right? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. Grub

Grub Member

It is? Wow. If I were a little less mature, I would start cussing out my own ideas.

13. Grub

Grub Member

To the guy saying it would detract, there isn't too much you could add to the actual fighting system. I mean, it's almost perfect. I mean, you could add more, but that's what Tekken did. All they did was add characters and add walls and stuff. I'm sure they could add a few more things, but after the novelty wears off, it's the same ol' game.

Just like after I won the final mega tournament with Lau, I had no more inspiration. I didn't feel like going back and fighting more people to get more items. I mean, if you play every character, it'll last awhile, but there's only so much you can add to the fighting system

On the other hand, the respect points, the dojo, the house feature, things like that would make people want to keep playing because maybe they wanted to get more happy students, or test that other student of theirs and give them a higher ranking belt, or add on to that house, or check out who's the best player on the "internet". Maybe they've been doing nothing else but fighting, and now want to teach lots of young students your fighting technique so it is never forgotten, and later on you can read the newspaper or the internet and see that they just defeated the best player in the whole game. Imagine the pride that would swell up from that. Starting from a young little fighter to the best fighter on earth, thanks to your wonderful teachings. And he thanks you in the news articles. Suddenly, because your student won the biggest fight ever and he told everyone is was because of you, ALL YOUR POINTS SOAR TO UNGODLY HIGHTS and you become the next Bruce Lee.

People love that stuff, and truth be told, so do the critics.

14. Grub

Grub Member

Another thing, maybe after you become mega popular/respected, all your fights have an insane amount of people cheering for you. Like at that one stage in the cage match. Instead of just some cheering and booing for everyone, the crowd erupts into a huge roar of appluase and cheering when you land a good hit and they go nuts like they climb the cage and stuff when you win a big match.

And your win poses would be different if the fans were like that, instead of whoever going "It's a matter of court, I'm gonna win!", you see your character signing autographs and whatnot for little boys and girls for a few seconds before moving onto the next fight.

15. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    [ QUOTE ]
    Grub said:

And your win poses would be different if the fans were like that, instead of whoever going "It's a matter of court, I'm gonna win!", you see your character signing autographs and whatnot for little boys and girls for a few seconds before moving onto the next fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

.......just stop it

16. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Once again, this sounds like something you'd see if they made "The Sims: Virtua Fighter Edition". /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IMO, this game is meant to be played in VS mode (this IS an arcade game after all). Those features you mentioned (teaching students, respect points, etc.) are interesting, but I'd rather spend my free time playing against human competition instead of building a dojo. Version C's AI mode got boring very quickly for me. It seemed like a good idea at first, but eventually it became painfully obvious that it was filled with problems. Some people may have liked it, but I'm glad it's gone in Evo. Don't get me wrong, Quest mode is fantastic, but I'd prefer playing in VS mode any day. Come to FSB!! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Grub

Grub Member

Then play it in VS mode. Yeesh. It wouldn't be the whole game. It would be an expanded quest mode. You wouldn't have to play it. Plus, I don't have any buddies AT ALL who thinks that VF is cool. They think it sucks and they all play Tekken.

And think about it, your popular character from the sim/quest mode could be brought into vs or arcade mode and people in the cage match stage could be holding up signs that had your character's name on it.

18. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Yeah that would be cool because then when you were getting owned on VS mode due to the fact that you hadn't been playing it enough (as you'd been pissing about on "Dojo mode") you could take some comfort from the fact that there were some nice pretty signs in the background while you were getting your ass handed to you.

LOLOLOLOOOOOLMAOMFG!!!!! D0OD DAT IS SUCK A GRAET IDEEA!!!1111

19. Grub

Grub Member

.....Huh?

20. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

Ppl have their own reasons for playing the game, just because you have sick amounts of competition, doesn't mean he does. Believe it or not, you have ppl who play the game casualy and could careless about being able to pull off EDTEGs, killer combos and what not. Doesn't mean their opinions and ideas don't count. He probably enjoys playing the game more than you do but for different reasons.