1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Big post of VF5 ideas - read inside

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Grub, Sep 14, 2003.

1. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

If there are throw range diffs outside catch throws, it sure isn't big enough to be noticed. At least by the likes of scrubby me.

Overall, I just want to see the grapplers act more like grapplers, I don't actually really care how it is done. My ideas were based on my mostly 2D experiences, and may not really apply in VF. Basically, imho, Jacky & Co. can flail around until kingdom come for all I care, but Wolf/Jeff/Goh/Vanessa/Aoi should really depend more on their throws than strikes. At the moment, afaik, that just isn't the case, and there is no strong grappler feeling in this game, the likes of which Gief/Potemkin/Alex/Hugo/Birdie, etc. emanate.. Not necessarily a bad thing, it's just something that I personally miss.

The HP differentiation, yeah that's exactly how they do it in the 2Ds. GGX2, Potemkin takes -13% of incoming damage, whereas on the opposite end, Kliff takes +31% (note that these are extremes). In GGX2 at least, this is done on top of the varying float damage due to character weights.

Akira - yeah, but at high levels of play (not mine obviously), does execution really matter? It's really the application at that point, no? I'm more impressed by a how a move gets used, not so how it is done. I mean, yeah, they'd need to downgrade the moves, if they were easier to do, but I think chars like Shun/Vanessa (easy execution, difficult application) are far better design.

Oh and yeah, the tourney idea sounds pretty good, too. I mean the code is already pretty much there (those Quest tourneys).

2. Snake_Eater

Snake_Eater Well-Known Member

I think that it would be neat to arrange tournaments over the net, If you got good enough you could fight Chibita over a tournament on your PS2.

3. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

FUCK realism...why are you trying to fix something that's not broken?

Movement is fine the way it is.

"Overall, I just want to see the grapplers act more like grapplers, I don't actually really care how it is done."
    That line pretty much sums up your views, you might as well have said..."even if the gamplay is shit, I don't care because the grapplers act like grapplers! VF owns!" And anyways, how do you figure that Jeff, Wolf, Aoi etc are grapplers? They seems like normal characters to me...Why not Kage, Akira etc?...

HP differentiation wouldn't work in VF.

"Akira - yeah, but at high levels of play (not mine obviously), does execution really matter?"
    YES

"I mean, yeah, they'd need to downgrade the moves, if they were easier to do, but I think chars like Shun/Vanessa (easy execution, difficult application) are far better design."
    That's YOUR opinion...What if I don't like characters like Shun, Vanessa? VF gives you a choice of characters for exactly that purpose, variety...So why would you want to take that away?

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I think the movement could be made to look and feel more natural and have more aspects.
    I want to see more defensive options for blocking. GIve characters style specific blocks...have moves that are JUST blocks, would add another level to just holding [G] or [2]+[G]

Ground grappeling game...the ability to roll a bit I think woudl be very interesting in VF.

I would like to see throw range and striking ranges a bit different per character as well. I think the idea of a damage system could work...but you would have to have some advantages for smaller, lighter characters.

Bring back limbs getting caught and some differences in sweeps...if it just barely catches you, it should NOT knock you down..maybe stumble...

5. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Nice ideas there snappy. I agree /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Right, they are just my opinions. I'd prefer gameplay over realism, myself.

Variety IS what I want. To me, the game is mostly a striker's game. Chun Li <-> Zangief encompasses a far larger variety spectrum than Pai <-> Jeff. And I think Sega knows this lacking, and has been trying to develop the grapplers (Aoi added, Vanessa added, then Vanessa's ground game developed and Goh added. And heck even Brad has a cinch game).

VF4E is a great game with nothing broken per se. It's not so much fixing what's broken, it's just wondering how it can be improved. And it's naive to think that this game can't be improved.

7. Snake_Eater

There has to be a happy median between realism and gameplay, otherwise you just get another Tekken. I would like to see more variety, though.

8. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

Wish list of bells and whistles i had since playing VF
    1. Characters would speak actual words, taunt each other, howl words or even quotes of frustrations instead of the usual "heah!" & "hurr!"

2. occasional cinematics. E.g. i always had the idea of u fighting jeff on his island and when he lands a splash mountain on you, the moment u get smashed into the ground, a big ocean wave crashes onto the beach and splashes water all over the competitors.

3. Speaking of terrain variation, how abt stages indoors? Sort of like T4 stages with pillars, bar counters, chairs blocking the way, maybe even with dynamic 'fences' where audiences push you back into the ring should you get too near them

9. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

i am surprised ppl would like beefed up jumping attacks. personally id prefer an elimination of nearly all jumping attacks, especially that silly flying knee that sarah, jeff, and kage do. its just so weird to look at. other jumping attacks are tolerable, because they look a little itty bit more natural. but generally jumping attacks just look weird. i guess its okay for kage just cause he has too much silly stuff going on.

i would love for sega to implement an even more complex stun / crumple game. i think that was genius in 4 and evo.

i also think throw breaking should make the breaker eat a small amount of damage. he shouldnt get off totally undamaged. to me, it feels like you got caught sleeping, your opponent landed an attack, but you dont eat any damage? strange. especially for some of the throws where jeff manhandles you. perhaps make characters eat 10 - 15% of the throws damage even when they break? 7-10 damage for a broken splash mountain seems fair. and it would give heavy grapplers just a small small advantage.

i think the grapplers should get an air throw, like doa. it wouldnt change much, wouldnt even mean much, but itd be a nice little bonus. its not as if float combos are so realistic anyway. if youre lazy and you dont want to do a strike combo, just do an air throw (that does less damage or something). seems fun and not too unfair.

i wish they would do something with oki. the window of invincibility is still kind of annoying. i dont know how to fix it, but its definitely something i enjoy less.

finally, and most important. BRING BACK TAKA!

10. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

"i also think throw breaking should make the breaker eat a small amount of damage. he shouldnt get off totally undamaged. to me, it feels like you got caught sleeping, your opponent landed an attack, but you dont eat any damage? strange. especially for some of the throws where jeff manhandles you. perhaps make characters eat 10 - 15% of the throws damage even when they break? 7-10 damage for a broken splash mountain seems fair. and it would give heavy grapplers just a small small advantage."
    So you're saying I would take damage after breaking say a GS? If anything I should get a free combo on Wolf.

"i wish they would do something with oki. the window of invincibility is still kind of annoying. i dont know how to fix it, but its definitely something i enjoy less."

I don't think you understand the VF system or you wouldn't be saying that...I'm guessing you're a Tekken player.

11. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

bmf:

actually ive never really played tekken deeply though i do think it is a good game. i used to play 2d games almost exclusively but have been playing vf for about 2 years now.

can you explain why you think otherwise regarding throw breaking and oki? that would be more helpful to me in attempting to understand vf's system.

thanks.

12. Shadowdean

I think he is on the right track with throw breaking...I don't think you should be hurt if you escape a throw, what would be cool would be to have a counter-throw attack based on the characters art. Aoi could then try to transition to another throw that does a little less damage whereas Jacky might do a short series of strikes...shun could puke on the person, causing them to fall.

13. Mankey

Mankey Active Member

I always want fighting games to be more realistic.
    I think they should transend the "Energy bar."
    It would be neat if there were a "Health meter" and an "Energy meter". The health meter would gauge damage (to your person) and the energy meter would gauge exertion or energy depletion. Which would go down as you act or use moves.
    There have been "Ki meters" in DragonBall Z games(Super Famicon) which have the gist of this idea.
    Damage to your health meter would slow down recovery for your energy meter, the more energy the stronger the attack and other implications would be added.

Hmm...actually, Virtua Fighter is complicated enough...

But, I do think they should add more Down/Recover moves such as the ability to block when Down, and such moves as the Dance of Death.

[Edit]
    Another thing, there is a game called Shenmue.

14. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

hmmm..IMHO, i wouldnt like that in VF. That's because it makes it alot harder for the guy with less health to fight back, its like the weak gets weaker and forces them to play machi in order to win.

15. kungfusmurf

I say let's make all the characters fight naked. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. Shadowdean

now, lets be honest, you were thinking of Jeffry when you wrote that?

17. kungfusmurf

Actually no, I was thinking of Shun Di. /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

18. Snake_Eater

Stop, you're making me puke.

19. JetLancer

JetLancer Well-Known Member

For me, I would like Akira's knee to have a new input command. I wish it would be like [6][6][K]+[G]. His double palm should be [1][6][P] and his single palm [3][6][P]. His shoulder ram [1][6][P]+[K] and DLC [3][K]+[G][6][P][4][6][P]+[K]. These changes would be really great because those are hard moves to perform.

20. JetLancer

JetLancer Well-Known Member

For Lau the combo [3][P]+[K] [2_][3][P][3][P]+[K] [2_][3][P][3][P]+[K] should be made easier like [2_][3][P][3][P]+[K] should be changed to [1][3][P][3][P]+[K]. These changes would make a big difference. Sega should make all the moves easier so people could use them easier. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif