1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

BLACKSTAR's video thread

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by BLACKSTAR, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    This thread is (more or less) a dump that will feature all kinds of vids: match recordings I've made (featuring myself or other players) and tutorial videos I'm planning on making.

If you guys have any comments or critques (good or bad), by all means post here and let me know.

Offline Tournament vids:

Virtua Fighter @ Final Round 18 (Tournament, ATL Georgia, 03/20/15)

Please excuse the crappy sound, gotta work with what we have! Itabashi Zangief in the house!!!!!

The Virtua Fighter Tournament @ Final Round 16 -- (03/29/13)

Aight, I'm like a month late (sorry, been busy :/), but I finally got every usable video I have on my youtube website. Here's a playlist of all of my available VF @ Final Round 16 vids (25 vids total).

:D Special shoutouts to DRIFT for recording alot of these vids! :D

Online Match vids:

Online Matches

Online Battles [05/17/13] f/ GentlemanThief, STL Tm, BLACKSTAR

Online Battles [05/17/13,part 2] f/ GentlemanThief, STL Tm, Xzyx987X, BLACKSTAR

Online Battles [01/08/13] w/ GentlemanThief, STL Tm, BLACK STAR -- now with random awesome music
    -The beginning sets of a huge 5+ hour online session for me.

Online Battles [02/20/13] w/ Denkai, ShinyBrentford, Rare Entity, Shidosha, STL Tm, BLACK STAR and more -- ft/ random muzik

Instructional vids:

How to VF! series -- a series dedicated toward teaching VF concepts to newer players
    Episode 1 - The VF Triangle:

Sarah Bryant - Quick Tip #1 - Valkyrie Low Wall Hit

Making a currently ongoing series of vids breaking down Sarah's movelist, move-by-move. This is my first attempt at these types of videos and will probably redo it later on after I finish this version of the vids.​

Beware that these vids are turning out to be kinda long.... :/ Also, there is relatively n00b-ish information mixed in with higher level tips for the different attacks.

Part 1: Overview.

Part 2: P button attacks.

Part 3: K button attacks.

Part 4: P+K attacks.

More to come later this week.

Crits plz.​
    ________________________________________________________________________​

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Stl_Tim, Wakke, Dennis0201 and 11 others like this.
  2. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Update, 01/11/13 -- Online matches

3. Starsauce

Starsauce Member

Don't stop now!

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  4. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Original Post Updated -- Online Battles [02/20/13]

5. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Sorry! Been busy with work, but I'm working on more vids

6. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

I just like how good your vids make me look.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  7. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    03/11/13 -- Update, New Instructional Vid

8. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    5/9/13 -- Update, VF @ Final Round 16 vid playlist up

9. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    06/11/13 -- Update, Sarah Movelist Breakdown (v1.0, more vids coming soon)

erdraug and Craigbot like this.
  10. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Blackstar, when you mention there's 95 moves from normal stance without counting flamingo, slides and step stance, you forgot to mention there's also BT ;)

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  11. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    oh man, thanks, totally forgot :p

12. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    I also forgot to mention that you can punish 2P mash with Backdash-->fast mid

13. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    No worries, it's impossible to cover EVERYTHING in a single video anyway ;)

I'm watching the second vid ATM. Thank you, it's very interesting, even for a non-sarah player like me, because it familiarizes me with her options. For example, i didn't know [3][P][P] was -1 on NH - I should attack from now on!

Looking forward to the next installment!

However I have to protest on what you said about Sarah not having strong half-circulars.

[4][4][P] tracks to her stomach 10f ERROR ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE whoah what happened there i blacked out for a moment.
    [4][4][K] tracks to her back 13f ERROR ERROR sorry, there's something wong with my brain, it can't seem to process this information and keeps overloading :D

Of course both moves go BT which seems rather risky, and [4][4][P] is not that rewarding so maybe it's not worth it. But you also mention that [3][P] tracks stomach - say is that my brain on fire?

Yeah, [3][P] is as fast as a jab AND mid/high followups, just in case an opponent evaded and pressed buttons.

Now, i agree with your comment that [4][P] string can appear kinda weak compared to [4][4][K][K] since it requires a just-frame input for 47 damage. But you have to remember, other characters don't have moves as fast as Sarah to cover both their stomach and their back.

Anyway, let me look at Sarah's command list to see if i haven't forgotten any other semicircular moves:

So, i press the "sort by escape" button, hmm, interesting, [8][K][+][G], her "low crush" move as you mentioned, apparently also tracks to her stomach, covering both low punch abare and half of random evades. Nice bonus, kinda slow to be used as a tracking move though.

Hmm, what's that under it? [K], Vertical Hook Kick, 14f exe, launches on CH, tracks stom-

EDIT: OK, after taking a deep breath i went back and double-checked your video Blackstar.

@38:14 you actually said "Sarah doesn't have many fullcirculars that are good". And then you explain that the Sarah player has to guess using her half circulars.

So i'd like to apologize, i misheard and misinterpreted.

Sarah's half-circulars might appear strong at first glance but i understand now that they have to make up for this weakness. Besides, with the exception of [8][K][+][G] they are all high, which is an added weakness.

My bad.

Again, thank you for your vids, keep it up :)

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  14. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Thanks for the critique man. I'll be sure the check the vid again later because of it. But just to point out something....

TBH, I don't think I said 'Sarah didn't have strong half-circulars'. I'll check back later on to make sure.

But what I believe I did say was: 1) Sarah didn't have many good full-circulars unlike maybe Brad or Jacky; and 2) Sarah's half-circulars that covered her back aren't as good as her other half circulars, i.e. Sarah's weakness (when it comes to evading vs. Sarah) is her back; and 3) Because her full-ciruclars aren't that great, she has to rely on guessing where her opponent evades

Also, 44KK is not a just frame, so that's not really a con against the move (which is awesome :D).

But yeah, you're definitely right when saying she has good half-circular moves, and listing the different types of available half-circulars that she has. I didn't focus on listing her different half-circular moves, because I was mainly focused on each individual move I covered per-se, and felt like moves like K or 8K+G will be covered during their own time periods when i reach their part of the movelist

15. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i

Didn't see your edit. It's no problem man, thanks for even watching the vid. It's turning out much longer than I thought.... >__>

But yeah, I might need to make a vid covering evade-specific moves. There's an idea :)

Thanks again

16. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    06/20/13 -- Update, Sarah Movelist Breakdown part 3 is up

17. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Say, Blackstar, that Sarah [6][6][K] looks awfully like vanessa's OS [6][6][K][+][G] - does it, perchance, side crumple? In fact, do ANY of the kicks in the video sidecrumple? Or, dunno, maybe have guaranteed flamingo followups due to +frames?

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  18. BLACKSTAR

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    [= o = ] '.....aaaaaaaaaa....'

I totally forgot to mention that too..........

66K doesn't crumple on CH sideturned, but 3K does.

19. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Great discussion here. I'm looking for more Sarah contents.

20. steelbaz

steelbaz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Raze--
    XBL:
    spliffy baz
    Well since I use both characters i'll just fill in the blanks.

Sarah's Forward Slide [K] is like Vanessa's OS [6][6][K]+[G] because it gives side crumple on normal hit.

Sarah's [3][K] is like Vanessa's DS [3][K] and OS [3][K] as it only gives crumple on counter hit and all of them are 16 frames.

Vane's OS [6][6][K]+[G] is 18 frames whereas Sarah's FS [K] is 23 frames, but the slide animation has to take place before the 23 frame move can execute. So it's basically an unusable move.