1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Discussion in 'General' started by Truesonic2k, Jun 22, 2009.

1. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

When's the last time you went to an arcade :p ? Every SFIV machine I've seen (in America) has had a win limit on it. Meaning if you win four times in a row (or whatever the machine is set to) you get a game over. So you have at most four matches for a dollar. Arcade vendors and companies have unfortunately long circumnavigated that barrier for profits.

Older games though have no win limit though. There are famous Third Strike DVDs where a player has winning streaks in the high 50s and 60s at an arcade against high level competition (the Kuroda DVDs).
    Japan and Korea are totally different than the U.S. (and other countries) in terms of competitive gaming. Japanese love the lag free and smoke filled arcades. It's a very urban thing in Japan to stop by the arcade after work. Many arcades in Japan have sections for fighting games and other more complicated games and then separate sections for teenage or childrens' games, gambling games (I think Sammy's biggest money maker in arcades is the gambling pachinko(spelling?) machines), sticker machines, and other various machines.

Koreans flock to LAN centers to pay to play games like Starcraft, Warcraft, and Counter Strike. Instead of playing at home they chose to play at popular LAN centers. Korea also has a decent arcade scene (Tekken Crash) in large urban areas but it's nothing like Japan.

And...it costs $8,000 (probably) to get a VF5R set up including the boards, monitors, cabinet, VF.NET, etc. for private use. So $5,000 spread across a year or more isn't so terrible if you really want to play VF5R.

2. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

Yeah, last time I went to Korea, there were a ton of lan centers on the same street, not to mention the arcade centers being ridiculously packed... Try playing TTT with max damage and the timer set to 30 seconds... I saw a few cats with consoles, but most were on that WoW and local mmorpgs and such... In Japan, I saw one setup where they had Counter Strike:NEO at the arcade, and I'm like "Isn't that a PC game??" Totally different indeed!!!

3. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    THat is fucking retarded.

4. Bilal

Bilal Well-Known Member

+1

Technically, the foremost incentive of competition and winning (i.e. survival) is gone.

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Guess i'll be ordering the US version then [​IMG]

6. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

7. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be too bad... Dustloop.com has forums and faqs dedicated to this game, so you could read some of that, practice for a few minutes and be good to go, especially if you've played GG...

8. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Happy birthday fella.

9. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Well you too. Happy birthday.

10. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

11. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

So, how many heads from VFDC is getting this? I'll be on the PSN day one, then XBL the following day.

12. SilentNephilim

SilentNephilim Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SilentNephilim
    XBL:
    SilentNephilim
    I already pre-ordered my copy weeks ago ^_^

13. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

I have my copy of BB preordered and will be hopefully picking it up day one for 360.

14. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    yeah honestly it's not that hard of a game.

people might be discouraged by the fact that it's made by arcsys, but it honestly shares little in common in guilty gear.

like, guilty gear is training mode hell (arguably moreso than vf even). but in blazblue, you learn a handful of basic combos, and from there you just learn the matchups.

15. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

The command inputs seem less uselessly complicated anyways.

16. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    well, i almost don't feel like the two can be compared at all really. they're two different games meant for two different audiences. blazblue is a simpler game, but it's simple by design. and if you ask me, that's the appeal of the game more than anything.

most people who haven't really played guilty gear probably have no idea what frc's or slashbacks are, and yet those same people can pick up blazblue (regardless of what fighter you're coming from, really) and learn most of the basics in less than a day. it might take you a bit to get used to the wakeup mechanics and the throws/throw escapes (if you play vf you have no excuse to be bad at these :p) but other than that it's a pretty unique take on a basic formula.

17. Jigohro

Jigohro Well-Known Member

I've played it, and I don't like it too much [​IMG] .

Maybe I've just been playing GG for too long, but... The characters in BB just seem too generic compared to that, and the world-not so interesting. Just for comparison, I booted the GGX2#R on my pc a few times... The design of GG is just so much cooler, sometimes in a wacky way, sometimes not (Slayer and Baiken!). Blazblue, I don't dig.

That's not to say it's a bad game, of course... I like it much better than KoF XII, for example, but less than SF4. I play Rachel when I feel like it, but I'd rather be feeding the VF5R machine its 50Y diet than 100Y for BB... when I have GGXX at home [​IMG]

Here's hoping for GGX3 before BB2 [​IMG]

18. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

They are made by two different studios, so one doesn't exclude the other.

19. PompeyFraz

PompeyFraz Well-Known Member

Looks like some gay Manga shit. No thanks.

20. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    hahah Nice.

I'l pick it up if I can afford it, but I'm in no hurry