1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Boston: Sorry I didn't make it Weds night...

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Yupa, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I only got 4 hrs sleep this morning before a plumber showed up and banged away in my basement for the next 3 hrs... erhg. I couldn't get back to sleep until 5pm and I was too tired to drag my butt up to Somerville before going into work tonight... Sorry I missed you all, especially Rich. Maybe we can arrange to hook up on a Monday afternoon again in the near future.

Is the V-hold on the monitor fixed yet? Or did you spend the night playing for 30-40 mins then turning the game off for 20 mins and then playing for another 30 mins before the monitor started flipping again? The game does look awesome on a hi-res monitor. Hopefully the problem can be fixed and maybe someone could suggest to a tech to make the picture a little brighter... I don't much like the city stage as it's hard to see the characters.

Who's going to be at Goodtimes on Friday night? =)

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hey there, yeah we actually thought we missed you! After like around 830 we left to get something to eat. During that time Rich thought you'd be there. Of course we didn't see you and assumed that we just missed you. It was ok, I played Wolf and Jacky. I was basically working on my technique with Wolf the whole time.

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Andrew said...

Too bad we couldn't meet up :( Change to the day shift! :)

We were (well, at least I was) having hell with the sticks, too damn bouncy and soft. But, they did fix the monitor, no problems at all. If only they could make it 3/5 rounds, grrr. Hopefully Jillians will get it eventually; VF3 did really well there and was priced fairly..so, maybe.

I don't think I'll be around Friday, but...maybe. Not likely, though.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

You guys have it good! Broadway City -- blurry monitor, bad button placement, and $1.25 per game (2/3 rounds).

5. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

actually, the button placement is fine in broadway city. just the 1p side is kinda off.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

You have low standards. ;)

7. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

..I dont get it.

i just said the buttom placement is fine.. (jap style).

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Aye, hi-rez monitor is sweet! (Pinkgirl, you don't know what you're missing. No, I don't have access to a digital camera to get you photos to compare...)

Also, I can't remember if anyone has mentioned it yet here, but Goodtimes has 2 different button layouts. Left side is standard north american horizontal with G located diagonally below the P. But the right side is vertical like in Japan. Woo-hoo! =) G is located directly below the P button and the K is diagonally above and to the right of the P. With this set up and the stools that are available, I'll be able to put a lot of time into VF4 without the usual tendinitus I get in my right wrist since my VF2 binge days in Toronto... Also, one of the only other games I play in the arcade, Puzzle Fighter, is right next to VF4... it's 50cents to play, but it's best 2 out of 3 too :)

If Chinatown or port authority don't get VF4 soon in New York City, you should harras the management at Broadway City to at least make the rounds longer. 30 seconds really sucks now that I've had a taste of 60 second rounds at Goodtimes. How long are the rounds in Tekken 4 at Broadway City? If they're set at 45 seconds, then that's a good enough arguement there to get the VF4 machine set up similarly IMO. Also ask if you can get ring selection turned on. It's awesome that VF4 lists the dimensions of the rings along with what type of walls if any are present when choosing among different rings.

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Who wants a really bad picture of Andrew? Anyone?

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

They're not JP style!!

The 1P side is a reverse crescent, with the G button highest, P lower and K lowest. It's basically impossible to play the 1P side with thumb on G.

The 2P side is the correct crescent, G button lowest and K highest. However, the crescent isn't perfect...when using G button with your thumb, my wrist is slightly crooked. For my wrist to be pefectly comfortable, I would hit the P and K with the area below my finger tips (the lower ridge of your fingers). And this is me, small Asian guy!

Even Hiro, who uses his index for G finds the button placement less than ideal.

11. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

One thing I can't understand is why the US has this button style? Who came up with the bright idea to screw up a good thing? I couldn't imagine playing VF with a US layout.

12. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

AArrggghhh!!! You wouldn't!!!! You can't!!! I'll kill you!!!! ^%&@*$#&*@$#%^@%

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Where are you writing this from jeff? I think the Broadway City sticks are close to the DC button placement. Not too bad at all. I've been playing with a right angle setup which is just fine, so I think it just takes a bit of getting used too. Imagine Tekken 4 without the right punch, thats the setup for VF4 in LA. I would imagine Neo Geo setup, slight horizontal curve wih guard lowest and punch highest and kick just under punch would be the best. If you take your hand and put it flat on a table, thats what most peoples hands look like (this is good for people who use index on guard, not for people who use thumb on guard) Your index finger is the smaller than your middle finger and the fnger next to your middle finger is in between the height of your index and middle finger.

Can someone do a poll on the board on which finger do you use for guard in VF4? Also which way did the game controller designers in Japan plan the players to use for guard?

CrewNYC

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I meant BADASS! Really! I wouldn't let ANYONE know about the first picture.
    I meant to get a picture of shang too, but couldn't. I guess everyone can picture an asian dude with short black hair.
    No yupa though. I'll have to make another trip just to visit with jim again.
    Hope everyone's fat and happy.

15. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: button placement at Broadway City
    Sal, what Ice-9 said. The left side at Broadway City is Japanese style *rotated* 90 degrees clockwise. It forces you to rotate your hand clockwise even if you use index finger on G and will promote pain & suffering over extended use...

The right side at Goodtimes is ideal for thumb on G players and forces index finger on G players to rotate their hand counter-clockwise, but that's still a more natural position IMO. Along with the stools that are readily available at Goodtimes, it's perfect. Sticks are a little loose/bouncy as Rich said, but we'll adjust. The sticks are fine IMO.

16. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

No pics of me yet... I've made an effort of not being around when the cameras come out... ;) Although I've always regretted not having a camera at the original MoAT gatherings in Toronto and Montreal, and when Colin Leong came to visit us. Tho' I have a feeling that Jo Shun would rather not have his image available on the net either...

17. Mr. Bungle

The VFA Authority will get your pic, sooner or later. You can count on it! Shang should be thankful I didn't grab that baby pic of him he had on his old UMass page before I started collecting stuff for the VFA.

I know that someone actually did take a few pics at Moat 2.1. I think Colin took a couple of all the big VF2 names. I know they're floating around out there somewhere, just waiting to be scanned...

18. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Rich where is the archive available?

19. Mr. Bungle

Normally at ftp://vf.dyndns.org

However, it's down for the weekend, will be back up on Monday.

20. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I thought Creed's cat maintained the site when he was out of town... =)

Even though I'm not particularly interested in the VFA material, big thanks go out to Creed for making it easily available to everyone. It's a very valuable resource.