1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Brad Video and Critique thread

Discussion in 'Brad' started by R_Panda, Aug 9, 2012.

1. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Yes, using slipping P+K is great to punish an incoming high in strings.

By the way, it works against Special High too, I tend to punish Jacky's Side Slide Shuffle PP with it. Just need to not rush it, slip as soon as the second P starts and do P+K just after.

2. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Even better, he used Ducking [P][+][K][P]!

R_Panda likes this.
  3. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Better punishment, better oki, throw escape better. These are good general areas to sharpen up on, thank you. I should know what I need to do to improve these areas.

Regarding my TEs: I [P] almost every time I [G], but I have a poor tendency to be holding [6] for [6] throws and as a buffer for [6_][K] (which I then ironically don't use enough). I'm conscious of this and working on it. Really gets me in trouble with Jacky and Shun..

I actually surprised myself with that Ducking response lol. Tournaments push me farther.

4. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    I suppose I could explain the idea behind this if you want. It's basically a compromise from the unsafe but very rewarding abare of Ducking P+KP while still being abare and giving the opportunity for damage. If one was very low on health and couldn't give up 30 damage if blocked, or didn't need the massive reward from Ducking P+KP to win, attacking from the disadvantage of Ducking P+K could hit players hesitating after your Ducking P+K, but still willing to attack once they see you ending your string. Going for elbow is strong here, with some good damage and knockdown potential while of course being your fastest mid. I've seen Itoshun elbow after blocked Ducking P+K, among other moves. I might use 2P if I want to use my fastest attack to interrupt someone just barely hesitating. It might not be much, but it might be the only attack that would work without being too much of a hard counter, and it gives great frames on hit and counterhit.

So basically this tactic will work on opponents that do not always take immediate action. I haven't checked the videos to see if this was a valid tactic at the time, but this is the reasoning behind it in any case. This use of Ducking P+KP can be used with many similar strings (see Jacky for excessive examples [not that Brad doesn't have lots too]).

I think I should fuzzy more, and I haven't used Ducking P+K(2/8)P like, ever. That's pretty dumb.

5. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I haven't ever shown a video of myself, so here's one of me from some time ago:

I was doing something weird near the end of the first round where I was walking forward. I wonder if I was trying to enter a yutori throw escape. LOL. Sometimes I find myself walking forwards by accident, but I don't do that nearly as much as I used to do it. Feel free to tell me what you think.

R_Panda likes this.
  6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

You're talking about after you stood up and the G you have been holding down for guarding wasn't happening, right? In my experience, when getting up, it's very possible to press and hold G at a certain time and it doesn't register. Furthermore, if I yutori late, I end up getting 4P or 6P or P as well because I'm not in the guard state. If I yutori early though, then yeah, holding 6+P+G, I end up just walking forward.

It still bugs me once in awhile, and when nervous or under pressure I tend to do it more...

7. Libertine

LOL. I remember getting counter hit recently when I was just trying to get up holding guard and a throw escape. It's frustrating. :/

Chanchai likes this.
  8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

It really is. It's also frustrating when you do this and people give you a hard time to not abare while getting up or tell you to stop hitting buttons :p

Libertine and R_Panda like this.
  9. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Yay, this is no longer the Panda Video and Critique Thread. Nice video Lib! It looked like a good online match, and I liked what you did with your advantage, and continued use of du. K+G worked the whole time too. The evades-> launcher to beat cha-mame's throws must be something you have learned about him previously, but they worked great. Thanks for posting up.

JaLoHa21, Chanchai and Libertine like this.
  10. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Simply, What the hell!?

11. Libertine

Even before I played the video, I knew which one it would be from your description. I remember that. You probably already knew that moves that do the same amount of damage landing at the same time both cause damage. If not, now you do!

12. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

I knew that if two moves of equal damage hit on the same frame, they do the same damage. What I didnt know was how hype that match would be and why the two 9p+ks didnt also do the same

13. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

They did, both took a hit there. Apparently the game just does not allow more sudden deaths if you get a draw during sudden death.
    Funny this appeared here now since I was wondering just last week what would happen in such a situation. Now I know.