1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Brads reversal...

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Sharp7, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    other then for getting ppl on there getting up kicks im experimenting using it agaisnt leifei /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
    he has alot of hi/medium kicks that are somewhat predictable with his stances.. hmmm

2. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

That's in fact a good thing to try out sometime.

The reversal is also quite useful against Sarah for obvious reasons. You could possibly employ it against those kick happy Goh's as well.

Most of the time proper defense and punishment does more damage though. But still, its a good deterrent to mix in occasionally.

3. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    its also SUPER FUN and looks EXTREMELY badass rofl

oh ya i forgot about sarah opps rofl
    hmm wow i havent tried it on gohs but that makes alot of sense

also does it work on OM kicks and DM kicks?

4. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

Yes, they will work on OM K's and DMPK's that are mid-level kicks and also mid-crescent kicks (full circular).

5. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    sweeeet lol
    gonna be a bitch to learn to do it properly though

6. AkiraZero

Yeah just don't spam them against any character. Brad's reversals will have more success against certain people like Sarah. Her 4P+K sabaki can get caught with Brad's reversal for example.

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    If you're at advantage, reversal = showing off... "Hah HAH! I KNEW you were gonna do that and I stood here waiting just to show you that."

Step 1 to "proper" reversals is to be at disadvantage when inputting the command.

8. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Another proper way is when someone attempts to smack you on wakeup and you pwn them with a sabaki/reversal.

Good idea if your opponent likes to use OM p or a similar move when you tech roll.

9. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Yep. That's still step 1. When you are techrolling, you are at disadvantage. You are also at disadvantage when standing up normally.

10. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with Plague, in a minimal sense. I don't think using a reversal at advantage is showing off. IMO, the real use of reversal at advantage is the mind-games. If someone has a "go-to" move that you can reverse, and you do it at advantage, they might think twice before using that move. If they have to take their go-to out of their game, they will play slower because nothing is automatic anymore.

But I must stress that this tactic is risky. IF you can get it to work as described, the match is practically yours already. If they do something else though, you're going to be kicking yourself for giving up the advantage.

11. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

The only time I use reversals at disadvantage is when i'm pretty much 100& sure /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is coming, against some players with moves like Akiras blocked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or Kages blocked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, it's pretty much guaranteed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will follow. I shouldn't do that really though like White Worm said it's very risky, I only do it cause Akira's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif reversal is awesome.

12. AkiraZero

Also when attempting to reverse something Sharp, should input throw escapes unless of course if it's against a rising attack. Same goes with inashis and non-hitting sabaki's like Akira's 4PKG~6P.

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    If I'm at advantage and I know an attack is coming, I prefer CH KNEE + combo over reversal. That's the beauty of this game for me. Lots of options.

14. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Plague is right here.
    The basic question that you need to ask yourself is "Why am I going for lesser damage when I can go for the most damage?"

If you have advantage and you know for sure that your opponent is going to attack, then you should take your guaranteed damage.
    If he's going to DMP+K and he's at a distance where you can't throw him then do a full circular. If you think "well, I've got advantage but I know that he's going to do DMP+K so I'm just going to block" then you are giving him your nitaku so that now he can put you in a 50/50 situation. What if he doesn't DMP+K and decides to throw? Then you'll thrown with advantage for just standing there holding block.

It's all about playing styles too. I can be an abare player most times. I don't like to give up my advantage once I get it. Staying at positive frames is what most offense-driven characters (Brad/Lau) try to do so for me to give you my advantage, even if it's 1+ frame, just doesn't appeal to me.

At +1 if I know that my opponent is going to go for a low punch, I will 2P him first with Brad (or 9P him with Lau) even if I think that sidekick is coming, why? Well now I've got +7(CH) or +4 on regular hit instead of +1 to work with.

The only time that this can back fire is if my opponent has a 2P sabaki/reversal and/or a 2P killer and he uses it well.
    Then there's DMP+K, this is the move that offsets the nitaku game a little and that's where full circulars and throws (if you're close) come in.

It's all a mind game really, +1 isn't really that great but the way that I like to play, I hate giving up my advantage after working hard to get it.
    It's up to you to do a reversal at advantage but know that a decent opponent will catch on and when you do another midkick reversal at advantage, best believe that next time, same scenario, he's either going to throw you or hit you with a different move that will beat your counter.

15. Sharp7

Sharp7 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Sharp J7
    ya thats true tony i DOUBT it whud EVER work twice on the same player.
    i dunno i just think its extremely badass to use it. and it just confuses the crap outta the other player. makes them think ur some kind of godly brad that uses his 1 limited reversal lol

just a fun mind-game type of thing o_O

16. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I really don't want to be a nitpick, man, but Sarah's 4P+K isn't a sabaki. P+K is, and it starts the sabaki after the 13f which lends it self to be useful only on adv, which is where it would likely be used. It's slow enough though that Brad can reverse it if Sarah is predictable.

I'd assume that Brad can also alleviate himself of, or mix things up from ETEG, for RTE. Making him work like a pseudo Aoi in the matchup vs Sarah, in nitaku. Using the mid kick reversal and throw escapes, he can avoid Sarah's most rewarding mid strikes in nitaku. I'm just glad that, the mid kick reversal is not so rewarding of a choice damage wise, in the matchup, even though it could be a dominate one but he could also just be a sitting duck too.

In vanilla 5 most if not all, of Sarah's strings end with a kick, if you know the ones that end with mid kicks you can expose more holes. The ones that end with high kicks or special high kicks, would Brad's ducking and slips go under those? I don't know, but vs Brad this stuff tends to go through my mind alot, so when I'm using Sarah vs Brad, I box.

17. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Please bear in mind that Brad's reversal ALSO works on Sarah's frequently-used-after-a-certain-throw charge attack /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

18. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Fully charged.