1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Brad's Ukemizeme Guide

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Libertine, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Ukemizeme refers to attacking an opponent in relation to his recovery. You may either attack an opponent who doesn't recover or you can attack him as he does. The basic points of ukemizeme are:

i. Hitting opponents who don't recover results in the "green combos" displayed in Dojo Mode. These attacks may be used in order to condition opponents to start recovering

ii. Attacking opponents who recover should be, generally speaking, done in such a way as to force nitaku. At a certain point in a recovery's execution, an opponent can only use a crouching guard or a standing guard. Attacks that land during this period are colloquially referred to as "meaties." These attacks may be used to condition opponents to stop recovering

iii. Down attacks may option select to another attack if an opponent recovers, making attacking an opponent in ukemizeme easier. Brad's [3][K] will option select between his Gambit Light Down Attack and his Middle Kick side kick attack

iv. The opponent may recover in six different ways. In addition to in place recovery, side roll/back, and side roll/front recoveries, there are exact recovery versions for each. The difference between an exact recovery and a delayed recovery is 3 frames (verification needed). An in place recovery is much less safe than a side roll recovery because more options are available to an attacker

The problem with ukemizeme in Final Showdown is that meaties are often character-specific, stance-specific, combo/move-specific, and/or differ depending upon the type of recovery. Green combos are less troublesome, but they may also vary by character and stance. This guide is meant to give a detailed listing of Brad's meaties and green combos by character. I'll try to give meaties that don't require timing that's too strict or too condition-specific, and I'm hoping that others can post their findings as well! This post will be updated as more information is discovered.

Universal (?) Meaties

[3][P][K] -> Forward Dash -> Ducking [P][+][K] //Dash in far and enter Ducking at about the time the opponent starts to recover

[6][P][K] -> OM -> [4][K] //I don't like this one too much because you don't get any added frame advantage from the timing

[4][6][P][+][K] -> Forward Dash -> [9][P][+][K] //Dash in far and then attack

Jacky (?) and Aoi (?)

End any combo with [9][K] and then use Ducking [P][+][K]

[6][P][+][K] -> [3][P][P] -> [9][K] (Open Stance)

[2][K][+][G] //This will work if the recovery is to the back/front (exact) and Brad will be left at +/-0. It will work on in place (exact) recovery, but you'll be at -4.

[9][P][+][K] //This option is probably Brad's best because it will work against any type of recovery. The frames by recovery are: back/front (exact) -4; front/back (delayed) -2; in place (exact/delayed) -5

Ducking [K][+][G] -> [2][P] -> [P][6][P][K] (Open Stance)

[9][P][+][K] //This works against any type of recovery. The frames by recovery are: front/back (exact) -4 to -5; front/back (delayed) -2; in place (exact/delayed) -5

Ducking [K][+][G] -> [2][P] -> [P][6][P][K] (Closed Stance)

[9][P][+][K] //This works against any type of recovery. The frames by recovery are: front/back/in place (exact) -5; front/back (delayed) -3; in place (delayed) -5

Ducking [K][+][G] -> [2][P] -> [2][P][+][K][P][6][P] (Open Stance)

Short Forward Dash -> Ducking [P][+][K] //It doesn't matter which type of recovery the opponent uses for this meaty!

I'll add more later, but let me know what you guys think of the format so far.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I'm thinking on changing the format, but first I want to provide a list of the meaty attacks and green combos I'm using.

Meaties

[3][K] - Try this after a forward dash or an evade -> forward dash. It may have to be timing properly so it doesn't option select to a Light Down Attack. I haven't been using this often.

[4][K] - This can usually be done following a forward dash, especially from a spinning knockdown attack. If the opponent guards the last active frame, then Ducking [P][+][K] cannot be interrupted by most of the cast.

[9][P][+][K] - This can usually be done after [9][K] in combos, sometimes when used immediately following.

[2][K][+][G] - I haven't been using this often, but it's nice to have the threat of a low attack which, timing correctly, leaves Brad at +/-0.

Ducking [P][+][K] - This is one of Brad's best meaties, and can often be done after a spinning knockdown attack in combos. It can be done reliably after [3][P][K] and often after counter hit [2][K][+][G] as well. It's a very reliable meaty against Jacky, and I've found that it works when I end combos with [9][K]. Against other characters, such as Kage, it might work if you end a combo with [3][P][K] instead.

Ducking [K] - This can be useful after a knockdown from [6][P][K] as well as meaty from some combos.

Slipping [K] - While its use appears to be limited, it's a nice meaty to try after [3][P][K]. If the opponent recovers in place, then the opponent must guard it at his side making it -1 for Brad.

Slipping [K][+][G]. I haven't found that many places where this move can be used as a meaty. It will work on every character after [4][P][+][G], which may condition opponents to stop recovering, which is good. It will work sometimes after [3][P][K], but Slipping must be entered in the right direction. I've found that I get +15 on Lion from exact recovery, though I forget which direction, if he isn't guarding as he recovers. He's also side turned. It's hard for me to time [6][P][+][K] afterwards, even though it should be guaranteed. It registers as a combo in Dojo Mode. After Sway Back [P][P][K] (guard or hit) [K] and its Slipping equivalent it should be possible to use Slipping [K][+][G] as a meaty as well.

Miscellaneous Meaties

[4][P][K] - I haven't been able to time this reliably except maybe after [4][6][P][+][G]. It's only useful as a meaty if the third active frame is guarded, since Slipping [P][+][K] will beat a 12 frame jab and Slipping [K] will beat a 15 frame attack, for what it's worth.

[3][P][+][K] - I've only found one situation in which this works as a meaty, which is after the following combo: Counter Hit [6_][K] -> [9][P][+][K] -> [4][4][P] -> (back turned) [2][P] -> [3][P][+][K][P]

[1][P][+][K] - This move might be useful because of its safety and frames on hit. I think it's reliability is stance specific, though.

Green Combos

The safest way to make a green combo after a knockdown is with [2][K], which can be done after almost any knockdown. From the Closed Foot Position after counter hit [2][K][+][G], a quick forward dash followed by [2][P] should float the opponent. The Closed Foot Position is also required to float the opponent after Brad's spinning knockdown attacks, at least most of the time. Using [2][P] after [4][6][P][+][G] should also work. Keep in mind that Brad is in the Open Foot Position every time this throw is used.

Against Taka, use [K][P][K] if he doesn't recover. I believe the only exception is after a knockdown with [3][P][+][K][P]. Use [3][P][+][K][P] instead after that move.

3. Libertine

More green combos:

On Wolf, Counter Hit [6_][K] -> [9][P][+][K] -> Evade towards Brad's back -> [4][4][P] -> (back turned) [2][P] -> [6_][P] -> [9][K] is easy to do and if he doesn't recover you can use [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P]. It's easy to hit check at every move. I don't think that you need to dash either. Edit: It's confirmed that you don't need to dash. I've tried this on Jeffry, and it doesn't work as well. You might have to dash for the [2][P] on him, and it's best to try [2][K] if it hits.

I'm pretty sure that any combo ending with [3][P][K] lets Brad use [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P]. I'm not saying that it's a combo if the [2][P] hits, but what comes afterwards should be safe because you can hit check.

I'd try [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P] on Wolf whenever possible. You can do it after Counter Hit [1][P] -> [K][P][K] too, though you need to dash when you're in the Open Foot Position before using the [2][P].

It's easy to hit check green combos on Taka too. When using [K][P][K] when he doesn't recover, I think the order of moves I use next are [3][P][+][K][P] then [2][K]. When I use [3][P][+][K][P] in a green combo, I think I use [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P]. I can't remember if [2][K] will hit after that.

Correction: When you use [K][P][K] when he doesn't recover, use [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P]. This is all safe because you can hit check everything. You don't have to dash for [2][P] from the Closed Foot Position, but you do from the Open Foot Position. You could dash every time just to be safe. The [K][P][K] green combos to which I'm referring are from spinning knockdowns.

My new favorite combo after Counter Hit [6_][K] on Taka is now [9][P][+][K] -> Evade towards Brad's back -> [4][4][P] -> (back turned) [2][P] -> [3][P][K]. This combo lets me hit check [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P] afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    SoulTruth2013, Riskbreak and DK like this.
  4. Libertine

Some new green combos:

[6][P][+][K] -> [3][P][P] -> [2][P][+][K][6][P] is a combo that will work from the Open Foot Position on some characters, and you should be able to use a forward dash and hit the opponent with [2][P] if he doesn't recover. It's harder on some characters than others, but it's a safe option.

After a knockdown with [3][P][+][K][P], usually you should try [2][K]. However, on Jacky you can use a forward dash and float him with [2][P] -> [9][K] if he doesn't recover. The [9][K] is guaranteed if the [2][P] hits, and this combo will work from either foot position.

A correction on a green combo with Taka: When you use [K][P][K] when he doesn't recover, use [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P]. This is all safe because you can hit check everything. You don't have to dash for [2][P] from the Closed Foot Position, but you do from the Open Foot Position. You could dash every time just to be safe. The [K][P][K] green combos to which I'm referring are from spinning knockdowns.

After the back throw from Brad's catch throw, you can use [2][K] if the opponent doesn't recover after the guaranteed [3][P][+][K][P]. On Taka, you can use another [3][P][+][K][P] then [2][P] then [3][P][+][K][P] again.

DK, SoulTruth2013 and Riskbreak like this.
  5. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Alright, i was going through some videos and stumbled upon this... @ 1:16 Start watching at this point slipping K is not what im talking about. @Libertine

Not sure if you've seen this before... also im wondering if its just specific to the slipping version of that knee. Maybe it works off of backsway knee, testing is required. Feel free to delete my post once you extract the info. :ninja: As always, godookie is watching

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  6. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I'm not sure what you are asking? The opponent eats a combo, techs and gets hit by slip K CH cause he's hitting buttons. What's so special here? Am I missing something?

7. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Yeah, im sorry... I meant start watching @1:16 not what happens at 1:16. I was talking about ending the combo with 9k and then slipping k+g landing sideturn. I was wondering if this is dependent on the side you do slipping to or if it happens depending on timing after that combo ender.

8. Libertine

I'm not sure how to explain that. It could be a setup from that specific combo and/or the Kage player delayed his recovery.

I found a cool setup with it against Jacky, though:

[6_][K] -> [9][P][+][K] -> DM towards Brad's back -> [4][4][P] -> (back turned) [2][P] -> [4][P][K][2]/[8] (Slipping) [K][+][G]

Enter Slipping immediately and delay the kick until Jacky hits the ground. If you enter Slipping in the direction opposite of which Jacky rolls, you'll get a side hit and +14-15 on NH. [6][P][+][K] is guaranteed afterwards. I think I tested this on exact recovery. If Jacky recovers in place, then I've gotten Ducking [K][+][G] to hit back turned in a match.

9. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    I was messing with this to try to determine how often this throw is worth going for over [6][6][P][+][G]. [6][6][P][+][G] is 50 dmg with added guaranteed down attack which is 63 dmg.

[4][6][P][+][G] does base 30 dmg + 15 dmg for no tech.

If the opponent chooses to tech, Brad has access to a majority of his movelist to use for oki. NH safe meaty launchers + guardbreak/catchthrow mixup is hard to deal with and definitely can dent a lifebar.

Against everyone, Brad can safely OTG opponents after [4][6][P][+][G] without being punished with [2][P]. Brad has to input a dash for optimal height gain off of the [2][P] pickup This timing can be character specific.

[4][6][P][+][G] > [2][P] > [4][6][K][+][G] does 72 dmg and works on everyone but Taka. This one works best for heavies and light heavies.

[4][6][P][+][G] > [2][P] > [3][P][+][K][P] does 77 dmg and works on middleweights+lightweights. If [3][P][+][K][P] wall hits, Brad can [4][6][K][+][G] for 89 dmg.

[4][6][P][+][G] > [2][P] > [2_][3][P] > [9][K][+][G] does 87 and works on lights.
    If the [2_][3][P] causes wall hit, Brad can do [9][P][+][K] > [4][4][P] > BT [2][P] > [4][6][K][+][G] for 116 dmg.

[4][6][P][+][G] > [2][P] > [2_][3][P] > [P][P][K] does 89 but I've only did it to Eileen.

Against Taka, Brad can safely confirm [3][P][+][K][P] for 71 dmg.

I think the damage Brad gets from 2p pickup on middleweights and lights makes the throw worth using. Against the heavies it's a more situational choice imo, but I'd rather not use it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Myke and Libertine like this.
  10. Libertine

Fighting Aoi as Brad can be tough, including after you've knocked her down. If you don't know what you're doing, she can thwart your okizeme by launching you fairly easily. Luckily, Brad can force a strong guessing game between recovering and not recovering on her. If you have trouble remembering ukemizemi on characters, try to remember what to do against Aoi above all other characters. I'm going to keep updating this post as I discover more meaties and green combos.

[6][P][K]

In Place (Exact)

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

Side Roll Back/Front (Exact)

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

In Place (Delay)

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

Side Roll Back/Front (Delay)

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

No Recovery

[1][K]

This is somewhat risky.

[3][P][+][K][P]

In Place (Exact)

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

In Place (Delay)

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

No Recovery

[1][K]

(Slipping) [P][P][K] (hit or guard) [K] or (Sway Back) [P][P][K] (hit or guard) [K]

In Place (Exact)

[6][6] -> [3][K]/[4][K]

[2] or [8][6][6] -> [3][K]/[4][K]

The former will option select to a down attack with no recovery, and Aoi can't reverse it.

(Slipping) [K][+][G]

This must be entered towards the opposite direction in which the opponent recovers. It will give Brad +8 if it hits.

[2] or [8][6][6] -> [2][K][+][G]

This should hit on a later active frame, normally making it 2 frames safer.

In Place (Delay)

[6][6] -> [3][K]/[4][K]

(Slipping) [K][+][G]

This must be entered towards the opposite direction in which the opponent recovers. It will give Brad +8 if it hits.

Spinning Knockdowns

In Place (Exact)

(Ducking) [K]

[SIDE] This gives Brad +2 on guard and +11 on hit.

(Ducking) [P][+][K]

[BACK] This will whiff against delayed in place recovery.

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [P][+][K]

[SIDE] This will result in a side turned meaty that is -2 on guard.

(Ducking) [K][+][G]

[BACK]

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K][+][G]

[SIDE] This meaty is only -4 on guard!

The meaties for In Place (Exact) recovery should also work here, but take special note of the following:

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

This meaty is easy to time, except from [3][P][K], and should probably be used most often.

[6][6] -> (Slipping) [K][+][G]

([SIDE]) It can be difficult to time this meaty properly from [3][P][K]. Enter Slipping as soon as you notice Brad start to dash forward. Otherwise, you need to dash in further in order to time in correctly. The direction in which to enter Slipping will be towards the opposite direction towards which your opponent recovers. Brad will either catch Aoi's front or her side. If it hits as a side turned meaty from Counter Hit [6][6][K] or Counter Hit [K][+][G], [6][P][+][K] is guaranteed. From [3][P][K], Aoi will be too far away from Brad for this move to hit her.

{!} Note: If you incorrectly guess the direction of Aoi's recovery, then (Slipping) [K][+][G] will whiff!

In Place (Delay)

(Ducking) [K]

[BACK] This can be done from [3][P][K] and Counter Hit [K][+][G]. I think that [6_][P][K] is guaranteed in this situation.

(Ducking) [P][+][K]

[BACK] This can be done from [3][P][K] and Counter Hit [K][+][G].

(Ducking) [K][+][G]

[BACK] This can be done from [3][P][K] and Counter Hit [K][+][G].

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K]

[SIDE] This results in a side turned meaty that is +2 on guard, +11 on hit. This is only necessary for Counter Hit [6][6][K].

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [P][+][K]

[SIDE] This will result in a side turned meaty that is -2 on guard. This is only necessary for Counter Hit [6][6][K].

[6][6] -> (Ducking) [K][+][G]

[SIDE] This meaty is only -4 on guard! This is only necessary for Counter Hit [6][6][K].

[2] or [8][6][6] -> [3][K]/[4][K]

[6][6] -> (Slipping) [K][+][G]

([SIDE]) It can be difficult to time this meaty properly from [3][P][K]. Enter Slipping as soon as you notice Brad start to dash forward. Otherwise, you need to dash in further in order to time in correctly. The direction in which to enter Slipping will be towards the opposite direction towards which your opponent recovers. Brad will either catch Aoi's front or her side. If it hits as a side turned meaty from Counter Hit [6][6][K] or Counter Hit [K][+][G], [6][P][+][K] is guaranteed. From [3][P][K], Aoi will be too far away from Brad for this move to hit her.

{!} Note: If you incorrectly guess the direction of Aoi's recovery, then (Slipping) [K][+][G] will whiff!

No Recovery

From [3][P][K] from Closed Stance:

[6][6] -> [2][P] -> [2_][3][P] -> [9][K] = 79

If [3][P][K] hits Aoi at close range, you can end the above combo with [3][P][+][K][P] instead for 83 points of damage.

From Counter Hit [6][6][K] and Counter Hit [K][+][G]:

[6][6] -> [2][P] -> [4][4][P] -> (back turned) -> [2][P] -> [6_][P] -> [3][P][+][K][P]

This combo does 90 points of damage from Counter Hit [K][+][G] and 101 points of damage from Counter Hit [6][6][K].

It's harder to get damage if Brad hits Aoi with his spinning knockdown attacks from Open Stance, and he might only get [1][K]. Therefore, try to keep the foot position closed against her.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    ChiefGutti likes this.