1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Bradygames VF5 Official Guide

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by DrDeelite, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

We all put in a lot of effort (Dr. D and Kamui moreso than me) into this guide, please check it out if you want to get into VF5. Your support really means very much for the people who are involved and the scene in general.

2. MarkMan

MarkMan Well-Known Member

Dr. D/Kamui keep up the good work... I've done some contribution work for Bradygames before and I know how stressful just that small part I did was, I can only imagine how you and Joey had to hold things down... I'm looking forward to this guide!

Good job on your other guides as well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<3 Srider too.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

"This product is available for sale in North America only."

Sigh, amazon.com. Guess I'll have to get it somewhere else, seems like a good product - Srider said so, and I follow his wisdom.

4. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Thanks Dr. D, for your awesome effort /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

5. Wolf_King

Wolf_King Member

OK!!! GreatD got the black book and I definetly will buy this guide!!!
    Hope it´s noob-friendly...

6. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    I don't know anything about Japanese copyright law, but that frame data is almost certainly not copyrightable under U.S. law, despite Enterbrain putting work into it - see Feist, which set aside the notion that "sweat of the brow" leads to copyrightability. Moot point now, I guess.

Thanks for your work on the guide, I'll check it out.

7. DrDeelite

DrDeelite Member

Re: Bradygames VF5 Official Guide *DELETED*

Post deleted by DrDeelite

8. INCIDENT

INCIDENT Well-Known Member

This is great stuff, there.

I'm definitely goinng to pick up the guide. I also really like the fact that the guide is made for beginners in mind, so new people can learn.

*thumbs up*

9. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

oh damn, oh well someone post up if they manage to find it available for shipping to anywhere else worldwide.

10. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

dvdboxoffice.com has a link to the guide on their VF5 page, but the link doesn't lead anywhere for now. But I guess everyone in Europe will be able to order it from there.

11. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Ditto.

12. Dazzyman

Dazzyman Member

Hi new here so like to thankyou firstly for a great site.

I posted this in the console thread but noone replied back to it (Im due to get VF5 next couple of days so bit desperate)...

Im going to get the Brady guide on import when its released (Im in UK) but is it a good idea to get the black book as well? Is it understandable with move lists or are they done in japanese in boxes with descriptions what a non japanese reader wouldnt make sense of? Just that I dont know whether its a good idea to import it so thought Id ask you guys first.

I need something I can have sat next to me on VF5 for move commands as I find it difficult remembering stuff (I used to play the series but had a coma 3yrs ago so my memory is shot now), I can use here I guess from now on and at the very least print the move commands out but if the Black book is straightforward with command lists thats why I was thinking of that as well (and what is the difference between the black book and the white books are they the next volume?). Just that Ive got to relearn my commands for Jacky what Ive forgotten (either that or I might just start on a new character Lei Fei) is looking mighty tempting) so the easiest command list I can use the better (and training room for ages I think!).

Thanks for any help you can give and thanks again for the website, think its going to be my VF home for quite some time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

If a movelist with frames is your only intention of getting the Black Book, my advice would not to get it and to wait until this site finishes putting up its own movelists. The VFDC movelists will have frames.

The Black Book does not have pictures of individual moves -- it's broad sections are system, movelist, character advice, and character combos. Unless you can read Japanese you won't get that much out of it other than the frames.

However, the Black Book does have an excellent DVD that is IMO worth the price of admission.

14. Dazzyman

Dazzyman Member

15. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

If I was in North America I'd buy the Brady guide since I know that they've been very good with fighting game guides in the past (well, more or less). I may pick it up when I'm back in Canada in May though. Good job on the guide though, I heard from some other people that it's put together very well.

16. DrDeelite

DrDeelite Member

17. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Actually, that's what I was trying to point out: generating _data_ != ownership of copyright. Facts aren't copyrightable, expression is. There isn't much (if any) creative expression in the arrangement of frame tables. Like you said, not worth the risk to Brady, but I don't think people should be scared to copy the factual frame data.

Probably not, unless you came to some of the VF meets I organized at the texas union a couple years back, or played SCII at einsteins. I'll keep an eye out for kamui in austin tho.

18. Dazzyman

Dazzyman Member

Thanks!

Im going to order the black book for the dvd then and the list as it will give me something to do whilst waiting for the fixed HG sticks to come out (Im not going to play VF5 till I get one). I have a JPN PS3 and multiregional dvd player and import 99% of my films from USA and JPN anyway so dont worry about region code for me :eek:Þ

19. DrDeelite

DrDeelite Member

20. SenseiSD

SenseiSD Active Member

Alskar Sverige! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Our "viking" puts our nose on the right trace:
    BradyGames VF5 Guide at dvdboxoffice.com

¡Grácias Dr.D por realizar esta guia!
    Teniendo en cuenta tu "Tejas" supongo, q eres latino( dito mexicano /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif y quisieras reconquistar Texas, ¿verdad?