1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Bragging rights...heh...

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Nov 27, 1999.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a recovering Tekkaholic trying to get into VF, and to cut a long story
    short, I bought the dedicated arcade cabinet VF2 for just under 400 us bucks.

Now if I could get a good deal a model 3 and VF3..hmm...

Also, a side note, or really question. I have VF3 for DC and it seems that the moves where you quickly get to an opponent's backside to launch combos seem to be a fairly large aspect of the game. How much of an aspect is it in VF2? I've only seen Akira's 'get-behind' move (I'm still not knowledgable about terms yet). Do other characters have them too? Also, how important are juggles in cut throat matches anyway? Does the play go more towards technique than combos? Just a couple of questions to know what to practice...VF seems to be a quite a bit more deep than Tekken...now if it only had Tekken's world tournament style contest backed up by Sega and the attitude (and kick ass industrial soundtrack) of Tekken...heh..oh well...I'll gladly sacrifice appearance for substance.

Later.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

::I have VF3 for DC and it seems that the moves where you quickly get to an opponent's backside to launch combos seem to be a fairly large aspect of the game.::
    I don't think so. It is somewhat important for some characters. It is a key strategy for some Shun players to use his "get-behind" move, but I don't think it would be part of the strategy of a Lau or Taka player for instance. Also, there are some characters that can do devastating things when an enemy is behind them. However, it's probably not too much of an exaggeration to say that a good deal of strategy involves dodging to an opponent's side.
    ::How much of an aspect is it in VF2?::
    Do you really mean VF2? If you do, then getting behind someone was a key Akira strategy in VF2, but that has become far less important in VF3. Some Shun and Lion players used their special VF2 dodges to get behind opponents. Also, escaping some throws (such as Wolf's P+G) enabled someone to get behind another character. But in general, it was not a main thrust of VF2 gameplay for non-Akira players, again except for some advanced Shun/Lion tactics.

::I've only seen Akira's 'get-behind' move (I'm still not knowledgable about terms yet). Do other characters have them too?::
    Yes, most (but not all) characters do.

:: Also, how important are juggles in cut throat matches anyway?::
    Depends on the character and the style of the player. To give an example: Generally speaking, juggles do not occur as often for Sarah as they do for Lau or Kage. But it is reasonable to say that in many expert level matches, the single turning point is which player gets the first (and probably last) juggle in.

::Does the play go more towards technique than combos?::
    I'm not sure I fully comprehend this question. To me, combos are a part of technique. If you mean do brains count more than reflexes, again it depends on the players/styles, etc. This is part of what makes VF3tb so great -- there is no one right way and there exceptions to most if not all rules in VF3tb. Nevertheless, at the best levels of VF3 play, "yomi" (the ability to predict what your opponent is going to do), is generally considered the most critical factor to winning a match, especially among closely matched (in terms of skill levels) players.

Hope this helps, Imashroom