1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Braking Harmful Habbits

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Genzen, May 20, 2006.

1. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Ok, After a long brake from VF, I've started playing again.
    As I am looking at the game from from a refreshed angle, I have noticed a big flaw in my gameplay; I keep using the same flow charts.
    I use Jacky, and I have recently noticed that, everytime I use a few certain moves, I will always follow up with the same move afterwards.
    Usually, this is moves that are leaving me at a heavy disadvantage, like [6]+[P] or [3]+[P]+[K], and my usual follow up is to [2]+[P].
    I know what other choices are available, and I understand that [2]+[P] can be effective, but not when I use it everytime..

The advice I am looking for, is some training techniques to help me stop doing this, now that I have identified the problem. I thought it would be simple, and that I could conciously just not do it, but, as I'm sure you're aware, when you are in the middle of a bout, you use instinct and reaction, so it's hard to break out of this nasty habbit, as using this same follow up everytime has become habbit for me.

All advice is welcome; thanks all.

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I have similar problems. Example: I perform Akira's [3][P]+[K] and then [6][6][K][K] no matter if the punch hit for MC, normal hit, or was blocked. I fixed this by hit-checking the punch while tapping [6][6] in anticipation of an MC. If I get blocked or only get normal hit, I take time to think instead of blindly doing the [K][K].

For me, hit-checking forces me to think first rather than just react with whatever I normally do next. It seems to slow the game down and I have time to realize and perform what I want to do next.

3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

So it's really just a case of slowing down and forcing yourself to notice what has happened...

Ok, thanks man.

4. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

is akira's 3P+K really that hard to confirm?

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    No idiot, that isn't the point.

People get sloppy for various reasons (lack of thought-provoking competition, taking a long break etc) and develop habits that if you don't correct quickly can be hard to shake off.

I know what Plague means with his example because after having only quest mode to practice against for a while I've found myself just going into autopilot a lot and doing combo enders even when they guard my combo starter.

Anyone having the same/similar problems should just try and turn their brain back on during matches. Question why you're doing certain things etc, try and remember the reasons behind your actions. I find that helps me a little.

I like how you jumped at the chance for a not-so-subtle comment trying to make yourself look like a VF legend though.

Thumbs up!

6. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

I like how other people being sloppy makes me an idiot. I'm seriously thinking about how long time you have to confirm 3P+K and I don't really see how anyone can be that lazy.

And yes, I do have a similar problem problem with Ev2 in regards to Jacky's 4PK, where I will find myself always going for a delayed kick even when the P is blocked since technically a delayed kick is still a viable option.

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Wanna hear something funny? I for the life of me couldn't counter Jeffry's 2k+g with 6pk during the Socal gathering. I know it's garuanteed, but why couldn't I nail it? I usually never have problems reacting to attacks, why was that time different? Oh I get it -

- When was the last time I've played a Jeffry?

- Man it's been a while...

An achilles heel develops... get it? We're talking about the one or few things that make you go "uUguUGgh wtf was thinking? I knew that..."

It's something particular to every person who hasn't picked up the joystick in a while... Shang has trouble hit checking - Maddy can be too fast for his own good - Adam can't defend strings too well - Phoenixdth needs to find the guard button... ( /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Understand the topic. Add your own vice. What can be a relatively simple thing for you may be incredibly frustrating for another person to break.

Edit: You've added your "wtf" moment. Good. Please understand my other points.

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ev2 said:

So it's really just a case of slowing down and forcing yourself to notice what has happened...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. The interesting phenomenon for me is that when I'm thinking and watching the other player, the game seems to slow and I find time to perform the follow-ups (like Akira's palm-elbow follow to an SDE crumple).

9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

10. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Haha. I've got more harmful habits than the lot of you. Some are easy to break, some are tough. Dodging [8]. Phoenix told me I was doing this all the time against his Goh at evo2k3 (yes, that's 2003). Blondie told me I was doing this in January 2006. I knew this was a bad habit both times. Let's say I averaged 100 matches per week in those 2.5 years (conservative). That's 13000 matches evading [8]...Knowing before the first match that it wasn't wise.

11. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    yes, dodging in only one direction against Goh can be really bad! One thing that I've noticed is that it's a lot easier to fix your mistakes when playing other people and then (usually after losing) looking at your style and see what you did, and also what they did to beat you. That's how I've broken a lot of my nasty habits... but since I've been playing Quest Mode a lot lately, I bet that I've developed a whole new list of bad habits /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

12. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Re: Breaking Harmful Habbits

Sanjuro - wow i cant believe you remember that /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jerky - its really really really difficult to guard when your G buttons takes 30-50 frames or so to execute (depending on what stance im in) being on the offensive is leifeis best option. Sadly, topic noted, that translates into the rest of my characters.

Vanity - /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif again and again /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

13. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

If you're lucky, like I am, and you have a buddy you fight with, tell him what your bad habit is. Keep reminding him. This will do 2 things, first you'll notice even more how much you do it, secondly, you'll get tired of getting smacked for it...

14. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

PhoenixDth,
    I think your harmful habbit is that you limit your game to 3 of 4 (at most?) yomi games. Then you play around with these few games over and over again. When you are able to go to the offense and while the other guy is playing your game, you do great. But many better player will be able to break out of your circle and put you on the defense. This is where you fall apart (and where you stop using leifei and pick some 2nd tier character and fuck around.. like andy).With your style using leifei is the best choice, because no one in the states knows how play vs. Leifei well, and you can just beat them a few times and piss them off. Many people when they first play you will lose to you, but they won't admit you are better because of that.
    If you want to get to the next level, you should learn not just to mash away all the time, continue to use your main even when you are losing, because a lot of times when you play it's like a semi controled mashing session.

15. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Semi controlled mash session is the response im looking for when i play leifei /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Again like maddy said, itll make the other player feel like they want to quit the game as long as I can make the other player think that way. Anyhow, ill try to expand my offensive yomi games like you said, I got a year untill VF5. Likewise same to you /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wolf-> [2][P] hit check -> [2][P] again on block ->or on hit [6][K] aggresive counter, ->or throw as defensive counter -> or [1][P] safe counter = counter hit throw.

Boston peeps watch for this /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif