1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Button-mashers

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Calvin, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

They really get on my nerves. Any help?

2. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    If we are talking about [P][P][P] mashers then there are a few things you can do:
    a)Use low attacks or attacks that will duck under the high attacks.
    b)Use a quick [P] or [2][P] for a MC and throw your oppenent.
    c)Use reversals, parries or sabakis depending on what character you use.
    d)Use evade attacks depending on what string your opponent is using. Some [P][P][P] style strings will still hit you depending on timing etc.
    e)Dash back and launch long range attacks and higher risk attacks. With any luck they will be too busy hitting [P] to block.
    f)And of course there is the option to be just as aggresive as your opponent. It won't always work but if you get in some good combos then your opponent might start to think twice about wildy mashing the pad.

3. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

reversals work great. but i use lion and my opponent doesn't just use [P][P][P] strings. he does low attacks and some mids too.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Block something that leaves you on advantage, and then do a big attack. Like [4][4][K], [P]+[K], or [2_][6][P] if you have the reflexes. You should win if you can do this, or at least force the opponent to stop mashing.

5. Two_Bit_Mage

Two_Bit_Mage Well-Known Member

button mashers eh? I dont usually have trouble with em...Well if he uses high attacks you can try backing off and using [4][4][K] for some counter damage in a combo, if he uses more high and mid than low attacks then meteor punch is always a nice option. low pokes (the [P]+[K] ones work well) should interrupt his attacks, after one of them you can try a [2][6_][P] for a float (usually works if he tries a [P][P][P] or something)

6. tzgorr1

tzgorr1 Well-Known Member

They're not much of a problem, except when my friend mashes with Dural. Then I get my ass beat - she's just so fast and strong. And alot of the juggles dont work on her either. I usually have to resort to just turtling and doing long range, high risk attacks like [6][6][K] with Jacky or [9][K][K] with Pai.

7. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

IMO, VF mashers tend to just keep mashing continously w/o blocking, well, at least that's the way I see it. so throws after a d+P won't work so well(if they continously mash... if they don't and stop, then it'll work well), although you can probably throw them after any throw-counterable move. so the easiest way to beat them is to connect your P or d+P for an easy interrupt against their moves, then immediately go for a combo starter... you'll have the advantage, and since they'll be too busy mashing to try to block, they'll get floated for some free points. once they learn to start blocking, you can go back to throwing after an interrupt from the P or d+P.

8. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

no, this guy guards. it's just i can't tell when he's going to attack. ok, here's an example w/ a round w/ him: starts off blocking and i'm afraid to let go of guard for fear of an attack from him. he then randomly chooses a time to attack and just mashes the directional buttons down with the other ones(including shoulder buttons but not that much). he usually does [P][P][P] into [K][K]( uses jacky and lei) or just [P][P][P]. no, he does not know what he's doing. he's just mashing down buttons. it just comes out that way half the time. sometimes it comes out as [3][P][P][P], [2][K][K]. i can't throw because he doesn't do long enough recovery attacks. AND HE GUARDS AFTER HE ATTACKS!!! DAMN HIM!!! see, he's smart. he's like the ultimate button-masher! /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Have you tried low punching everything he does? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Kick the person in the groin, or the neck.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Abuse throw-counterable attacks.

12. Dougydug

Dougydug Well-Known Member

...or continually play as Jeffry....eh he he he.....ha ha... wa ha ha ha.......wha har har ha ha ha........

13. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Something to keep in mind is that inexperienced players rarely tech-roll. Take advantage of this and pounce more often than you would. Otherwise, start getting multiple ground hits as well...

cheers,

14. gamesmaster1_2be

gamesmaster1_2be Well-Known Member

if you play a button masher, simply, (if you are a jeff or wolf player,anyway)
    B+p, pickup,B+p, pickup,B+p, pickup,B+p, pickup,B+p, pickup,
    you get the point...
    it's hilarious.

15. Valiance

Valiance Well-Known Member

You're lucky to play a button masher that actually tries to block. That way you can find more opportunities for throws. For me, if I play a button masher, generally my number one goal is to force them to block. The main way is by alternating between guard and jab, which makes them whine and complain that it's not fair how his attacks get blocked. Depending on which character they choose, there may not be too many guaranteed throw opportunities from button mashing. I haven't had too much experience with button mashers, but in a few weeks I will be playing a Lau button masher - I only hope I can trash him up good and force him to learn to play the game. I mean, this guy openly admits to never ever blocking, and refuses to learn how to play the game. Yet he maintains a very cocky attitude. People like that need to be taught a lesson /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

16. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    People like that need to be taught a lesson

[/ QUOTE ]

you got that right. /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif

17. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

also, a LOT of low attacks...

18. Mr_Mad

Mr_Mad Member

[P]+[K]+[G] during evade is good against inexperienced players. And usually it knocks opponent down when you can freely use down attacks, but only if he/she doesn't know how to get up quickly.

19. cbs

cbs Member

I know how you feel my brother did that too. You can start off by doing [2][P] and any low sweeps , after all hes just smashing the buttons, abuse the low atacks until he blocks low then use mid atacks or low throw him when he gets the ideaand starts to block low. If he starts up again dodge and use your best combos. Hey if that doesnt work counter him a couple times till he starts to think again. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. ButtonMasher

ButtonMasher Active Member

its just my user name, people will tell you that i am not really a buttonmasher.
    people...?