1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

C.A. Robinson gathering in LA

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by gribbly, Oct 12, 2001.

1. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

Well I went to C.A. Robinson and Co today (if you didn't see the thread in general, spotlite gave us a heads up that there was a trade show featuring VF4 in LA today) not knowing what to expect. A trade show that allowed random people to wander in off the street and play VF4 for free sounded just a little to good to be true, but....

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!

I'm pretty amped, because I got to see and play VF4 for the first time today. I also got to meet three people from vfdc, all of whom were really nice. Of course I've already forgotten everybodies name -- maybe they could reply and remind me! I remember Myke was one... unfortunately I missed spotlite -- but if you read this... Dude I owe you a vote of thanks :)

Impressions on the game? Well first off I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure if it was the test version or the full version. I couldn't remember a quick test (I'm sure there is one) and I was too intent on simply touching the thing. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick I'd say it was final.

Impressions? Well I played probably ten games. First up with Pai (she was my first character in VF1, and I have a sort of tradition that I play Pai in every new VF game). Felt pretty familiar... the movement is definitely different to three, I felt I couldn't f,f and b,b as snappily. Like most people I had initial trouble with the sidesteps, and got rung out a couple of times by an aggressive Akira.

I'm a "dash in and throw" kinda guy, and I had really mixed results. I'm sure it's a result of being way more familiar with VF3 timing, but on several occasions I thought I'd have ample time to throw, but got spanked on the way in (shades of Soul Calibur there...). Then again, a couple of other times my throw caught when I was sure I'd whiffed it. I'll get used to it I guess.

Got some reasonably nasty floats -- a satisfying uf+K, P,P,P,d+K against the wall. Nothing fancy, I guess, but I'll take it :) Got some high and mid reversals (some "let me try this" setups, some in battle conditions).

Man I shoulda posted this the minute I got back to work (after a three hour lunch break!), as my memory is already a little fuzzy. I played with Pai, then Lei Fei, then Jeffry (a VF3 fave), then Akira, then Aoi.

I got some really scrubby wins with Lei Fei. I won three in a row by confusion alone. I was just as confused as the everyone :)

Still, he looked cool and was fun. The only reason I won was that Lei Fei is very unfamiliar -- I don't think any of us had played before today. His moves are difficult to anticipate, too, but I'm sure once everyone has found their feet these types of things will go away.

Got repeatedly owned by a vfdc members Akira... can't remember your name sorry dude, but we had a long talk about playing at UCLA in the future. That's gonna happen for sure! I believe spotlite plays there too, so we should be able to get a nice little crowd.

Apparently they're gonna have it in about two weeks time -- not sure how I'll wait... I've tasted it now and I've got the itch
    pretty bad.

Anyway... I don't have many details to add to the many excellent "I just played it and..." posts we've had over the last couple of months. We came, we saw, we had fun!

Oh, and there were definitely several arcade owners in the house, and they can't have failed to notice that the VF4 machine was the most consistently crowded. Hopefully we did a little bit to convince them that the game is worth supporting.

grib.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Gribbly,

sorry I missed you today. I had to leave at noon sharp.

I did get to play for a solid hour and a half with zerom, a nice korean guy who's good at VF (the akira you mention), I can tell he was probably really strong at tb, since he was doing pretty nice stuff on his second day of VF4. I also met kuiju, but didn't get to play with him.

Yeah, it's version B.

I'll write more later.

Spotlite

3. gribbly

cool, yeah sorry I missed you too -- by half an hour by the sounds. Zerom, right, that was the Akira :) Is kuiju a Jacky or a Lion? Those were the other characters I fought against today.

And wait I couldn't have played Myke (as in moderator Myke)... I just checked his profile and he's in Sydney *oops*. So it was another Mike :)

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I was just abt to tell u it was impossible to have played Myke~! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

People are always confusing him with other mikes~

I'm glad u finally got ur paws onto VF4...good fun eh! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

5. gribbly

fun? for sure :)

It really is more like VF2... just a bit more intense and ferocious. I fired up 3tb on the dreamcast tonight -- I needed a fix -- and really noticed... not so much a speed difference... but an intensity difference.

Oh well, now to study the FAQ in preparation for UCLA... two weeks... and counting!

Other things that I remember now that I forgot in my long post:

* the really cool win poses. Jacky had the best one I saw, a head level kick towards the camera with the foot really close to the 'lens'. Looked so sweet.

* the 'dammit' ring out animations. Pretty cute :)

* Shun's eyebrows are cool in the character select screen!

* I always forgot to wiggle the joystick when I was stunned.

Unfortunately the sound was really low, so I didn't get to hear the SFX or music.

grib

6. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    You whats up guys. We had hella fun today. I must say zerom has a fierce ass akira. Well actually the 2nd guy we've ever played that played Akira with fierce effieciency well since vf2 lol really fun getting owned by another vfer. Good stuff.

Yeah VF I guess got the respect it deserved today but, I don't vendors just don't see a profit in it yet. They're so paranoid about the whole vf3 thing here in the states that they forget that vf2 was top gun before tekken hit the scene.

Anyway the game itself. Well damn.... where to start. We both went into it with basically what we knew from the previous games and for the most part some if it worked But, some of the ground combos I would often attempt for the hell of it in tb and didn't work surprisingly worked in 4!!!! Oh shit. Talk about leaving it to our imagination. We went at it with zerom for about i believe 3 hours since I was really late to work. My brother(lion player) was ultra pissed because we had to leave on my account.

Yeah i'm not gonna go into detail but things I didn't know at first and were a huge help was the quick recovers. Man talk about anti pounce. Thanks to zerom for that tidbit it really helped when my lame ass brother tried to lay it on me.

The volume was down and we couldn't hear anything but, we didn't give a shit the game is hella dope. Yeah what gribbly said the ring out animations and Jacky's win pose are really nice. Oh yeah sometimes I forgot to wiggle when my zerom staggered my ass.

Anyway it was fun and we look foward to our next gathering hopefully i'll get to play you spotlite I missed you we kinda got lost(fuck yahoo maps) and we tried to get there about 11 but, it didn't work out.

Well the next time you have anything hit us up through email icq or whatever so we can know in advance and show up. because I want to brush up on my Lau and Wolf I haven't played them serious in ages I felt so scrubby using them today it wasn't even funny(damn 3rd strike). Anyway if SHGL doesn't get this game they're as dumb as I think they are because they're missing out hard with their 2 T4 machines and can't spare one for vf4. Morons. I'll be on the look out.

Damn i think thats it. If not i'll be back.

Kiuju(jacky)Kiuju's brother(lion)
    p.s.Glad i'm not using tttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeee arrogant vf fan thing anymore LOL :)

7. zerom

zerom Member

Hi.. I just back from school...

It was so nice play with other VF players..

I saw spotlite , kiuju brother those whom twin , gribbly& his

friend. They are really nice people... ^_^

I' ve played with spotlite andthen played with kiuju bro and

gribbly. They are getting strong.. that was so scared me..

Um. I think that I have to play more seriously and carefully.

Anyway nice to meet U everybody...~~!

p.s : spotlite & gribbly & kiuju bro.. I'm sorry english isn't

familliar with me.. I'm a International student in SMC.

I just came here 1year ago... I didn't understand I U guys

saying. sorry....^_^ But I'm getting better...

Thanks spotlite(Bryan) for teaching...

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    And wait I couldn't have played Myke (as in moderator Myke)... I just checked his profile and he's in Sydney *oops*. So it was another Mike :)

*sigh* I need another nickname :)

Say, gribbly, you've mentioned a few times that you were from Australia? Which part if I may ask? If it was Sydney, then did I know you?

9. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    Hell yeah Zerom that shit was nuts. I could tell when you wanted to finish us off. Good stuff man. I'll get there eventually. But, it was a good learning experience as well as an ass whoopin. Just let me know when your having another gathering. We'll be there for sure.

Kiuju Ze Oni

10. gribbly

I was living in Melbourne when VF1 came out, and through the VF2 days (Bourke St. arcades, and the little ones round the corner... it's been a long time and I can't remember the names) and the beginning of VF3. Then I moved to Brisbane which is not, shall we say, a VF hotspot :) I kept my hand in with the Dreamcast, but it's not the same as having an arcade scene.

So no, I don't think we know each other!

Actually you've reminded me that I've invited my old Melbourne crew to join vfdc and share the love :) We had a nasty Sarah (Leigh) and a really scary Kage (Dan), plus solid Sarah, Lau, Shun (Mark, Nick, Liam) in the VF2 days. We never had it together as well for VF3... but VF4 could be a return to the true faith...

grib.

11. gribbly

Getting strong? Hehe you ain't seen nothing yet :)

Nice to meet you too, zerom. Your english is good, don't worry. I could tell you were having trouble sometimes -- but _everyone_ has trouble with my Australian accent :)

grib.

12. gribbly

heya kiuju...

was good to meet you... I hope we can meet again when an LA arcade has VF4...

gotta go now...

grib.

13. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Glad to see you guys had fun playing VF4 for the first time in LA! Hope you guys get an arcade machine soon. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

14. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    Yeah I know gribbly getting stronger? You make it sound kinda cool man. Yeah once a machine comes in anywhere in so cal we'll be there for damn sure. Even if its an hour and half drive ugh.... Fuckin SHGL jackasses!!!! I swear them and their tekken. I tell ya.

15. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hey Grib does this Melbourne Crew still play?...I NEED A CREW!! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif...me and Summers haven't really found anyone to play VF4 with since it came out here /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

16. gribbly

I know at least one of them has been hitting Playtime in Bourke St. Let me do some research, and I'll let you know...

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Well...so far I have only had one skip that challenged me...

I don't think he was one of ur friends...if u n ur friends were indeed playing VF3 back then...I see no reason for the person who challeneged me mashing the buttons as wolf...(to the extend..not even pressing guard button..when I told him guard is not b, but a button..he gave me the strangest look)

Other than him...I've been skooling two Tekken boys at VF4..
    If ur friend is interested, please ask him to either post here, or send me a message through Private mail at this site.

I will be free to do nothing but VF4 from next week onwards.

We can also hook up for VF3tb games~!!!

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

18. gribbly

I emailed him today and pestered him to join the forum... will see how we go. He's playing Kage, not Wolf :) Although I did have a scrubby Wolf friend (sorry Vaughan...) in the early VF3 days.

Are you playing at Bourke St. Playtime? What nights? If you're there at a regular time I can let him (and a bunch of others) know.

Hehe it seems kind of strange to be brokering VF meetings in Melbourne from LA :)

grib.

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

yah bourke st play time
    crappy machine
    G button is inconsistent...
    low res screen..
    but what the hell..at least it is one buck~!

Well..after I finish all mah assignments n exams this week..I will be available for VFing anytime next week.

Friday nights will be a good time for everyone I assume~
    But from next week onwards..I can see myself being there almost every afternoon~

Like I said...VF3tb is also fine...if they are nice blokes..polite n friendly..I am willing to let them come over to my place to play VF3tb... I got two sticks n such....

the title of this thread should be changed to melbourne gathering~~~~~~~/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

20. Caligari

Caligari New Member

I'm not the cool dude that gribbly was talkin' up just above, but I've been over at the Playtime in Bouke Street, Melbourne a few times in the last week. My name's Liam, and I'm one of the crew who used to play with gribbly back in the VF2 days. I was developing Shun at the time (never could touch gribbly's Lion). I'm now a Lau player most of the time, as I've lost a good sense of Shun's rhythm.

I've only been in at Playtime around (late) lunch a few times this last week. Beard, 30+, dark hair, heavy-set, still mashing buttons as I recall moves... still not dodging much... :) haven't played a vs match in a long time...

I'd like to echo SummErs sentiments about the low-res screen and somewhat dodgy machine. Someone else in the CBD has to get a decent machine (by which I definitely do not mean a PS2)...

---
    Liam Routt (Shun & Lau) - waiting for the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse