1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

can you buffer reversals?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by agios_katastrof, Apr 29, 2002.

1. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Quick newbie question.

Is it possible to buffer reversals? You know, like throw escapes. And if so, can you buffer in multiple reversals (again, like throw escapes).

My suspicion is that you can't, but just checking.

Much thx.

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Yes, you can buffer in reversals. However, since it's treated like an attack, you can only do one of them, and you can't guard after doing so. However, you CAN combine a reversal and a couple throw escapes if you're fast enough... imagine Akira doing shrm, mid reversal, DTE to make sure your best option is PPP.

3. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

one added note, while you can buffer the reversal, it will not have any effect until after you have fully recovered from the move you buffered it after. An example here with Akira is:

Akira throws the shoulder ram and it gets blocked. Even if Akira buffers in a high reversal, he cannot reverse any character's high punch done against him, if they buffered it out of their block stun. Akira takes too long to recover and the reversal never has a chance to come out.

However, throw escapes are only contingent on you inputing them within 10 frames of getting thrown, so it doesn't matter how long your recovery was for the move that was blocked.

4. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Thank you, both. This explains why I initially thought the reversals could not be buffered. I guess the reversals just weren't coming out in time. So let me get this straight, unlike the SF games, buffering a move does NOT knock off the last few frames of the attack that was used as a buffer? I.e., in SF, if Ryu does his classic low rh sweep into a fireball, the last few frames of the sweep are cut. But this does NOT happen in VF, right? So even in a simple PK combo, the K does not make the P recover any faster? If so, I'm finally beginning to see the light.

Buffer in a reversal and a couple of throw escapes? I wish. I can barely do the SPoD. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But this does NOT happen in VF, right? So even in a simple PK combo, the K does not make the P recover any faster? If so, I'm finally beginning to see the light.

<hr></blockquote>
    Actually, this does happen. But there is a difference between buffering in a move and (for lack of a better phrase) canceling the recovery phase of the preceding attack in a canned combo. For certain moves, which are canned combos, like ppk or Sarah’s elbow-knee, the recovery of the preceding attacks is in fact shaved off. But when we’re talking about buffering, it means a non-canned sequence, where the final frames of a preceding move are not cut off, but instead, the subsequent move is “buffered in†so that it executes smoothly and immediately after the finish of the preceding one. In this case, think of an Akira smoothly inputting one SDE after another, or buffering in a p after blocking a p counterable move.

-Jason