1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Casual Vf'er

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Is there anything inherintly wrong with someone who casually plays vf? To me, no...we should have more players..even if they do not give the dedicated player someone to challenge seriously, at least you have human competition and people enjoying the game....
    What are your thoughts?

2. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I would be all for a few casual players but there is a large
    problem with their inclusion to the game. Staying power.
    Usually the casual gamers drop off fast because at high end
    play they can't compete at all. They get smoked. This isn't
    as true in other games. I am a casual SF and Tekken player.
    We're talking casual and yet I can somehow compete at
    a decent level with people who should mop the floor with me.
    not to say I've entered any tournaments but if I drop in at
    the arcade and challeng I can usually expect to fare decently.

VF seems a different beast for this type of outlook. Which is
    why, I would argue, there are no real casual gamers. Only
    hardcore fans. VF's gamesystem isn't set up for the casual
    gamer. It's too complex to approach with anything less than
    commitment if you want to be satisfied when playing it.
    people who can't get that satisfaction from a game tend to
    stray until they find a game that allows only a fraction of
    the attention necessary.

but, i duuno. I could be wrong.

GE

3. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

Ditto.

It's obvious that most fighting games require skill/hand dexterity - but mid/high-level VF requires so much more than that: understanding flow charts, true positional variables, advanced yomi (because of the quantities of variables involved), etc; casual play simply won't warrant that sort of understanding, and thus the satisfaction with the game would be severely undermined if one wouldn't be willing to invest proper time with it and learn the intricacies of the system.

Anyway, nothing you hadn't said in your post :) I play SF, a bit more than casually, but that's the only thing that I find remotely interesting and that still garners some amount of competitive arcade play around here; there's an interesting basic system to be learned, but it's Pascal next to VF's C++, if I'm permitted a completely stupid analogy :) - there simply aren't enough variables or situations. Plus, I find that each and every 2-D game is inherently full of age-old vices, but that's another topic already. I play VF almost religiously every week, but then again, there's only one person I can seriously spar with as of now, and it's been like that for some months already. The same two people playing each other over and over again (and only each other) breeds some pesky vices as well, no matter what the game.

cheers,
    M.

4. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

I don't know, I'm a pretty casual vf'er (I only play when Shadowdean come back from college ever few months) and yet can spank him 45% of the time without having played in months. :)

- The VF Student -

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

That a challenge bitch? :=)

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu