1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Celtics gone........God dammit!

Discussion in 'General' started by Jerky, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Fuck. Fuck. FUckK. Well at least they now know what it feels like to be in a playoff situation.

2. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

gosh, what happend to Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker in the series? They disappeared? During the off season, Boston should get another offensive threat, possibly from a six man perspective.

3. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Celts got run over by Jason Kidd... Several times to be exact, with no fouls called. Sorry about your Celts, Jerky. I assume you're only talking about this year's/era's club. The Celtics are the most storied and hallowed team in the NBA beyond the Lakers. The Nets are just better this time out...

BTW, I'm a Laker fan... Game 7: Go Lakers!

4. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Yeah, just talking about our newer generation Celtics. I was hoping they'd bring it home this time. It sure has been a while...So close!

Oh, and the Lakers really need to step up...Kobe and O'neill can't do it alone. (although O'neill played incredible last game)

5. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

yeah, i was rooting for the celtics too, but i think the nets have an overall better team; all the celtics got are pierce and walker(ok, anderson and maybe battie, but the list kinda stops there). however i have to root for the nets now, cause i don't want the lakers to win /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

all the celtics got are pierce and walker(ok, anderson and maybe battie, but the list kinda stops there).

I don't think you always need more than two really good players. The Lakers are living proof that all you need are two go-to guys (Shaq and Kobe), a good coach, and role players. And look at Portland's team a few years back. Arguably the best starting five in the league at that time.

I was rooting for the Nets (I was a fan of Byron Scott growing up), but I must say that I was impressed with the Celtics' effort in their first venture deep into the playoffs in over ten years. They swept Philadelphia, almost swept the Pistons, and gave the Nets a run for their money.

7. PlugAndChug

PlugAndChug Well-Known Member

The Celtics didn't sweep the 76'ers. It went the distance, 5 games. Of course they KILLED them in game 5, but it was no rollover win for them like it was against Detroit.

Even though I wanted the Nets to win, Jason Kidd is the man, but what happened to Pierce and Walker in the 4th quarter in the last 2 games? They died. I think they only had 1 field goal in both the games combined!!!! At least Shaq and Kobe are able to score in the 4th when it really counts. Lakers need to lose, they should have lost the "fixed game of game 6", but oh well. I swear Scott Pollard and Vlade Divac got fouls called against just by looking at Shaq.

Reenactment of game 6
    Someone looks at Shaq (whistle blows)
    Refs:"Don't look at him"

8. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

ok, but look at it this way; the laker's star players complement each other; defensively against you, you try to bang it in, and shaq's there to stop you. you try to go to the outside, and kobe's there. then offensively, you just can't keep shaq out, and when you over-try, kobe's there to bang in the shot from outside.

i'm not too sure that's the same case with walker and pierce. both are excellant shooters(supposedly) and both can play defense, but you kinda need a heavy, large character and a small, quick shooter paired together. if you have that, then 2 stars are all you need. kings for example have this to some extent(webber and bibby), although they really have a lot more good players.

9. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Not necessarily true. The great Bulls teams did it without the big, heavy guy. What is probably more necessary is a pair of consistant scorers, a decent rebounder and great defense. The Michael Jordan Bulls were awesome defenders. The Lakers are among the better defensive teams in the league this year and they played the majority of their games with Western Conference clubs (which just happen to also be the higher scoring clubs in the league). The Mavericks had a good mix of guys but they lacked defense. To a lesser degree, the Kings had the same problem: they had no answer to Shaq and Kobe at the same time. But then again, who does? Food poisoning may have factored highly in at least two of their wins. Great D there, huh? As the cliché goes: Defense wins championships...

10. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

hehe. good points, but that was the equivalent of saying "just don't suck out there, ok??"

11. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Or maybe: "Just don't suck more than the other team..."
    LOL