1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Endings

Discussion in 'Console' started by killa, Mar 6, 2002.

1. killa

killa Member

Does virtua fighter4 have character endings or any story at all or is it all just fighting

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Nope, no endings.

3. Inept

Inept Member

then what do you get for winning?

4. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Does one really need some sort of "incentive" to win? Isn't enjoying playing the game, and the satisfaction of having undertaken and completed a challenge itself enough?

Story is fun but it's merely a passing concern in a fighting game. The #1 most important thing in a fighter is competitive gameplay, and VF4 excels in this. So, if you're primarily looking for shiny rendered CG endings for every character, then VF isn't for you. If you want just a wonderful fighting game experience, however...

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yay for Zero! I think you put it more succintly and politely than several of us could. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

(nods head)

what the virtua fighter series is best at is the game itself. granted its endings do suck(the ones that exist tend to be general and for everyone, such as the vf2 ending where you get a pic of metal falling off dural, or the general vf3tb ending on the dc), and aren't character specific, typically you have to wait until the next vf to find out what happens to each character.

but yeah, like zero-chan said, the whole general point and biggest strength of vf4 is the actual game, and the deep mind games. stick to tekken(or snk if you're a 2D fanatic) if you like storylines.

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I wonder if Inept was looking at an overall package. I share your opinion, but I too sometimes think a direction toward the characters development is cool totally aside from playing the game itself.

People this isn't flame bait, I play the game for the game, but as a whole VF lacks in story. (which is the case for most/all fighting games)

8. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Ugh, i hate when that happens....work on a reply and have someone already point out something....er uh yeah what he said. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. killa

killa Member

I just wanted to know if the game had endings or a story at all so i could follow but you guys flamed Im still getting vf4 when it comes the 19th regardless of it doesent have endings

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

While I agree with you for the most part on this Chan, I do think that endings can help add to the allure of the game. To me, its sort of like a special "thank you" from the game company. Though in no way nessisairy, it would be nice to have, say, a 20 second ending for each of the characters..fill in a little information about them...Heck, we could see Jeffery finally kill that damn shark or Sarah come out of her comotose state.

11. killa

killa Member

see thats why we need endings im just coming into the series from vf2 never played vf1orvf3-tb os im mising story here what shark is jeffery after?

12. killa

killa Member

see thats why we need endings im just coming into the series from vf2 never played vf1orvf3-tb os im mising story here what shark is jeffery after? sarah is in a comotose state i did not know that so the ending would be helpful to me

13. Ura_Bahn

Ura_Bahn Well-Known Member

AM2 wern't any good at producing CG Intro or Outro for their games, I did not play VF1 so i can't comment on that, VF2 ending was crap cuz dural "fell" apart under water and as Kage's mother she looked like a younger woman, the movie for VF3tb was ok but was more of a start intro than a ending.The movie for Fighting Vipers was shit the game was cool, but as many of you had said its all about the fighting

"VF is not TEKKEN it doesn't need to be, doesn't want to be"

14. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Again, I completely agree that its all about the fighting. If cuts had to be made somewhere, I rather it be taking out endings than skimping on play-testing or some other area. That being said, I think Sega, even in its current state, has enough resources to make somewhat decent CG or even real time endings.

15. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Hey there, killa. You weren't being flamed (not in my opinion, anyway).

If the character storylines are that important to you, go to the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/>home page</a>. On the left, you will see a column with <font color=orange>virtua fighter 4</font color=orange> and <font color=orange>virtua fighter 3</font color=orange>, with names underneath. To read the storyline for each character, click on a name. You will see a movelist and the character storyline, among other things.

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    "...CG Intro or Outro for their games"

OK, prepare for mild flaming.....

Outro? OUTRO?!

I take it that after you go to sleep, you don't wake up, instead you "uncrash" or begin your "notsleep" phase. Is eating food the same as "unshitting" food or is pissing "undrinking?" Do you "de-unclean" your self when you shower, or "undrive" when you park your "notbicycle." Do you "antistand" instead of sit? How about "nonworking" VF4 rather than playing it?

The internet is a wonderful place - type what you want. If I'd never seen the word "outro," I could never enjoy going off on an unsolicited, condescending tirade about it... so, thanks, I guess... entertainment abounds.

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Actually, "Outro" has been used in several recent CD albums, so while it's a bastardized word, it's not like Ura_Bahn just made it up.

Also, consider the effect that technology has on vocabulary. Where once people used to refer to "Color TV" because the norm was B&W, now you assume all TVs are color, and you say B&W TV instead. Similarly, people say "landline phones" nowadays to distinguish between regular phone systems and mobile phones.

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Not long after I posted, I thought of at least searching for outro on VFDC. Granted, if I'd found it, I'd have probably still gone off on it. I was looking to get a laugh at someone else's expense and make an ass of myself at the same time (it would be silly of me to deny that).

I certainly won't deny the effect technology has on vocabulary. The TV analogy fits my life just perfectly. I have a friend who uses the term landline mainly out of paranoia "dude, let's talk on a landline so people don't pick up our conversation." Therefore, landline reminds me more of his idiosyncrasies than what it actually denotes.

Your diplomacy is appreciated.

19. Trigger

Trigger Active Member

..real-time ending?

That's gonna be funny /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Actually, we've never seen any character act anything apart from their victory poses. Having said that, i think victory poses in VF series are some of the finest ever made for fighting games. They just fit each character perfectly. For me, I'm satisfied with just that. no need for flashy ending.

20. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

jeffry is after the devil shark or something. Every tournament, the story is the same: jeff tries to catch the shark, but ends up getting his boat trashed. So he has to enter the tournament to win enough cash to buy a new boat. Rinse, Repeat.

... you can see that Sega doesn't give much of a shit about fighting game storylines /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    That's sort of what ppl are trying to say - they spend their time on the actual game and balance and don't waste any precious paid hours making CG endings. Even the coolest ending is old after you see it two or three times, but good gameplay and balance never gets old.