1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Help

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Oct 21, 1999.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm new to VF3TB (and the entire series for that matter) and have chosen lion as the character i want to specialize in. I looked at the lion section but there aren't any guides for him. does anyone one know where i can find a good faq with a move list, combo list and anything else a new player should know?

"Without my paini'm nothing"

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Go to for movelists. I used to have a Lion FAQ on this site, but it kinda got lost during the move. There's an FAQ compiled by nycat that you can get from Hardcore Gaming. The direct link is <a href=http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/lionfaq.htm>http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/lionfaq.htm

There should also be a few FAQs on Lion that you can find at <a href=http://gamefaqs.com</a>Game FAQs</a>, although I cannot personally guarantee they are up to date or accurate.

Over the next week or so, I hope to get Step 1 guides for Sarah, Pai, and Lion written and posted. The Sarah guide is half way done.

ice-9 | Sennin

3. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks alot for the info!

"Without my pain i'm nothing"

4. Guest

Guest Guest

as you're trying to learn any new character, the first thing you should do is learn to visually distinguish all his/her moves. for example, lion has a billion different pokes and quick jabs, some from standing some from crouch, and as you're frantically pressing buttons in a fight, and something you didn't expect comes out, it's good to know "that was *f+P--how'd that happen?"

short list of important lion moves:

PPP hits high, knocks down after third P, follow-up with d/f+P ground attack

f+P mid elbow, staggers crouching opponent

f+P,P second P is a mid follow-up to the f+P elbow. if the elbow staggers, the second P *usually* knocks down (opponent can struggle out of it), follow-up with d+K,K or u/f+K. good pushing power.

d/f+P mid jab, with option of second P continuation.

(btw, don't get in the habit of automatically doing the second P in d/f+P,P or f+P,P whenever you do the first. f+P and d/f+P can be used to set up other attacks and throws.)

d/f+K sidekick, hits mid, staggers crouching opponent, knocks down on counter.

u+P+K spinny upper-cut, hits mid, knocks down, follow up with d+K, d/f+P or d+K,K depending on whether you hit a crouching or standing opponent

(you can always try more damaging follow-up gound attacks that take longer to come out that the one's i've listed, but they aren't assured)

u+K,K dancing kicks, hits mid then high, first kick floats. if both kicks connect, follow up with d,U+P (high pounce).

d+P+E dodging low trip. low, knocks down, high-throw counterable. good for a quick knowdown, good against high rising attacks.

throws:
    P+G
    *f+P+G (* means "from crouch") follow up with d+K,K or d,U+P. Lion's most damaging throw.
    f>b+P+G (forward half circle back). signature lion throw. follow-up with E,d/f+P
    f,f+P+G
    b+P+G
    d/f+P+G

(the rest of his important moves i'll just list, not because they aren't as important as the ones above, but i don't have time to write little blurbs for each one)

low sweeps and kicks:
    d+K
    d+K,K
    d/b+K
    d+K+G

low pokes
    d+P
    d/b+P
    d/b+P,P
    *d/f+P (* means "from crouch")
    *d/f+P,P
    d+P+K

flashy moves (but not so important):
    f+P+E
    d+K,K+G

standard combo starters:
    bb+K,P+K
    *f+P

bb+K,P+K combos:
    bb+K,G,u+P
    bb+K,P+K
    ff+K,K
    and more.

5. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Lion has 2 more throws:
    u/f+P+G, no real follow ups that I'm aware of that are guaranteed. Becomes a wall throw if opponent has back to wall.

f,b+P+G, the superman throw. The most stylish (in my opinion). Good ring out potential. Becomes a wall throw if you're back is to the wall. Be careful with this one, as it's also possible to ring yourself out with it, if you're not paying attention, and if it's reversed, you're gonna be in a world of hurt, as you land with your back turned and vulnerable.

Nutlog

6. Guest

Guest Guest

b,f+P+G

b,f+P+G only rings your opponent out if you're within a step or so of the edge, so ring-out wise i think it's only useful as alternative to d/f+P+G.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: b,f+P+G

Actually, you're right, Peter. But, around here, we're so used to d/f throws for ring outs that none of use ever use it there any more, except for an occasional surprise.

Nutlog

8. Guest

Guest Guest

uuughhh

nutlog, for kage in a similar situation, does the TFT or f+P+G have more ring out potential? the TFT of course. is your opponent more likely to escape b than f? probably, that's a seperate issue.

9. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Re: uuughhh

True, but the original post was to correct the omission of 2 throws in Lion's list. Both of which have great potential for adding style to gameplay. And I still have never seen anyone, in a match, reverse the u/f throw. It has definite uses, and the b/f was to give another option. Anyone worth they're salt is almost always gonna go for d/f reversals near the edge of the ring. b/f is just another option.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: uuughhh

Nutlog, keep in mind that we're giving advice to Step 1 players. They don't need to know all the throws at this point, just the most important ones.

ice-9 | Sennin

11. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Re: Oho

I'm not sure about those "Step 1 Players". I mean...I took a look at the Step 1 Guide for Jacky, and it's pretty complex for someone who just started playing.

Besides, I have not seen a Jacky player flawlessly executing Step 1 strategies. As for me, I screw up on foot-stance, more often than I would want.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: Oho

Hmm, that's what I thought too. Shota, wanna go through it and rewrite some parts to make it more Step 1 friendly (please please please)?

ice-9 | Sennin

13. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Re: u/f+pg throw

Well there's a reason why no one ever reverses this throw... not only is it the only throw in the game that is reversed u/f, but its also a piddling 40 point damage throw... which makes it, in my opinion, a guaranteed 40 points of damage in a guarenteed throw situation...

however, having said that, I've been known to overutilize this throw against Yupasawa, for obvious aesthetic reasons. This got him to reversing the throw which lead to interesting situations where we'd see seemingly random catch throws...

Do not underestimate the psychological advantage of regularly using this throw against people who play female characters. Winning matches is not necessarily about maximizing damage in every individual instance.

-Jason

14. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

jason, you sick bastard!

-clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Damn how did i miss that post? ^^;

Poor Hans *grin*; perhaps Jason should use Sukebe Lion as his ring name ^_____^, and ring yourself out if you accidentially pull that throw off to any male characters.