1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Selection (specific)

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by SirLagalott, Mar 28, 2002.

1. SirLagalott

SirLagalott Member

Hi everyone. I've learned the basics with Kage Maru, but I'm not too sure if he is the right character for me.

I have a couple of things that I'd want in a charcter, and I'd like to hear "all youse guyses opinons" as my stupid friend once said.

1. Depth. I don't want to master this guy any time soon, but when I do master him, I want to be as unstoppable as possible.
    2. I want well roundedness. I don't want to rely on being a turtle or... something thats not a turtle. Of course this may go with requirement #1...
    3. Speed. At first I thought Akira was going to be great, but nearly every move takes so long!
    4. Lastly, Several power moves. With kage, no move has great stagger-ability or power

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

OK, I'm going to use this thread as an excuse to promote my chara of choice.
    You really might want to consider giving Vanessa a shot.
    1. Vanessa has the largest moveset in the game, and two completely different stances with which to attack in. Learning one stance alone will take a while. Learning both...
    2. DF stance is, aqequately, more defense-oriented and a bit on the slower side overall, but it offers opportunities for reversal, inashi, big throws, and lots of hard punishing strikes. MT style is faster and more oriented towards continuous offense, but offers signifcantly less in the reversal and throw department.
    3. Mostly MT style for you then, I'd think. (^^)
    4. Vane has some nice staggers, two charge moves that can be very effective, a unique variety of dodge-attacks, and a bunch of really, really cool throws, hit-throws, and catch-throws.

HOWEVER...
    Be warned that she will take *lots* of time and trial and error before you can begin to use her effectively. But she's very, very worth it if you're willing to commit to her.

3. SirLagalott

SirLagalott Member

ROFL! I just came down to ask if anyone objected to me trying out vanessa! lol. I was using ice9's, albiet outdated (I think?), charecter chart.

I really like vanessa me thinks. easy to get into stances (unlike leifei) good "canned" combos... mixup-able attackes (as in top or bottom)..

So unless someone can give me a really good reason to not use vanessa, I'm going to use her.

4. SirLagalott

SirLagalott Member

Hey, do you know where I can find a guide? Or will I have to wing it? Vanessa is very powerful, but I wanna be untouchable! And be able to beat 5 dan... I was only BARLY able to with Kage, and I trained alot...

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

check on HOME .. you'll see where the char. guides and stuff are kept. uk-gangsta-g-money-p-dawgg wrote a pretty decent kage guide.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

No formal Vanessa guide as of yet, but there are a TON of Vanessa related posts... she has some of the longest threads dedicated to her alone. Use the forum search function.... it really is your friend.

7. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

If anyone minds helping me pick a character I'd be appriciative. I'm giving this game a chance, I mainly play the Capcom series, Tekken series, and Guilty Gear X. I don't like really evasive characters, either patient turtling or bulldog rushdown. I just don't do well with evasion /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif If it will help some characters I like in other games include
    Capcom vs SNK2: Eagle, Vega, Blanka, Balrog, Bison, Iori, Raiden.
    Tekken4: Bryan, King, Steve, Yoshi, Julia
    Soul Calibur: Nightmare, Yoshi, Astaroth
    GGX: Potemkin, May, Jam, Venom, Sol, Zato.

Sorry, that was a lot of characters. Thanks in advance.

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

I'll second (or third) the choice for Vanessa. As a newcomer to VF4 via Tekken I went through everyone with the exception of Lau in command and free training to get a feel.
    Vane definately has it all for nearly everyone to a modest degree. The problem is mastery and the complex interaction you have to learn to use her in all situations.
    The only fault I can see with her (have her at 9th dan Kumite which I figure is pretty sharp seeing as I sucked the day I got it) is somewhat of a weak low game and evasion punishment (other than throws which are too easy to break with an evading throw escape). While most of her power moves and effective combo starters come out relatively slow, her ability to set up for them is nearly unmatched (friggin Lei in the hands of a dedicated person is a nightmare to face).

Re: Iceman
    Based solely on your SC and T4 picks, I'd say Vanessa as well. She can throw like King, despite not having Wolfs chains, move fast like Julia or Bryan and punish as harshly as Steve or Astaroth.
    But seeing as you have this fascination with Yoshi, you may be into the whole 'control the floor' routine with weird deceptive moves and general confusion. This Vanessa cannot provide as well as several others in VF4... you're either in their face or baiting them into gettin in your face and paying the price. There's no fancy dancing around looking cool... she's cool through virtue of respect for her prowess alone.

Truly, is there any playstyle that Vanessa cannot accomodate in some fashion? Maybe downplay... but you got Lion for that so shaddap. Heh.

9. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Thank's Typhoon, I think Vanessa is the character I'm going to play after all.

10. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

I think Vannesa is a great choice although I don't know how to use. She got alot of moves that is not throw-counterable. She got reversal, inashi. She got a variety of throws. Long range low throw. She got so much to offer. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif "Look at my picture before my mule kick hit you in your face!" /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

11. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

Hey Vannessa is even good at "cheese" playing! shes unstopable if you want to be cheap Just keep using back charge kick (b,b,k+g) at full charge and even if they guard it the get staggerd and are open to low throws wich are d+f,p+k+g or d,p+k+g and when there on the ground...... soccerball kick! weee! And before they get up start the back charge kick again and they wont counter it the just guard leaving them open to a low throw! and so on and so forth. Hope it helps if your getting womped by any of the comps in kumite.

12. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

However, Vanessa b,b,k+g is easily dodged /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

13. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

The comps dont dodge it. If you start it before they get up, when they do get up they just guard. So far it has worked up to subjagator lvl in kumite for me.