1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Tournament Rankings in Japan

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by akai, Aug 19, 2007.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Character Rankings or Character Success in Tournaments

The Version B "Entry" and "Semifinal" Rankings are based on 1072 tournaments, while the "Finals" and "Winners" Rankings are based on 2167 tournaments. The Version C "Entry" and "Semifinal" Rankings are based on 1647 tournaments in Japan, while the "Finals" and "Winners" Rankings are based are 2243 tournaments.

Note: You may have to use the horizontal scroll bar to see both charts

[​IMG]

Character Rankings Summary - The colors are arbitrary rankings of a character's success rate in tournaments as either average (yellow), high (dark red), or low (dark blue). The numbers are rankings of a character from a scale of 1 (best) to 17 (worst). Note that the number ranks of 1-17 does not necessarily mean that a character rank 17 is severely disadvantaged compare to a character rank 1.

How do you read the chart? - As an example, I will use Version C Shun: Shun is not a very popular character choice by players entering tournaments, ranking 15th overall. However, the general population of Shun players have above average success in advancing to the semifinals, with a rank score of 2.5. The Shun semifinalists, have a similar rank score in advancing to the finals(rank score of 3) yet it is only a slightly above average success. Lastly, the population of Shun finalists have average success in winning tournaments with a ranking score of 10.

How were the charts made? - The information above is based on calculations (change in % character distribution and % character advancement) I used on raw tournament results at www.virtuafighter.jp website. The calculations relate to the change in character representation throughout a tournament: 1) at the beginning of tournaments (entry), 2) at the semifinals, 3) at the finals, and 4) in conclusion of tournaments (winners).

[​IMG]

The Finals and Winners columns are based on VF5R version A tournaments sponsored by Sega in Japan (2355 total tournaments with 48611 player entries from 7-25-08 to 5-20-09). The Entry and Semifinals columns are based on 1348 total tournaments with 28825 player entries from 7-25-08 to 1-7-09).

[​IMG]

Final Showdown Character Rankings Chart (Note: slightly different columns compared to previous charts - see post on Jan 5, 2012)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

nice... very nice.

edit: shun dropped like a rock. heh.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

This awesome info akai!! Lots of thanks! Not only is the ranking numbers at each stage and colors helpful, the change in colors across stages also say a lot.

It is interesting to note how lots of Akiras and Laus enter tournaments in Version C but few advance far. Ditto for Pai in Version B.

4. 33

33 Active Member

very, very cool on so many levels. . . . also, honestly didn't realize kage was like that.

5. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Thanks, I plan to update the version C charts on a monthly basis. I think the character rankings in "finals" and "winners" will change quite a bit (except maybe Kage and Eileen), since it is only based on two weeks worth of tournaments.

6. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

Great chart Akai, and it's especially easy to read with the color scheme. It goes to show how the revision C changes have a big impact in the beginning as players are learning to adapt to these changes.

7. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

i really had no clue there were THAT many kage players in japan.

8. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

There are ALOT of kages here. At least from my experience, when people sat down to challenge me and their card was being read, I was sitting on the other side thinking, watch, another kage. 40% of the time I was right. :p

9. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I wonder why Goh is so unpopular in Japan. I mean, there is like a million Goh avatars on Shoryuken.

Where is the love for the bastard child of Akira and Jeffry? (hell, Jeffry is 9th in ver. C?!)

10. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

After discussions with Japanese friends, I think Goh is unpopular for two reasons:

1) When he was first introduced in Evo, he was pretty weak and he relied heavily on sabakis and inashis which made him difficult to use.

2) His appearance is too dark and personality-heavy for lots of Japanese VF players. According to my friends, VF players like "thin" or "light" personality characters. Almost all of the VF characters are generic and as far as I know, Japanese VF players like it that way. If they wanted more personality, they would play Tekken.

11. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    1) I guess that would explain why Brad is also less popular.

2) Understandable, but from my POV: why play pedo-bait/kawai~i shit when you can go for the Ghold?

I wonder why Vanessa/Shun fall under the same category as well (okay, I can take a guess, but...)

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's interesting isn't it how a character like Lion can be popular in Japan whereas a character like Goh is shunned, and then to see the complete opposite in the West.

But that does show how difficult it is to develop for two different markets with different tastes.

13. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

i understand the whole cultural difference thing, but i never really thought about personality when choosing a character for any game. hell, this is coming from a person who used to play tekken competitively and exclusively.

14. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Well, another way you can look at who is the most popular characters are
    1) original VF 1 crew
    2) difficulty of using the character

15. Makatiel

Well, I guess they likely mean looks and personality as seen through the characters moveset, win quotes, etc.

I'm guessing you probably don't really consider that because you play competitively. If you play mostly for fun, then you're going to want a character that you like, I would think.

Personally, I just like judo.

16. Makatiel

With Lion, I honestly also think that one of the main reasons he's unpopular in the west is because of his shitty voice. Seriously, he sounds annoying. In Japan, if they had an annoying sounding Japanese language character, I bet that character would be unpopular too. As it is, I'm guessing that they just don't understand (viscerally that is) how goddamn annoying Lion is.

17. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

hey now... take it easy on lion. he's twice the man he used to be.

18. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Re: Version B Rankings

Below is character rankings based on 2000 tournaments with a total of 66595 player entries during November 2, 2006 to July 23, 2007 (Pre-Version C). Due to less information available per tournament, only finals and winners categories can be calculated.

[​IMG]

Comparing this chart versus the chart from the first post, the two charts are relatively similar in ranking characters. Does this mean that one-month-worth of tournament data is an accurate ranking of characters success in tournaments?

Below is a line graph looking at Goh's, Kage's, and Wolf's monthly "Winners" ranks.

[​IMG]

For most of the months, the character rankings of Goh, Kage, and Wolf remain relatively at the same position to each other. However, character rankings in January is pretty skewed. Thus, one month worth of data may not be an entirely accurate measurement.

I am unsure how the "Tougeki Tier List" was derived, but for fun, comparing it to my character tournament "winners" ranking data, the Tougeki Tier List overrated Lei and underestimated Aoi.

As much as I try to make a fair, unbiased character rankings chart, there are always variables that can skew the data such as 1) differences between each tournament, 2) individual player skill level, 3) same character matches, and 4) possibly biased assumptions and errors on my handling of the data. So take the information with some reservation.

As for the "Above Average" and "Below Average" ranks, they were determined for the most part by the standard deviation between all the characters. For example, the above and below average rankings listed in this post is approximately plus or minus 5-10% from the average (50% winning percentage)

Next week or two, I should have the first full month of Version C Rankings up.

19. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Great job with these stats Akai. Really interesting data. I always wonder if AM2 does something similar to this.

20. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

damn akai...