1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Tournament Rankings in Japan

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by akai, Aug 19, 2007.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    erDRaug - oops, I forgot to shade it :p. Fixed!

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    xX_SETTRA_Xx
    XBL:
    xX SETTRA Xx
    Interesting chart. I heard that Taka isnt the most popular, but that score is really low. I know quite a few people who are playing with the thought to give him a try. Im really curios how such a chart would look like for the western hemisphere.

3. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    [​IMG]

Still waiting on the last few tournaments of December to finish up Version A chart. Until then, here is FS (Pre-Version A) chart + raw data. A total of 1789 tournaments (33677 player entries) from the beginning of FS to the last day before Version A.

The chart is done exactly the same way as I have done in the past with one difference. I had no desire to tally up individual player entries. So there is no data for that column. The "semifinals spread" is different from the semis column in the past charts. In the past the semis column (like the finals and winners column) was a ranking based on change of character distribution plus difference in % advancement. In this chart and the upcoming Version A chart, the "semifinals spread" is basically the same as the "entries" column in past charts.

Basically from the chart, Lau players, followed by Shun players have the highest success in the daily Sega tournaments.

[​IMG]

4. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Version A (includes Version A.1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Cheers for posting these up akai, the Version A figures for Lau and Akira are pretty much consistent with the pre version A ones. Surprising to see Wolf players doing that poorly even though there were a lot of entrants using him.

6. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

Whaaattt? Aoi and Blaze have the lowest final winnings [​IMG]!? I thought it would be better due to recent tournament wins. Can't say the same about Blaze though [​IMG]

And of course Akira and Jacky have some of the highest, I hope they tone them down before console release. Pai's pretty high on that spectrum, not surprising since she has a ridiculous amount of nasty new tricks since FS's changes.

7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

It seems the good taka players really dominate once they get to the finals. Interesting.

8. Feck

I don't think you can judge the balance of the characters by looking at these figures. Like Tricky mentioned, Taka players were doing really well in the finals too and he's low tier if I remember right.

9. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    SS: Akira
    S: Lion, Jacky, Taka-arashi
    A: Goh, Lau, Wolf, Brad, Shun, Vanessa, Jean, Sarah, Kage, Jeffry, El Blaze
    B: Pai, Aoi, Lei-Fei, Eileen

From Reno's thread on Arcadia's Version A Tier List. In early version of R, Taka was consider relatively low tier by Japanese tier lists. The tournament rankings chart I have made up have always suggested Taka players having fairly good success, regardless of the Japanese tier lists.

One of the original reason why I collected the data was to see how well "tier lists" match with players' success in tournaments. --> My post about tier lists and the charts in this thread. Can't believe I have been doing this on and off for 4 years now! But the main message I took out of this is:

Any single tier list or ranking chart by itself should be taken with a grain of salt. However, when you have multiple lists based on different criteria producing similar rankings then it strengthens/supports that character's "tier position/rank." While I tried to take a more objective approach, it is still very subjective.

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    *[4][P]+[K][P]'s the heretics*

11. Feck

</div> </div></div>

Get it done Sebo, apart from what i've read in Reno's posts I don't know much about him.

12. Tiripsem

Maybe not be these figures but they do support the fact that they have a much higher win rate than the average character. If you look at several FS videos with Jacky or Akira, mostly they have a winning rate around 65%-70% (often; sometimes outrageously high) while every other character has the basic 50%-60% (or less; to me this is a very good indicator of balance in the game). Of course this isn't taking player skill into account making even those numbers a bit iffy. Still they have things like body check and somersault that do instant heavy damage regardless of weight, mid full circ (Jacky), sabakis (really, as slide shuffle didn't do enough with spacing?), guard breaks (Akira) (some characters received one but they are not as effective (ex: Aoi has to go through tenchi to use hers which iirc has no guaranteed followup and Shun has to drink first and use it up to utilize his), and low sweep (Jacky). It makes ETEG the only semi-safe option but now only one throw escape can be used.

Once again, this all depends on the player skill which until FS comes to us, I can't tell how balanced it'll turn out to be. You can't say that people aren't annoyed by how easily they can deal damage though (Why didn't every character get a high damaging attack? I get tired of doing Aoi's combos too sometimes [​IMG])/ shatter defenses/ how they barely escape extra damage due to their weight (Yes you, Akira -_-) but are fast enough to still whoop behind.

It's a little aggravating when you have to work twice as hard as the other to get a win [​IMG].

13. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Crybaby. Both of those characters require skill. Secondly Ak bc is far more damaging than jacky backflip. Jacky has to earn his damage. Dont cry now. you shortcutted around the basics and now you will pay for it. You use a character in which she could never be put at disadvantage.. It all evens out. Keep trying to attack your way out of dis... You will pay dearly.

14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The funniest thing about all this is people thinking the tier list will save them. The game is quite balanced, and if some people think good players using characters at the bottom of the tier list won't open them up, they're in for a surprise.

15. Tiripsem

I've "shortcutted" around the basics? Says the guy who 2P's whenever he's at disadvantage and then spouts 'philosophical' non-sense about using what I give you, you of all people should be the last person to criticize me (especially when you only played me ONCE and think you know my play style).

Aoi never at disadvantage? You mean her sabakis? You know she only has a sidekick sabaki now right? You can launch her all day with kicks when she's a disadvantage.

Thank you though, now that I remember there are people like you playing, I have more of an incentive to practice.

16. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Me 2p all day? Right!!! it work and it stuffed your bullshit. You refuse to punish it so i basically ran it into the ground until you stopped it. it made the match easier and quicker. You flipped on me saying some bullshit.. basically the same bullshit you crying about now. You can practice all you want.. Im still gonna beat your ass like you stole something.. You Weak Nigga.. Stay Free.

17. Tiripsem

"Me 2p all day?"

Yes.

And apparently it makes you think you're hot s***. If you had an ounce of intelligence you would see that what I'm "crying about" has nothing to do with your bullcrap 'strategy'. Write like the proper adult you're supposed to be. Honestly I can go on even putting you on blast on how you went ape s*** just because I wrote that you were disrespectful during the match or how you're grown adult and act like you're a 15 year old "thug" but I wouldn't stoop as low as you.

"You weak nigga.. stay free"?

Even though you might actually have skill (I'm admitting that), I don't see how anyone would ever have shred of respect for you. Keep posting, I'm done with you, 'stay free'.

18. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Check out Kakurikon's AO at Tokyo pre-KS. The hottest fight I've seen for FS!

19. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    You can tell who the real weak nigga is by the way they express themselves with their posts. SDS, why can't you just stay free and stop taking your ass-whoppings personally?

20. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Too bad the archive is not available, yet! Hopefully they will released it. There is Kakurikon's final match in VF.TV Episode 11 (As well as the other 4 Pre-KS) final matches. He was also in Newton's Cup, but that is not available yet either.