1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheating your way up the ladder

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by Jalaad, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Jalaad

Jalaad Member

Hmph. I've been reading a number of posts (both here and at my school's VF4 BBS) about cheating your way to the top of the rankings, simply by using two memory cards and a little copy-file cleverness. I'm wondering: How many people have done this, and what has it gotten you?

The problem I have with cheating the system is thus: You're not only hurting your own reputation (for the embarrassment you'll get when someone who EARNED their rank trounces your ass), but you get nothing out of it in return. The whole purpose of the game's ranking system is to provide a definite measurable quantity that represents your skill as a Virtua FIghter. If someone is better than you are, they'll most likely be ranked higher. What do you get for faking a rank? That extra-special 100-win item that your skills are too pathetic to earn otherwise?

Don't cheat the CPU just so you can get pretty stuff to wear. Once you tire of it and start losing to actual people, you'll just get demoted again anyway. (Unless, of course, you cheated all the way up to Emperor level and can't get demoted, in which case you have so much free time that VF4 rankings should be your least concern.) Just think of the embarrassment: "Man, I just saw The Emperor lose to a guy at 9th kyu... talk about rough..."

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Don't cheat the CPU just so you can get pretty stuff to wear.

laugh, dude, why are you bothering telling people what to do?
    A lot of people on this forum are treasure hunters. They make no secret of it. A lot of them (most of them) don't even have real humans to play against, or at least don't have competent opponents. So they might as well accessorize.

You're also assuming they'll be playing real people with real records and using their kumite cheat-characters etc. etc. This sort of thing (people giving enough of a shit to remove and plug in memory cards while challenging a mix of people) is only going on in a few tiny pockets in america.

Hell, even if you DO play the CPU like they'd play a human, it really isn't teaching you much. The CPU -constantly- reads your inputs and escapes throws on reflex, reverses psychically, etc. Beating it legitimately still won't help your vs. human game.

3. Jalaad

Jalaad Member

Hey, I was under the impression that the entire purpose of these threads was to voice an opinion. Maybe I was wrong...

Seriously, though, this is a major annoyance. I'm simply asking others if they have the same pet peeve; obviously they don't. I apologize if I've offended anyone with my words, but hey. We've all got our own take on things, don't we? Apparently I was misinformed.

I agree about the great schism between vs. human and vs. computer, though. If a game company ever comes up with fighting A.I. that's truly worthy of a human opponent, I'll be the first in line. (Then again, how much fun would it be conquering a perfect A.I. if you couldn't trash-talk afterwards?)

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Jalaad, you're free to express your opinions here. I think CreeD was trying to say that your "plea" was an exercise in futility because it's plainly obvious that there are some people who only care about all the items and accessories they can unlock, even if they have to "cheat" their way to get it.

I'm sure CreeD agrees with you in principle, in that people should be concerned with the "fighting" in the game more than anything else. But it remains to be seen where they'll all go once the novelty has worn off.

5. etrok

etrok Member

i say first off, never apologize for what u believe in!!!! stand ur ground!!!!! second, cheaters suck!!!!! it is thier way of saying they "accomplished" something when they know in the back of thier minds that they are worthless of calling themselves gamers and ruining thier own experience. also, the only ones that will take offence to what u say are the ones that realize u are downplaying thier ONLY way to beat games by cheating!!!!

6. modestmouse

modestmouse Member

It's not cheating if you could care less about HOW you get the items, just as long as you get them for your characters just so you can worry about what truly matters - VS MODE!

If there was a cheat for all items and costume colors, then I'd be the first to input it in. All this searching for items for my favorite characters just takes away more time from the actual game. I'm not cheating myself since playing against the computer is far from being a testament to how good someone is.

Some of us just care about VS mode, and getting all the items are just a bonus that really just takes up more time than we would like.

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

There's a Gameshark code for all items (but not rank and colors) for the JP version. Don't know if there's a code for the US version out yet, though...