1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago --New start

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by MADrox, Jan 17, 2006.

1. KingZeal

KingZeal Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a late reply.

And I'm sorry, but I don't remember you from your username. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Can you help remind me? Anyone who knows me in real life is an acquaintance I don't want to lose.

Anyway, my crew and I are cool. Currently scattered across the four winds with the death of our Game Club, though. We're trying to figure out how to put something new together, but outside of using our own apartments, there's not much that a bunch of broke Chicagoans can do. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

How about you? What have you been up to?

2. Phalez16

Phalez16 New Member

Midwest Players UNITE!

I was just wondering if there are any players in the midwest that get together and play? I am in the chicagoland suburbs so if there is anyone who plays in the area or would like to play online to get a good connection here is where you would want to post. Midwest needs to up there support for the fighting game community and I hope this thread will help. There is a usual gathering spot called AREAXIII in the chicago suburbs that we all meet up and play just about any fight game out there. So if you are interested let me know and I will post the location.

FIGHT ON!!!

3. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Re: Midwest Players UNITE!

I'll add you to the VFDC Friends gamertag on XBL!

4. Phalez16

Phalez16 New Member

Sorry I didn't see the chicago thread. My bad. [​IMG] I will check here for stuff. Also like I said there is a place just outside of the city in the burbs that has gatherings every week for all fight games.

5. Cricket

Cricket Member

I'm interested in this AREAXIII, Phalez16. While I'm essentially a beginner-level VF player myself, I'd like to see what the place is all about ... even though I'd have nothing to offer in the way of competition.

Could you post some info or shoot me a PM, please? From what I found via Google it was all about 2D fighters, SRK, and whatnot, which I'm not really into...

6. Swamp

Swamp New Member

I'm looking for information about where the usual meetup spots are, and how often do people game. I'm trying to figure out locations and times ASAP to determine whether or not it would be beneficial to attend @ night [Trying not to take the CTA/PACE w/ arcade stick/camera @ night]. Otherwise, we don't mind taxi'ing it to wherever.

I'm aware of the AREAXIII location, but from what people tell me, it a bit far from my reach [Southside Chicago].

7. Cricket

Cricket Member

Game Pazzo

Just a heads-up on a gaming venue I noticed was opening up here in Downers Grove, IL (western Chicago suburbs). Can't say if it will lead to any major suburban offline VF bliss or anything, but I thought I'd share...

Game Pazzo
    2011 63rd St.
    Downers Grove, IL 60516
    www.gamepazzo.com

8. Righteous_Dream

Righteous_Dream Active Member

Re: Game Pazzo

So like.. Does anyone in Chicago still play this, or am I forever alone here >.>

9. bao

bao New Member

not forever alone

i actually just started playing, ps3 though, neiu area, try finding people on srk chicago thread, its more active.

10. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Re: not forever alone

UFGT8 - If you live in the Chicago area, this event might be the best way to find fellow Chicago players that would play Virtua Fighter.

11. Righteous_Dream

Righteous_Dream Active Member

thanks

12. AU_IM_DIGIMON

AU_IM_DIGIMON Active Member

PSN:
    AUIMDIGIMON

Yo everyone. I'm actually from and live in WI. But the WI forums are so dead, it's kinda pointless to post in them lmfao.

So anyways, I'm Webster. I been in the FGC for YEARS (since the early days of Tekken 3). I been a fan of VF since VF2. But never played VF competitively because I never had a local scene for it (nor had a 360 to play online).

But in June that's about to change lol. So I plan on picking up VF5: FS and grind it hard. Hoping there's players in IL that's close to the WI boarder willing to come up for casuals/tourneys in WI.

But if not then I'll see you all on PSN.

13. MightyMar

MightyMar New Member

Does anyone play near Aurora. Also, does anyone use skype. I want to coordinate skype a community for the game so that we can schedule local matches online as well as off and do matchup discussions.

14. Soufside

Soufside New Member

hey everyone, greetings and all that. im not sure if i recognize any of these usernames with the exception of au_im_digimon from being in my mystery game pool at ufgt, so apologies in advance if you all already know this...but here are some spots for you to check out

www.gallopingghostarcade.com GGA in brookfield, il is my personal favorite spot in the chicagoland area and im forever indebted to GGA Medina for showing me this place and introducing me to the chicago FGC. every thursday from 3pm-2am (general crowd shows up and fills the room pretty packed like around 6 or 7pm) they host Windy City Showdown. for $5 we get the private party room to ourselves for whatever fighting games we desire...at the moment it is mostly SSF4:AE, UMVC3, MK9, Skullgirls, and kofXIII...but a lot of us are picking up VF5:FS so this will definitely be a place to practice. or at least it will be for the next month or so should anyone drop it down the line.

www.nickelcitygames.com Nickel City is the archaic mecca of chicagoland's fighters. it has stood the test of time and continues to give back by offering its party room every saturday from 7pm-1am for only $2. also, the owner is a good friend of some of the FGC members and made a deal special for our saturdays-$3 for a slice of pizza and a pop. this generally gets the same crowd/games as GGA with a few extra Marvel heads. also, the first 5 (i think 5, maybe 3...dont quote me) to bring a console set up get in for free.

www.ignitenetwork.com and last but not least we have Ignite on mondays. i dont know much about ignite as its not a good day of the week for me, but i do know im missing out on chicago's best kof players cause that seems to be where they all meet to play my favorite game. this is mostly a spot for kof and ssf4 from what ive heard, no idea if vf5 will get played...and to be bold, im not sure if i plan on checking it out for myself as it costs $10 and have heard many complaints about laggy monitors. sorry ignite, i dont mean to give you a bad name...its just the word that goes around. i would find out for myself but mondays are horrid for me.

sorry for the long post, just wanted to get that all out there as 3D fighters are definitely lacking at our weekly gatherings. i was super let down to find out chicago had solid SCV players who were too caught up in the hermit life to come play with us, cause i was seriously excited about that game...and now im excited about VF5:FS so everyone should come out more! 3D and 2D can live in harmony...or something like that.

15. Soufside

Soufside New Member

16. KillaKen

KillaKen Well-Known Member

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7

Are there any local events for this game coming up anytime soon?

17. Scromps

Scromps New Member

As far as tournaments are concerned, keep your eyes peeled for the next Nickel City monthly. The July one hasn't been scheduled yet, but it will be announced first on the Chicago FGC FB group before being posted to forums.

CFGCFBG -> http://www.facebook.com/groups/267588799973617/

18. grap3fruitman

grap3fruitman Active Member

I've never been but I hear there's a regular fighting game gathering at Galloping Ghost every Thursday. Has anyone been before or will be attending tomorrow? Despite how terrible I am, I'd like to get some games in offline and I'm contemplating going.

19. KillaKen

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7

Thank you for this.

20. KillaKen

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7

I came here to up this thread to say that I posted a question asking if VF5FS gets any burn at GGA on their Facebook page and a few people replied.

They have a setup there with Final Showdown. If people want to get some games in, possibly some tourneys and stuff, I think we should all try to meet up there one day and play. I've heard that majority of the gamers there play 2D fighters, so if a lot of VF heads show up one day and start playing, I'm sure it would get some attention.

I've never been to GGA but I've heard great things about it, but I don't want to drive out there if nobody is playing VF.