1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Chicago or Indianapolis VF4 machine?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Happy_Friend, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

Where? Please, someone tell me.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

the only VF4 machine in the entire US is at a golfland in california. .. as far as I recall. It's not officially out here yet. Soon. Reallllll soooooon. Nag your local distributor.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

3. Happy_Friend

Thanks. I really am dying to play it and there is a Sega GameWorks an hour away from me. If they do not get it, I am considering firebombing the place. Or maybe I'll just go into their men's room and pee in the sink and wash my hands in the urinal, heh heh. Oh wait. I am not sure that would further my cause.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Just pray that the sticks last longer than a week if it does arrive at Gameworks. As far as I'm concerned, unless VF4 is one of the staff's favorite games, they're not known for maintanence...

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

they're not known for good pricing either. Probably pissing in the sink would be a good way to express that.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

6. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    Yeah fuckin hate that place. Especially when they were the only ones carrying vf3.... have pity for me... please.

Kiuju Ze Oni

7. Happy_Friend

I have honestly never been there. I am not the arcade man really. I will play on consoles usually. Vf is the only game I can play with a stick. I can do Akira's Stun palm and dlc, but I can't do a dragon punch with a stick, or at least not as quick as I can with the pad. I am sure that there will be a Vf4 machine somewhere in Chicago and I can get there pretty easy and hopefully it won't be in the Sega Land.

8. Crew Wolf

Crew Wolf Active Member

Last time I was in Chicago, last weekend, the Harlem Irving Plaza of Chicago had a VF4 beta machine. Played it myself. It's at the corner of Harlem (7200W) and Irving Park (4000N), duh. I'm headed back this coming weekend, myself! Damn addictions...

Ultimately, we're all dead men, sadly we cannot choose how, BUT we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.

9. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

Well we have the test version here in chicago.
    you should let us know when you're coming so we get a small gathering going.
    email me
    efescareno@yahoo.com
    to let me know if you plan on coming over.
    its located at a mall called the HIP (harlem and Irving plaza better known). those are the intersecting streets as well.
    later,
    meet-stino

__-___---____

10. Happy_Friend

I think I will go there tomorrow. I will probably be there around 5 or 6. I am stoked.

11. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

Cool, how long can you stay??
    I plan on going there tomorrow evening as well about the same time.
    hope some others join us that may be coming.
    see you there.

fan-stino

__-___---____

12. Happy_Friend

I will probably stay till the place closes. Then I will drive down to see my friend in Bloomington. I may not be there till 6:30 or seven because I have some shit that I have to do involving my car.

13. Crew Wolf

Crew Wolf Active Member

Hey Pimpdad Lau, Madrox, did you guys head out to the HIP yesterday? Anything interesting? Is the game still there?! There's a broken arcade down here in Champaign, very bad. Just last week, their Marvel vs. Capcom 2 cabinet was *stolen.* This was a big cabinet too, big screen, 2 piece, whole nine yards. But hey, at least there wasn't gum in the NFL Blitz card slot... =P

Ultimately, we're all dead men, sadly we cannot choose how, BUT we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.

14. Happy_Friend

Yeah, I played last Wednesday. It ended up being a two and half hour drive, but that is ok. I am happy I finally got to see the game. There were two guys there who were both good and it was my first time playing vf4, so I didn't do too well, but it was fun. It is strange to play because it is very much like vf3, but different enough to cost you when you play it like Vf3 because you haven't had time to adjust. It was also just the beta version so there are some sort of fucked up aspects to it that have been changed in the others, I am sure. I also HATE the joystick and the button layout. The Japanese VF machines are so much better that is ridiculous. The stick on the Japanese machines is the same stick that is used on the green Dreamcast arcade stick and it puts the thumb on the guard button, index finger on punch, middle finger on block and ring finger on evade (though not in Vf4 obviously). Now, some people complain about the green dc stick saying that it is too hard to hit left or right properly without hitting diagonal. I think that this is because they are used to the other sticks in American arcades that really call for the player to move the stick waaaay to the right or left or wherever. The Japanese setup requires more precision, but the reward is better speed. I will take the quickness over the big, U.S. Fisher-Price sticks' ease of use anytime. As for the buttons, it really hurt my hand to play with my thumb and two fingers, but I was not going to play with three fingers and have my thumb doing nothing. I like my thumb and the extent to which I have been conditioned to block with my thumb and punch with my index finger all but precludes me from ever playing the other way. The arcade cabinet is certainly part of a Japanese conspiracy to ensure that Asians are always better at Vf than Americans, perhaps to make up for the spankings that we give them on the basketball court. Just kidding. Whoa, I have gone off on a little bitching session here! As far as the game goes, it was really cool to see it and finally get to play it, and the two dudes I met both seemed like really nice guys. It was fun. I can't wait for the PS2 version to come out.

15. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

As for the buttons, it really hurt my hand to play with my thumb and two fingers, but I was not going to play with three fingers and have my thumb doing nothing.

<hr></blockquote>

Totally agree. The US layout is shite. Yet another engineering marvel brought to you by the good folks at Sega of America.

16. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

The button layout is not that bad once you adjust to it. Every one in Omaha(where I am) uses there index finger to guard anyway so I was the only one who really had to adjust.

17. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

It reminds me the buttons in SVGL. Everytime I play for more than 1 hour, my fingers were hurt and my finger nails were damaged.

I wish we will have some VF4s in Megalo or Versus City cabinet in Bay Area.

18. Happy_Friend

If you play with the Japanese cabinet or a decent joystick, the buttons are underneath your your fingers right where you rest your hand. It is so simple and comfortable that I really do not understand why they would ever make it any different. If you are used to playing vf on a machine with the normal button layout, the cramping and awkwardness caused by the moronic layout of the bad machines becomes a second opponent. I mean yeah, I guess you could get used to it, after all I saw a guy on tv who was born with no arms and he can got used to it to the point that he could eat with his feet, but I don't think that his example is much of an argument for the benefits of armlessness in general.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The sad thing is that it's not just VF...I hate ALL U.S.-style arcade cabinets. Standing makes me cramped; for me at least, you have to position yourself slightly askew to make sure D is D (and not D/F), and I usually have to sort of squat-stand so that the height is just right; the buttons are far too apart; the spacing between button and stick is too tight or too far; the stick itself is circular based and hence inferior; etc. etc. etc. The thing is that the VF cabinets are the worst of them all.

20. Happy_Friend

Yes yes yes. It is a bitch. Especially for me- I am about 6'3" and it really sucks. My friend bitches about the square hole on the green dc stick and says he can't get a straight left or right very easily, but it really only takes patience and a little precision and some calmness in tense situations. I mean if you are in a bind and you start jerking the stick really hard and you input the wrong shit and accidently do a jumping backpunch, you have no one to blame but yourself. Sitting, when I played in Taiwan was much more comfortable, even when you take into account the fact that the cabinet and stool was about the right size for the typical Taiwanese player, who, no offense to the Taiwanese, is not usually a very large person. It still kicks ass on the typical U.S. version. But I think that U.S. arcade-goers are not the most discriminating lot. I mean many of the dudes in arcades here are fucking buffoons. Like when I was in Chicago I was playing Vf with some guys and we were a group of relatively easy-going and soft-spoken people and next to us is this stupid fuck yelling shit like, "Yeeeuuhhh mother fucka! Don't come at me wit dat weak-ass shit" or "Ahhh yeah! I be tappin it from da back!" Fucking dumb ass American kids, conducting the majority of their conversations entirely with TV or movie catch phrases. This is an extreme example, I know, but jesus, if the American gamer was on the average a smarter, more thoughtful animal maybe the arcade scene here would be much better and maybe it would be easier to find Vf players than Tekken players. And maybe if Americans were smarter we wouldn't have a president who got Cs in college and probably can't find America on a map. Oh no, that was a naghty political comment wasn't it? No need for anyone to repremand me for it; I will self-flagellate later!