1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a character....

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Isoulle, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

Despite playing this game for some time, I have had considerable trouble choosing a character to play. I was wondering what people would reccomend to a person who likes an agressive trap character with a strong throw/strike game?

Thank you and have a nice day!

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

kage!

seriously though, it's really difficult for him to "not suit your style", no matter what your style is :p

3. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Hmm Kage has strong striking game and throws. Maybe Jacky, Lau, or Sarah if you don't mind weaker throws. Not sure what you mean by "trap", but Aoi or Vanessa seems to fit that description.

4. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Sarah or Aoi are good trappers. Pick them if you want to be sneaky and annoying. If you want power go with Akira, Jeffry, Wolf, and Lau.

5. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

by trap do you mean nitaku? if so I would recommend Vanessa or Goh. If you can do all of his moves Akira is always good too. Also, whoever recommended Kage earlier was right on the money.

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    by trap do you mean nitaku? if so I would recommend Vanessa or Goh. If you can do all of his moves Akira is always good too. Also, whoever recommended Kage earlier was right on the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too mention Wolf or Jeffry - unless Shun suits your fancy. Or you could play Jacky or Sarah. Maybe Jin or Ken, oh no, nevermind, that's not quite right.

Taka.

7. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe Jin or Ken, oh no, nevermind, that's not quite right.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

how about, anyone but goh or vanessa? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Dandy_J

Why not Vanessa? One of the best characters in the game. So much frame adv BS it's not even funny.

10. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

It's not that vanessa sucks, I just can't seem to play her. I don't know if it's her mildly complicated movelist or what, but me and her don't click. I'm not denying that she can be played at a high level, but I can openly admit that she is - and always will be my weakest character.

On the other hand, I can play Goh, but I strongly believe that on every level he can not compare to the other characters. (Sucks for beginners, can't compete at the expert level)

11. Robio_kun

All right Vanity I'll admit Goh is a little bit underpowered but I still think he can be used effectively and has a very strong nitaku game. As I think that was what was being asked for that's why I suggested him. As for Vanessa, I don't think you can get a stronger nitaku game than in her offensive stance, never mind all the other options in defensive stance.

12. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

Hey, thanks for all the input so far, I hate asking these kind of questions, but this game really has me stumped......

The funny thing is, to be honest, I've played over 3000 rounds, and still no character. BUT! My two main characters have been Goh and then Vanessa, about 1700 with Goh and 700 with Vanessa. I really like them, but somthing about Vanessa rubs me the wrong way even though I enjoy her, and when I play with Goh, I feel like I'm fighting with one hand tied behind my back. It doesn't help my main competition is a Lei-Fei player.

Also, Nitaku, I believe is what I'm looking for......

PS: You know what else would be cool, as an idea, if someone did a guide, or a sticky thread, which did a basic general analysis of each character, strength and weaknesses and general strategies. You know, as help to new players (Assuming we get anymore of those these days.)

13. Dandy_J

If I were you, I'd stick with Vanessa. She will be really powerful in the long run, it'll just take awhile to learn her.

14. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Alright alright, I'm going to take up vanessa as my next character. Let's see how long it takes me to get used to her.

See, I'm really confused with Isoulle now, because he says he plays goh.

It is my opinion that once you play goh (or akira) then you can play anybody, since both characters rely on individual moves, rather than simple set strings. In other words, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a top lau player who has only played lau in their entire vf career.

So now, I'm clueless.

But yeah, dandy is probably right, you're likely best off playing vanessa in the long run. But if you haven't picked up akira yet, play him as well /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif. (Most important character to learn imo!)

15. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Playing Akira will benefit you when you pick up different characters, but you won't be able to play all just because your main is Akira or Goh. =P

Akira as a secondary character is a waste of time. If you really want to play Akira as a secondary, keep it real light or switch to him as your main character as Akira eats up ridiculousf time and patient.

16. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

Vanity-

I'm curious, why exactly do I confuse you?

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]

PS: You know what else would be cool, as an idea, if someone did a guide, or a sticky thread, which did a basic general analysis of each character, strength and weaknesses and general strategies. You know, as help to new players (Assuming we get anymore of those these days.)

[/ QUOTE ]

home > virtua fighter 4 > Character Selection Guide

18. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Vanity-

I'm curious, why exactly do I confuse you?

[/ QUOTE ] You confuse me because I thought you were a big noobie, meanwhile goh is probably one of the harder characters to learn. And, I usually figure that if you can learn him, most other characters will come easily, and you can decide on one with ease.

However, most people usually don't pick up goh for their first character. And I figure if they tried, they would probably quit vf :p

19. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

Myke-

Huh, I can't believe I missed that. Thanks... Though it does lack Goh/Brad....

Vanity-

I apologize for coming off as a newb, I really try to avoid it, but this game has just been a sore thumb in my gaming. I've NEVER had this problem in a fighting game before. It's rather unnerving. I feel kinda crappy for posting this newb topic, but hey, feedback is good.

But yeah, Goh, hard to play. He has made it easier to play varying characters. However I just don't feel comfortable with any character, it's rather... irritating.

20. Robio_kun

I actually don't find Goh that hard but then I have played Wolf and Aoi for years and Goh is not that big a step.

I was thinking perhaps your problem is not so much selecting a character but just learning to use what you have, and how to play against lei. Here are a few general tips against lei.

If your friend plays Lei, you are going to want to block a lot and you may not get that many chances to put him in a nitaku situation. Where you do have the advantage though is with Lei's long strings you are going to be able to anticipate the next move fairly often and take advantage of it... for example if you know the next move is going to be high, then you can do [3][K]+[G], [6][P]+[G] with Goh for a lot of damage or [2][K]+[G] with vanessa... Alternatively if you know (s)he is going to punch you, you can either just stand there with Vanessa (DS) or use Goh's [P]+[k]. Generally speaking if you are using Vanessa against Lei stick to defensive stance because you won't get much of a chance to go on the offensive. The other thing to remember is that Lei will often put himself at a small disadvantage and then use a sabaki to get out of it. don't let this stop you from attacking! learn what moves he can sabaki from what stance and then respond with a move that he can't. A shoulder ram is pretty safe, or perhaps a low kick.

Anyway, I hope I have been of some help.

Robin