1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

I don't know if anybody else splurged... but I got a frickin' new console, the 2 different evo sticks, the frickin' game, and the memory card. Call me crazy.

The Evo stick is pretty cool. Same as the old version, at least for the base shape, but this time, the start and select buttons are bigger, and recess into the stick so it is flush with the surface when not pushed. Same thing goes with the L3 and R3 buttons that are on the face of the stick. These are the "24" sized, meaning they are the size of the start buttons on the Jamma machines. But one big difference. They button recess below the button's exterior jacket. Try pushing a joystick button down and hold it there. That is the position the L3/R3 buttons are in without pushing on em, downgrading the chance you accidentally push on em. Also, your hand is naturally in a convex shape, or "cupped" shape when you are playing, so these are not even touched when I mimiced playing. For me at least, I've never seen anybody but 5 year old kids playing flat palmed pushing the buttons (kids at arcades are hilarious.)

One other observation- the stick's shaft is skinnier. If you have a sanwa VF4 stick, the diameter of the shaft is roughly the size of the VF4 sanwa stick without it's black jacket. Other than having your fingers closer together for people who "cup" the ball with palms faced upward.. it's no biggy, but it looks "anorexic."

Same old buttons as the previous VF4 stick. For those who don't know, they are more rounded on the edges than the Sanwa buttons, and protrudes a bit higher than the sanwa buttons. This again, is no biggy...just details.

For those that want a joystick, this is your chance to pick up a great stick.

... god, I havn't even opened the game yet, let alone the PS2... gotta get crackin'.

BTW, if you plan on using an import store to get your stuff, do what Almaci and Zeo says- use http://www.videogamedepot.com . Orders over $150 gets free UPS Ground (within 5 days). Additionally, their prices are amazing, consolewise at least- import PS2: $250. What puts it over the top is that you can chat with staff online in real time. They are on at store hours, more times than not. So any questions or concerns can be addressed immediately. If you do email them, a next day response is there. I put them through their paces.

I've been a devout user of http://www.ncsx.com SINCE 1996! Little nitpicks here and there... and now they've slipped in the pecking order:

1) videogamedepot.com
    2) ncsx.com
    3) Tronix.com

Used them all... all provide excellent service.

If you are planning on getting the stick, also try
    www.play-asia.com
    Their prices on lots of older import (JP and EU) are spectacular. Under $10 for lots of em... new; so you can have some cheap games sent along with it. BTW, the shipping is expensive. Havn't tried them though, so let everyone know how it goes if you try em.

2. Killbomb

Killbomb Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

I've gone with Tronix almost exclusively over the years but they've recently gotten lax about their import pre-orders. Usually they won't let you order an import game until it's actually in stock which can be a pain. Other than that their shipping costs are MUCH more reasonable than VGD or NCS for the single game buyer and service is excellent. You can't beat 2 day priority mail for $3.95. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Jacky_San

Jacky_San Well-Known Member

Catch you are hardcore, I've thought about doing that. I want to find a Japanese PS2 console cheap. I'm definitely getting the stick and the hori memory card.

Still that's really bitchin that you could splurge on all that stuff. As for videogamedepot they are cool, I managed to get a Super Puzzle fighter off them new. I'm getting it monday. I just have issues with their shipping. They only ship to the confirmed address of your credit card. Which sucks because I'm at work all day.

Other than that its all good. Catch you are my hero.

4. kriskazuma

kriskazuma New Member

Edited for stupidity elimination.

5. MechaShiva

MechaShiva Well-Known Member

Get a life, honestly, if you have something to say on the board make it useful, or just go on to your legalize hemp website, so we don't have to read your uninteligent shit day in day out thx.

6. Catch22

[ QUOTE ]
    kriskazuma said:

You are a complete fanboy idiot for buying that peice of crap joystick. All those mass produced jap sticks are crap just like the american ones. It sickens me to think of all the young shit shovers like yourself pissing away money on import crap, when their is starving kids in somalia with big, alien heads and empty stomachs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got one thing right, I am a FANBOY IDIOT. I'm a SEGA FANBOY IDIOT, who is willing to support all things Sega to ensure I get more of what I currently, and previously enjoyed. It is in my interest, to see the survival of this cutting-edge company that is one of the few to still make unconventional games. Lately, they have been forced to apply the "make what sells" strategy, and by funding them, they can still be able to make what does not sell well among the casual gamers- which is what I want. Mostly though, I want Shenmue 3 & all things AM2 & all things Yu Suzuki.

As far as buying the joysticks, they're the best money can buy for VF4 IMO. I would build my own stick... but... /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif it seems like it takes too much time. I'll see if I have the ability to make my own, so I don't have to be relagated to buying the best, but still crappy Hori sticks. Besides, I bought them just because I like to collect VF stuff... so excuse my ignorance.

If my post seems like gloating, it is. Sorry. But really, it's meant to be self loathing. It's crazy for someone to do what I did,... I know. But hating is bad, real bad. Transfer that agressiveness and lost enery to something more positive. Channelling that type of energy is unefficient.

You got one other thing wrong too. I like shit, or to shit, but I'm not young. I'm old, dog. Ya feeling me, dog? Aight?

7. kriskazuma

kriskazuma New Member

You dont know what you are talking about when you say thats the best money can buy. That whori stick has a crappy knob style pac man joystick on it. Good luck pulling of the spod off on it. Those mass produced joysticks are made with dirt cheap components that would never see the light of day in a real arcade.

If you want something better here ya go

http://www.xgaming.com

8. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Those Xarcade sticks are nice. Gotta love those US sticks. /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Umm... The VF4Evo Hori sticks have a ball stick on it just like the japanese sticks used in the arcades..... They are not bad sticks at all, only a little fragile.. They are really really nice sticks for how little you pay for them. They're only second to actual Sanwa sticks.

p.s. Criticizing Catch22 on joystick knowledge is just hilarious, he's the joystick expert here on VFDC. Just check out the stuff he's made. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

The X-Arcade sticks are built extremely well, but in terms of functionality they're of no use to me. The joystick is "round bottomed," meaning the base of the stick is a circular shape, as opposed to the "square bottomed" shape that is used in asia, which I prefer. The buttons also are not placed in an arc, but rather are straight across. It's an American style arcade stick, and if you like that, good for you. But I've been playing on Asian style sticks for years (square bottom, round top short shaft stick, buttons in an arc), and for me it gets the job done better. I've been told that you can order Asian style X-Arcade sticks, but I've never found anything on the site suggesting this.

I have found that 3d games benefit from the square bottomed sticks perhaps more than 2d games, as 3d games tend to rely on the [7][9][1][3] directions more so than 2d games. If you're buying an arcade stick for a 3d game, I would recommend a square bottomed stick.

11. Catch22

[ QUOTE ]
    kriskazuma said:

You dont know what you are talking about when you say thats the best money can buy. That whori stick has a crappy knob style pac man joystick on it. Good luck pulling of the spod off on it. Those mass produced joysticks are made with dirt cheap components that would never see the light of day in a real arcade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being sarcastic? Are you teasing me? Are you baiting me?...

I don't know if you're just f'n with me, but dude... really, click the "joystick builder" link that's included with my signature. I was being sarcastic... wink, wink. Get it?

I have Happ parts, that are used on the X-Arcade, but I have yet to implement them. Honestly, they are good for Street Fighter games, and most 2d games that require circular motions. Do I want that for VF? No. You may, but not me. You know what, I can build a stick that will be shaped for what I see fit with Happ parts. The X-Arcade is huge and bulky. I have already seen it, and in fact, it's readily available at Fry's Electronics.

But to dis the round stick, and claim it's just for PacMan- that's funny dude.

But going on to the big problem you have with "whori," yes, I realize they are consumer graded parts, and not aimed to take the abuse to the extent of arcade parts. I already mentioned that I like to collect VF stuff, and they were bought solely to be put behind glass doors.

I actually have an arcade grade joystick, if quality of parts is what got your underwear twisted. Lemme see, oh, here's one I made for a friend:
    [​IMG]
    Again, if you are wondering, made with arcade quality Sanwa parts found in arcades. Japanese arcades, if you were wondering.

BTW, did you click on the Joystick Builder link yet?

Honestly though, in the end, I recommend the Hori sticks for those looking to buy a retail, round stick- which some VFers prefer. If you like to play with a bat shaped stick, then fine. It's all a matter of taste.

It seems your problem is with the stick shape, other than Hori.

12. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

lol, dont waste time with that dude, i think he just wants a rise out of someone, for fun.

13. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Considering all the best JP players use these sticks exclusively, I'd say you're talking out of your ass. Try living and playing here for a while and you'll see how superior they are.

Those X sticks blow, I might add. I remember trying them at E3.

[ QUOTE ]
    kriskazuma said:

http://www.xgaming.com

[/ QUOTE ]

14. kriskazuma

kriskazuma New Member

Why does everybody here have a hard on for jap players??? I could wipe the floor with 90% of them any day of the week. Why do you guys worship all things japanese? The level of competition im at is beyond most of you in here. Im not speaking of anyone in perticuler but lets just say ive played all 4 vf games extensively and will kick anyones ass that is not on my level with: Jacky, Lau, Akira , and Wolf... Yes im an expert with 4 characters....when I say expert i mean i know the ins and outs of them. Im not japanese. Yes im sure there are some great jap players out there but on the whole they are no better than american players.

On to your second question i have played square bottmed knobbed sticks on 3d games in the arcade(tekken 4) in perticular. And I think they are crappy. They feel way to loose , and unless you have girls hands you have to hold them with like 3 fingers. You can make faster transitions from say back to forward doing a half circle much faster on circular bottomed ones.

To the idiot who said diagonal motions are more important in 3d games.....you are a fruit loop dude. diagonal motions are all anybody uses in games like street fighter ; with its QC HC motions and diagonal jump forwards and backwards. For the majority of the special moves in VF4 no diagonal imput is required, plus you can block from a straight down crouch or by holding back, you dont need to hold "down-back".

Now that you guys are done trying to sound all knowing and condecending, you can read this post in silence knowing that you have been put in your place .

15. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Why does everybody here have a hard on for jap players??? I could wipe the floor with 90% of them any day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry, couldn't resist.

If you would like to proove yourself, I suggest you save money and go to Japan and play them yourself. There is a good chance you will get your ass kicked with style, and more importantly, with modesty . Have fun.

16. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Indeed. Having seen the best both countries have to offer, I can honestly say the West is not even close to Japan or even Korea. I'm sure the Florida crew can tell you this as well, having gone to that big multinational gathering.

For example, I'd love to see a Western player go against my buddy Heruru's Lei Fei... he MOCKS you with his playstyle. I cannot play against him for extended periods of time because he just READS me after a while. I can hold good games against most mid/high dans here but him... he is just too much. (This all goes doubly when FV2 is the game involved.) VF culture in the west would never, ever be capable of developing a style or ability like his.

17. Junosynth

Junosynth Well-Known Member

Well I’m not even going to waste my time with kriskazuma’s statement. And Zero-Chan I agree that the West in general is not even close to the Japanese standards. But how do you know you have seen the best the U.S has to offer? Have you seen or played every American player? To make this assumption is just as ignorant as kriskazuma's.

18. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The level of competition im at is beyond most of you in here. Im not speaking of anyone in perticuler but lets just say ive played all 4 vf games extensively and will kick anyones ass that is not on my level with: Jacky, Lau, Akira , and Wolf... Yes im an expert with 4 characters....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever considered putting your game where your mouth is? There are tournaments to go to, people to beat with your expert skills. I know you already know this, but words mean shite. Tangible evidence of your VF prowess will be the only way for you to make such claims. So, you've made the claim, it's only right to prove it. TiT, MoAT, wherever - show up and compete like the rest of those seeking recognition in their play.

cheers,

19. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Since you're in Alabama, it's not too far to drive over here to where I am. If you're interested, come and test your ability that you claim. Drop me a PM and I'll be glad to host you for a day or two.

Oh, and btw Zero-Chan,
    [ QUOTE ]
    I cannot play against him for extended periods of time because he just READS me after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but that is a hallmark of all good fighting game players. What's even better is being able to read within one match. Try doing that against heruru sometimes, you've obviously seen some sort of pattern he likes to do from all the times that you've played him.
    /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

You're a funny little man! I'm sure most of my crew could give you a good go for your money, and we're nothing but four guys from the cananadien east cost. Christ we don't even have a playable arcade! I'd love to see what the "big town" folks could do against you!

Winning glorofies - Losing teaches,
    Cuz