1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Does anyone here use more than three buttons when playing, 'cause i sure don't.

2. coNsPirAcy

coNsPirAcy Well-Known Member

People use more than 3 buttons for VF4? Thats new to me...

3. Maximus

I played this one guy at my house(he brought his own stick) and he used more than three buttons to play. He also programed buttons for p+k, p+g, k+g, and p+k+g. I don't know how he could play like that. He still whooped my a$$ though doing that. I felt so dirty after that. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. rejj

rejj Active Member

Well, the ps2 gamepad mappings by default map the shoulder buttons to [P]+[G], [P]+[K]+[G], [P]+[K], [K]+[G] ... he probably just got used to playing using those.

What I want to know is when using a gamepad, do people tend to press on the inside or the outside of the dpad? I usually use the outside of the dpad buttons, but I'm starting to think that the inside might be easier...

5. Maximus

I noticed that the guy did both, but mostly inside. Like you said, he probably got used to the presets. For me though it's a different story, once I used the three button system, I just got hooked on it and now I love it.

6. coNsPirAcy

If anyones interested in modding a Hori stick or Sanwa parts, IM me or email me at mode879@yahoo.com

7. coNsPirAcy

Here are pics of sticks i will be modding for customers and myself. Im waiting for parts, so as of right now, theyre all unmodded.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mode879/my_photos

Also, i have a custom built Sanwa stick i did in there. Its only one but i have done alot. Ill upload pics when i get the chance to.

8. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

My Stick

Okay, I've spent some quality time with my stick now. It is awesome. The buttons, the stick, everything. To think that I almost threw that Akira Hori stick away. Now I must pray that VF5 doesn't add an evade button.

Big Thanks to CoNsPirAcy. If anyone needs their stick modded, he's the man.

SgtRamrod over and out.

9. Radames

Radames Member

Choosing a Stick

Ok, to avoid reading 25 pages of this thread, what is considered the best factory-made stick to use with VF4:EVO, and how can I get my greedy little hands on it?

10. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Choosing a Stick

Hey man,

Welcome to the board. This is a cool place.

We have really topical and informative threads stickied - easily found. Nice you didn't have to use the search to find it. That's a lot of work you didn't have to do.

It is a pain to read twenty five pages. Here's something that may help. Since the first page is old, I recommend you start reading the pages in reverse - that way you get the latest and greatest without having to read the whole thing. Works for a lot of big threads.

Besides, best stick is an opinion. You need to research and decide for yourself. I could be really mean and just tell you to buy Pelican products.

11. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Re: Choosing a Stick

Since no one answered my question on the other thread I will ask again here and this time I will be more specific.

On a real VF arcade machine, in what order are the buttons arranged? (from left to right) [P] [K] [G] or is it [G] [P] [K] or is it something different.

I don't want to get accustomed to a certain arrangement and then get somewhere and discover that I can not play because I am used to the buttons being in a different order.

12. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

[G][P][K]

in fact, if you reply to this post and look off to the left you can see the basic arrangement of the buttons under the "instant commands" section!

GE

13. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD

Thanks for answering my question. I was about to embark on the long journey of learning to use a joystick with the buttons in order of [P][K][G].

When I look under the "instant commands" section, the buttons are arranged in the order of, [K][P][G] and they are all underneath one another.

14. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

I meant to answer your question in the other thread but I've been busy.

The typical setup is [G] [P] [K]. Guard being the one to the left and the kick button to the right. How the actual buttons are set on the stick varies between stick setups.

Japanese Arcade VF setups only have 3 buttons and are setup like this.

** ...... [P] [K]
    ** ... [G]

The stars indicate the stick. The buttons are layed out ergonomically. The guard button is set lower than the rest for use of your thumb. You need a mobile and responsive digit for the guard button. The thumb is your most responsive finger followed by the index finger. Most Japanese use their thumb for guard. I personally play mostly with my index finger on guard with VFdue to playing 10+ years of other games on a stick and not using my thumb at all because of the button setup.

Outside of Japan button, setups are like this.

** .... [G] [P] [K]

The buttons are layed out horizontally. Sometimes with some slant for ergonomic reasons to fit your fingers. The buttons are designed for use of your three middle fingers.

Most console sticks will have 6 or 8 buttons that look like this.

** ... 1 2 3 4
    ** ... 5 6 7 8

Setting up the buttons is to your discretion. On my console stick I setup VF like this.

** ... [G] [P] [K] 4
    ** ... [G] [P] [K] 8

I tend to use 5, 6, 7 buttons but if I want to use my thumb I'll use 5, 2, 3. I'm slowly weaning myself away from using my index and more with my thumb.

Good luck and practice hard. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD

Thanks, for the clarification. I think I will go with the

1[P][K]4
    [G]678

I am having a hard enough time as it is getting my directional inputs to come after my button inputs as it is. Trying to get my ring finger to press down while holding my middle finger up is extremely hard. The buttons are so sensitive I kept putting in inadvertant commands with my middle finger. This way I don't have to use my ring or pinkie finger at all.

I will continue practice hard, even though it is frustrating losing matches because I am unable to do moves I know I can do. Nevertheless, I will continue to use the stick and be patient simply because ALL of the old-heads here say that a stick is better and I guess I trust their knowledge.

Another question: I have heard everyone say that joysticks are better, but no one has ever said why joysticks are better. Do they make you more precise? or maybe quicker? Are they less stressful on the hands? or something else? Exactly what advantages to they have over the pad.

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Choosing a Stick

I think stick use is good for a couple reasons...

1) If you ever play at an arcade, it's good to be familiar with how to play VF with a stick.

2) I think [K]+[G](release [G] in 1 frame) -> [6_][P] -> [3][3][P] -> [3][3][4][6][P] and [P]+[K]+[G] -> [4][3][P]+[G] -> [6][P] and [3][K]+[G] -> [6][P] -> [4][6][6][P]+[K] are harder to do on a pad than on a stick.

17. byczy

byczy Well-Known Member

Hi I'm new on the site, I play VF for a year(quite short), and till now I've been playing on pad, horrible but I've managed to do those things: http://www.zmichowska.pl/www/jdb104/byczy/byczy2.WMV today i bought this Namco Stick, I saw few pictures of it on the forum, but i didn't notice anyone said it is good/great/poor. And I also await for Hori Fighting Stick 2 from link sang. Could you tell me which one is better,before i decide it myselve(Namco should be in 2 days, for Hori I'v been awaiting a month now)??I hope you'll understand what i wrote(i'm from Poland- english isn't national language, my tu w polsce mówimy po polsku, jakby ktos nie wiedzial :p

18. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD

I don't play Akira. What are the advantages for the other characters?

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Nice combo vid. Good pad skills.

After wall hit, I like to use knee as it recovers faster than bodycheck. Maybe bodycheck does more damage though.

I've heard Namco sticks last a long time. I've used them. They work fine for me. I bought Hori VF Evo sticks - they work well, too - except that buttons die. I've modded both my sticks with Sanwa buttons. Looks like the PCB can't handle soldering very well, though. I'll be changing the PCB in an Evo stick for someone shortly.

Mcoleman2: I think any modified move is easier to pull off with a stick. I thnk it's easier to struggle out of stagger with stick as well.

I see nothing wrong with the pad other than pads don't work at arcades. We have plenty of good pad players on VFDC. I prefer stick.

20. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't play Akira. What are the advantages for the other characters?

[/ QUOTE ]

too many to count ...............