1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Radames

Radames Member

Re: Choosing a Stick

[ QUOTE ]
    I think stick use is good for a couple reasons...

1) If you ever play at an arcade, it's good to be familiar with how to play VF with a stick.

2) I think [K]+[G](release [G] in 1 frame) -> [6_][P] -> [3][3][P] -> [3][3][4][6][P] and [P]+[K]+[G] -> [4][3][P]+[G] -> [6][P] and [3][K]+[G] -> [6][P] -> [4][6][6][P]+[K] are harder to do on a pad than on a stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine simple things like evading and dashing aren't easier on a stick too.

I'll find out in 2-4 days though =)

2. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Knee's damage is consistant and reliable. Bodycheck damage potential is higher but yeah...if they recover instantly it can hurt...bodycheck is cooler though, right? /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One thing I was wondering about...in FT akira's [K]+[G][P] the [P] charges IIRC. Is choosing [K]+[G] (charge)[P] an option where you can catch someone after they choose QR/TR or if they choose to stay down? Just curious & totally off-topic.

3. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

Actually, I remember seeing a vid a while back where an Akira pulled the [K]+[G] fully charged [P] maneuver in the usual OTB situation. I think it might've been Ohsu, not sure.

It did work, though.

Edit: It worked on a TR, I dunno if you could hold the charge and release early if you saw that they weren't doing exact recovery. Still, it works well enough if you anticipate a TR/QR after the [K]+[G].

4. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

2) I think [K]+[G](release [G] in 1 frame) -> [6_][P] -> [3][3][P] -> [3][3][4][6][P] and [P]+[K]+[G] -> [4][3][P]+[G] -> [6][P] and [3][K]+[G] -> [6][P] -> [4][6][6][P]+[K] are harder to do on a pad than on a stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play Akira and for some reason I find it easier to pull off DLC and SPoD with a pad. I mean I can still do them on stick, but mainly DLC is just easier for me to do on pad. The only move that I really have hard time doing on pad is the knee. Using stick is deffinetly easier to do with. Also doing the combo yoho, p, shoulder, dblplm is also difficult to pull off that last dblplm on pad, but I've gotten consistently better at it. IMO using pad is mainly useful for characters like Jacky and other masher types while the stick is obviously better for the likes of Akira and Kage.

5. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Man, is RAP suppose to be this big, because I just bought Tekken 5 LE, and it came with it. The thing is huge, compared to the Hori SC2 stick.

6. byczy

byczy Well-Known Member

I say : stick is great, i mean Namco ps1 stick- it 's so easy to make a combo ender-mDbPm, also SPoD is easier, then on pad, but DLC is rather hard to make, I shall practice more this one(and evades and dashes, all stage moveing:) .Anyway I'm proud of myself I bought this stick for $30 muhaha

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, is RAP suppose to be this big...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

8. laidlocks

laidlocks Active Member

Im new to VF and sticks having never played in an arcade (don't exsist where I live). But I am interesting what some of you more experienced players think about the stick I purchased for VF. I am using the SF 15th Anniversary Stick released sometime earlier this year. Of course it was near impossible for me to use it. I mean the stick is large and clunky and far different from the ps2 pad. Now its 2nd nature and I enjoy it. But then again it's all new to me (ignorance is bliss). From some reviews I read alot of people don't recommend it. I don't want to recommend it to my friends if the rest of you think it's trash. What do you think?

9. Aoimaster

Hey post some pics of the stick, I would like to see how big it is compared to the RAP. That stick has happ parts in it right?

10. tuelpo

tuelpo New Member

The SF stick should work ok for you. The biggest concern w/ it for VF4 is the octagonal gate. It's nice having the square for all the df's and db's but I played for months on my happ custom before I got my Sanwa and had no real complaints. I still prefer the height and spring tension of the happ.

If you and your friends play any 2d fighters as well, feel free to recommend it. But if all you play is 3d games, you might want to seriously look at a JAP style stick.

11. laidlocks

laidlocks Active Member

12. Aoimaster

Thats pretty big. I feel like I got ripped off with the tekken 5 stick. The buttons are all soldered on and the parts are not sanwa! WTF, stay away from the stick, its just a regular hori stick.

13. StandStill

StandStill Member

I'm planning to buy Hori's joysticks. But, it seems, there will be a bit delays till the bargain.

14. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

15. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

why phoenix, you are correct, heavily modified indeed. I don't have digital cam or I would show the masses the hotness, but just so it's known, the stock stick is the hotness, just the buttons felt iffy to me, I sanwa-afied them and now it's ALL good.

16. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy

[ QUOTE ]
    why phoenix, you are correct, heavily modified indeed. I don't have digital cam or I would show the masses the hotness, but just so it's known, the stock stick is the hotness, just the buttons felt iffy to me, I sanwa-afied them and now it's ALL good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, it's the exact opposite for me. The buttons are passable but the amount of dead space in the stick play really messes me up sometimes. I'm gonna see about getting some custom wooden brackets made that match the dimensions of the little white plastic one at the bottom of the stick, but make the donuthole a tad bit smaller, like 1/16 of an inch or so around the edges.

The buttons look pretty easy to mod. The wires clip right onto them, rather than having the buttons soldered to a chipboard. Hopefully those clips pop right onto Sanwa buttons too.

Then you've still got plenty of space; if it isn't heavy enough for you there's room to pour concrete or whatever.

17. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Hey purpguy,do you like the square stick motion or would you rather have a circular motion, with no sharp corners?

18. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy

Given that the corners need to extend far enough to allow both the horizontal and vertical contacts to trigger simultaneously, I'd be more inclined to stick with the squarish corners.

I kinda like squarish corners on it anyway since it's easy to feel if you're hitting them correctly. With a round hole I'd probably miss the corners all the time. /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've got a disposable camera from last year's Easter that still needs developed as it has a few exposures remaining. I'll see about taking a few pics of the interior of a Virtua Stick and scanning them in later.

19. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy

This picture was a little blurry, but I guess that's what you can expect from a year-old disposable camera that's been sitting in the car for the past four months.

http://www.geocities.com/purpguy/vstick.jpg

You can't see much detail, but at least you get an idea of how simple the layout is. There is a lot of empty space; it's much simpler than I expected it to be. I was afraid to even open it until Painty_J showed me how little there is to them.

The wires have little metal clips that slide right onto the button prong thingies. If those clips fit Sanwa button prong thingies, changing the buttons should be a piece of cake.

20. coNsPirAcy

coNsPirAcy Well-Known Member

FROM MY POST @ SRK - This is a custom stick i built in about a week for customer and a friend of mine in Austin. This particular custom she wanted a lightly textured paint finish so i used a paint roller, her custom artwork, and a compact design. (This design is 1 1/2 inches in width and 2 inches in length smaller that the original size. The pictures look shitty but ill upload some much better ones tomorrow when i have actual sunlight.

And just to note, although it seems the Select & Start seem close to the stick, they really arent. I have big hands and the buttons dont even come close to my hands. But then again, thats where she wanted them positioned. =P

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mode879/al...253as,1%253af,0