1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. coNsPirAcy

coNsPirAcy Well-Known Member

Wow. Its been awhile since ive been here. Well, i got an email from some people here to show my mods/customs since they couldnt find the link i provided.

Here it is again - http://photos.yahoo.com/mode879

Here are the stand-outs i built -
    My friend Shawns stick ~~~> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mode879/album?.dir=ed50&.src=ph
    Black Sanwa stick with Black Seimitsu buttons

XCTUs custom ~~~> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mode879/al...de879/my_photos
    Red Sanwa stick with Dark Blue and Red Sanwa buttons

My own custom ~~~> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mode879/al...de879/my_photos
    It has a yellow Sanwa stick but it doesnt have Sanwa buttons yet, but once they come in, ill take pics of it when its fully complete. The button color scheme will be a color fade from yellow to red. Orange balltop as well.

I like the antique look, so i left the finishing nails showing and after i stained the oak i went over the wood with 400 grit sandpaper to give it a 'worn-in' look. I wanted to make it seem like its already seen some wear & tear and the look came out great. I then gave it 3 coats of glossy polyurethane. I have more in the works.

Heres something not pictured in that gallery, an old school Saturn Hori i restored. When i first got it, the metal panel was rusting up and had scratches on the ABS case. So i sanded down the metal till it was rust free, then primed it with rust-free primer, then painted the case. Here it is ~~~> http://www.blackcracker.net/robert/

Its modded with a Purple Seimitsu stick, Sanwa buttons, and is rewired for PS1 and PS2. I have done alot of customs and mods for Horis that i havent posted, by eh, im too lazy.

Email - mode879@yahoo.com

2. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    [ QUOTE ]
    Enryb said:

I just got the game so i don't need anything too high-end, just something that will let me play better than the d-pad. I'm trying to be as conservative as possible with my money since i'm saving up for a new PC, so i figure if it's not really necessary i might as well save myself 30 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend and I just had a discussion about this very subject. You should really try and get the best piece of hardware you can afford if you are planning on playing the game at any level other than "casual". Using shoddy equipment can very much hamper your ability to pull off complicated combinations and button commands. You also want a piece of hardware than can last and be easy to repair. Take my advice. Either invest in a custom stick, or get yourself a pair of RAPs. Your PS2 and your game will love you for it.

3. akira_lee

akira_lee Active Member

wow..after reading about 20+ pages, i give up.
    i play mostly vf4 most of the time, and i'm looking for a good set of joystick (preferebly closest to sanwa or sanwa itself if possible). i'm looking for something quiet on the stick itself, and soft buttons, also most likely i can play vf5 in the future.
    would hori stick be suitable?
    which one is better? hori evo or just the vf4?
    thanks

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Most people say that the VF4 Hori was built better. I've heard stories of the Evo stick breaking down fast.

I wouldn't wait to get a stick for VF5, that won't be coming for home for quite sometime and it might not be compatible with the next-gen systems.

5. akira_lee

akira_lee Active Member

conspiracy, do you do sanwa sticks and button? if you do, how much do you charge for them?

shag, do you know where to get those vf4 hori?
    is it possible to get catch22 stick anymore these days?

6. sebiel

sebiel New Member

I had been thinking about picking up the Pelican Universal stick-- thank God I figured to check out vfdc first, yeah?

The reason I wanted that one was because I am also a DoA player (not 4 yet, since the 360 is out of my budget atm), so I figured that my best bet would be to pick up something that I can play DoA, SCII/III, and VF4 with.

My current plan, I think, is to get one of those PS2 sticks and use it with this:

http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_xbox_2.html (the ps2 controller -> xbox adapter)
    http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_xbox/xbconverter.jpg

or this one
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7F...ce&n=468642

This will work, right?

One last thing-- does anyone that owns the X-Arcade dual joystick have a problem that the whole unit is too narrow; like, you have to sit uncomfortably shoulder-to-shoulder with your opponent?

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

8. pinking

pinking Well-Known Member

Just a quick note, I'm selling my VF4 EVO HORI STICKs on EBAY if anyone wants them!!

Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-PS2-VIRTUA-FIGHT...1QQcmdZViewItem

PS. Sorry if i've posted them in the wrong area. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Thanks alot! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

page not responding ._.'''
    is normal? o_O

10. Konicki

Konicki New Member

ok, so i just bought a Street Fighter 15th anniversary arcade stick and i was wondering how it would fare in VF4. Do you think I should get a better stick solely for VF, or should this be good for casual but still serious play?

11. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    The button layout is off, and accurate diagonals are likely to be a problem. But if you're mostly into 6-button fighters, sure, play on that stick.

You dont have a VF4 layout alternative in that price range - evo sticks or the old saturn virtua stick pros are hard to find. The HRAP2 would probably be your best bet if you want to do VF and 6-button, but thats at least $100.

12. Question I just got a Teken 5 arcade stick and I was wondering what would be a good button configuration for it, because right now I can't get a good one. Also I'm having trouble doing circular throws, can anyone help. (PM would work too)

13. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Dunno what the default tekken stick buttons are, but this is the layout you want:

P K x x
    G x x x

where x = unused and G P K have the obvious meanings. Thumb on G, index on P, middle on K.

As for circulars, are you hitting the corners of the restrictor plate? You dont need to - just whirl the stick in a tight smooth circle.

14. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Careful... the NYCers will lynch you. j/k NYC style of play (I say NYC because this is where I see this style predominately) usually incorporates the index, middle, and ring fingers - fucking losers, yes I know. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. Weird seems kind of odd to me, but i asked for a recommendation so ... thanks.

16. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    You know, I would figure that index, mid, ring would be a holdover from trying to play on a pad. I'd also think it'd be hard as hell to, say, scrape out akira's knee that way. Index fingers dont really move sideways very easily.

But apparently some people, even jpn akira players, manage just fine that way. Diff strokes I guess.

17. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is different strokes. I should point out however, that using index isn't only cosmetic. It takes getting used to (some may find that their hand will cramp) but it does allow for faster input on throw escapes, and struggling for some since the fingers move in tandum/interchangably easier than with your thumb.

I use index style sparingly because it does have its benefits.

18. Konicki

Konicki New Member

hmmm... what do you guys think about the Hori DoA stick?

It seems to have a much nicer feel for VF4 then the SF stick did (although the SF stick rokks in alpha collection) but the postioning of the stick down below the buttons seems weird. any thoughts?

also would it be considered bad etiquette to use a ps2 controller in a tournament?

19. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    jerky - I'll have to try that out for throw escapes, see how I like it. Although I tend to throw escape by bouncing at my wrist, not my fingers. For struggling, I dont see how I could alternate my middle and ring faster than my index and middle though.

konicki- if you already have an xbox->ps2 converter, that doa stick may be a good option. Otherwise its not worth the trouble. The spacing between the joystick and the buttons is maybe a little further and lower than normal, but not by much - see e.g.
    http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/controller/realarc_pro_s_fix/index.html
    As for tournaments, if you actually find a vf4 tournament in the states these days, i'm sure they'll be so overjoyed to have 4 players instead of 3 that they'll let you use a pad (long as you dont have anything other than P, K, G mapped)

20. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I have a Tekken 5 stick and I setup my buttons like this.

G P K X
    G P K X

As Jerky noted, being from NYC; I almost exclusively use my fingers. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think it comes from many years playing on arcade machines where the butons were placed straight horizontally. My standard is to use the bottom row of buttons. On seldom occassion, I'll practice using my thumb and placing it on the lower guard button and use the top buttons for attacks.

I wish I had pointers for the circular throws. I have problems with it as well. I know my success rate at times can be under 85% which frustrates me. /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif All I can say is try not to move the stick too fast and make sure you hit all the corners. /versus/images/graemlins/indifferent.gif