1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

My Namco stick has pipped the T4 stick as my fave joystick for evo. Sigh, really wanted one of Catch22's but couldn't find anyone who's planning to come back to Singapore anytime soon.

2. Guts

Guts Member

I have chance to buy a used VF4 PS2 stick for $38. Do you guys think it's worth it? I'd be using it solely for VF4 Evolution. Would it be fine for that? I assume so, even though it's the original VF4 stick and not the EVO one.

3. MechaShiva

MechaShiva Well-Known Member

yep, should work out just fine!! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Guts

Guts Member

Thanks for the reassurance. I had someone tell me this-

"In order to play VF Evo, you will need use of the R3 and L3 buttons, which only the Evo stick offers, out of all of the joysticks available today, the Evo is the only one with R3 and L3.:"

So, I was puzzeled. I'll get it if it's sure to work with EVO, I need a stick! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

I know this has been mentioned before, but the L3 and R3 buttons are only ever used during the character edit mode - it allows you to move the camera up and down. Big woop! Sega could have just as easily used up and down on the joystick for that while holding down one of the "normal" buttons.

So yeah, don't sweat it, any joystick will work just fine with Evo.

6. Guts

Guts Member

Mucho Gracias.

7. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Heck the arcades here only have G, P, K.

8. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Here's some new stuff I just got from Sanwa. Microswitched buttons... unlike the "not" clicky buttons that come with the VF4 set, and the octagon shaped bottom guide that you can use to replace the 'stock' square shaped one. This makes circular motions easier to perform since you don't have extreme corners, and you can still feel the "notch" on diagonals, but now there's notches for all 8 directions.

[​IMG]

9. Guts

Guts Member

Woohoo, I love this stick. I've used a lot of sticks before (Neo Geo, MAS, X-Arcade), but I really like this little sucker.

Gohs throws are much easier on my thumbs now.

10. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG

Hey all. Just got a Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick (needed the extra buttons /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) from play-asia.com. It was my first time using play-asia and they were cheap, and I got my stick four days after they shipped it - great for a first order. As for the stick itself I can say that it's everything I expected a Hori arcade stick to be. I can now tell the difference between a Hori and the cheap arcade stick I used before.

The construction is so solid I think I could knock someone out with it. The base is a rigid metal, and the plastic that makes up the rest of the stick is just as strong. There is no give at any point in this design, and the stick and buttons seem to be the same (although only time will tell). Add to this the fairly heavy weight of the stick and it's rock-solid.

The stick itself is very accurate - roll the stick and the diagonals are in all the right places. The stick is nice and loose, with just enough resistance to let it settle back into neutral. The buttons perform exactly as they should also - just right in my opinion.

Like other Hori sticks (so I've been told) this stick does make clicking noises constantly - if you are anally retentive about this sort of thing then you should probably try before you buy but it isn't noticable. I would usually put it as a criticism but it's a faint noise so it's not annoying and it doesn't affect the stick at all - it will still roll smoothly and evenly.

As far as criticism of the stick goes the only thing that comes to mind is that the cord from the stick to the controller port is a bit short, but that will only be a problem in certain circumstances. The button layout is simply not going to exactly match the arcade equivalent, but it's damn close and won't cause any problems.

Overall I'm very impressed. Can't wait to get to the arcade again so I can put my practice to use.

11. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

I too have also recently imported the SC2 Hori stick to play vf with and can gladly reccomend it to any uk players who don't already have a decent stick/are looking for an new one.I got mine from www.lik-sang.com and the good thing is there's loads of ways to pay for it.It came after 6 days of me buying it online plus I got a nice little dvd of forthcoming games and ....err some stickers...

12. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

I have played a lot with the following joysticks:
    The Hori Vf4 stick
    The Hori Vf4 Evo stick
    and the Ascii PS2 stick

My favorite is the first Vf4 stick. It handles better than the Evo stick. I assume this is because the stick (the metal rod) is thicker. The Evo stick is touchier and the ball seems to rotate more than I would like, making it something you have to adjust to and be wary of.

My friend had an Ascii stick. It was alright, but I am personally not crazy about the octagonal slot that houses the stick. I first started playing Vf in Taiwan and therefore am used to the square holes that are the norm in Taiwanese and Japanese arcades. Also, the ascii stick broke after about one year. When used it would input left constantly, rendering it completely useless. He then ordered a new Red Evo stick from Japan. He is still adjusting to the new stick, though it works fine.

I was still happy with my Hori Vf4 stick (the one with Akira's studly picture on it). Sadly, it finally bit the dust.
    It really wasn't so bad, but one out of 20 times or so, I would hit left and it wouldn't register. This was unacceptable to me, so I got on Buyrite.com (I know everyone hates them but they have been ok to me in my limited experience) and found the same stick and ordered it.

Much to my dismay they sent me a new blue Evo stick. I played some with it before taking apart the Akira stick and switching the stick parts of the two controllers. I was even able to switch the colored balls so they would match. My stick and I have never been happier.

13. tzgorr1

tzgorr1 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DrunkenCat said:

Hey all. Just got a Hori Soul Calibur 2 stick (needed the extra buttons /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) from play-asia.com. It was my first time using play-asia and they were cheap, and I got my stick four days after they shipped it - great for a first order. As for the stick itself I can say that it's everything I expected a Hori arcade stick to be. I can now tell the difference between a Hori and the cheap arcade stick I used before.

The construction is so solid I think I could knock someone out with it. The base is a rigid metal, and the plastic that makes up the rest of the stick is just as strong. There is no give at any point in this design, and the stick and buttons seem to be the same (although only time will tell). Add to this the fairly heavy weight of the stick and it's rock-solid.

The stick itself is very accurate - roll the stick and the diagonals are in all the right places. The stick is nice and loose, with just enough resistance to let it settle back into neutral. The buttons perform exactly as they should also - just right in my opinion.

Like other Hori sticks (so I've been told) this stick does make clicking noises constantly - if you are anally retentive about this sort of thing then you should probably try before you buy but it isn't noticable. I would usually put it as a criticism but it's a faint noise so it's not annoying and it doesn't affect the stick at all - it will still roll smoothly and evenly.

As far as criticism of the stick goes the only thing that comes to mind is that the cord from the stick to the controller port is a bit short, but that will only be a problem in certain circumstances. The button layout is simply not going to exactly match the arcade equivalent, but it's damn close and won't cause any problems.

Overall I'm very impressed. Can't wait to get to the arcade again so I can put my practice to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drunken Cat,

Really quick question about the SC2 stick: How's the button setup for playing Tekken as well? Is it good?
    ANd approx. how long is the chord?

14. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG

[ QUOTE ]
    Really quick question about the SC2 stick: How's the button setup for playing Tekken as well? Is it good?
    ANd approx. how long is the chord?

[/ QUOTE ]
    For Tekken the button setup is a angled a bit too much. It's playable and you would get used to it but it's not perfect. The cord is about four feet long or so. It would be great if you could place the PS2 a foot or so in front of the TV - it would be the right distance from the screen then. If you have a large TV and your PS2 is under it then it may be a bit too short.

15. tzgorr1

tzgorr1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Drunken,

I was acutally gonna order it yesterday. I say the US$39 and I was really excited about too. But then when I was checking out, I saw the postage price and it was friggin US$30!!!! Gah! US$69!!!!!!

Need to save up more... /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon Well-Known Member

Is the Evo stick easy to take apart? And can it be modified with like a different stick? I thought I saw it wasn't easy to do that type of stuff so I got a homemade one from somebody that has HAPP parts. I thought maybe it would help me learn how to make one or it would be more upgradeable. I feel the button layout
    Sq Tri L1 I use x= guard, sq= punch, Tri= kick
    X Circ L2
    is rather uncomfortable and not true to the way intended setup. So I was thinking of either getting an Evo stick or re-arrange my button layout. Not too sure what to do. Also wish I would have put that money towards a really expensive homemade one

17. Zakuta

Zakuta Well-Known Member

Namco Sticks

I use my Namco Stick - which is perfect for VF.

18. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Don't Bother......

Imo, the only stick that is "perfect" for simulating the VF arcade experience, (which is what one is trying to accomplish when they purchase an arcade stick), is the VF4 and Evo sticks from Hori (import Japan).

Any American made stick from any American company can easily be disregarded if you intend to play VF4 or Evo....Unless! Unless you own multiple consoles, and a computer with Mame, you might actually want to consider purchasing an X-arcade stick. The stick is so versatile, you can play any game on any of the recent consoles, and still hook it up to your computer. Not to mention you can purchase a single, and mutliplayer version. The best part thought, is the durablility and compatability of this thing.
    The X-Arcade stick can plug into the: PS1, PS2 /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, Computer (PC and Mac), X-box, Gamecube, and Dreamcast, not to mention it will also be compatable with the PS3 /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif..........because you must buy ($15-$30) separate adapters for each console/computer you intend to hook it up to.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Now for Japanese sticks.

The two main things about the Arcade sticks, are the sticks, and button layout.

Most people cannot judge a sitck by a review, because it is all personal preference, everyone likes theirs a little differently. But if you want one that is closest to the arcade of VF, you should buy the newer VF4 Evo sticks. The have excellent directional diverstiy, are easy to adjust, and have an efficient 'dead' zone.

Button layout, this is were you want accuracy above all else, and not one stick has the buttons layed out (in proportion to the stick) that the Evo sticks.

The bottom line is that the Evo sticks were made for this game specifically, unless you plan on playing not alot of Evo /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif, and alot of other games (SCII, DOA, SNK, etc.), then you might want to consider either a Tekken Joystick, or an SCII joystick.

Seeing as I have a Mame computer, and a PS2 with VF Evo (only one game /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), I purchased an X-arcade, and two Hori VF Evo sticks.)

PS: My friend has a SCII stick for PS2, and it is just plain fine to play VF casually on, but if you play alot, I would not recommend even thinking about buying it for VF.

19. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Re: Don't Bother......

And that concludes empnova´s advertisement for the POS known as XArcade
    That thing reeks, the TTT and T4 J Sticks are far better for VF4 and Evo on PS2 then that shit.

20. replicant

replicant Well-Known Member

Re: Don't Bother......

X-Arcade Single and Double sticks are absolute garbage. If you want an American style setup, just get a Mas Systems stick which can be adapted as well to any system and is about 5x more solid than an X-Arcade. The actual pushbuttons and sticks are alot better made as well. I'm still partial to my NAMCO stick for PSX/PS2 play. Any of the Hori sticks for Tekken, VF, or SC will do the trick for you if you don't have someone like catch22 make you a pro stick.