1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Re: Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Open the stick's base and you'll see a "flathead" screw looking thing on the bottom of the stick's shaft. this is to hold the shaft in place to unscrew the ball from the shaft. You'll notice if you don't hold the shaft in place, it'll spin along with the ball. You can use a vice-grip or wrench to hold the shaft in place without opening the stick, but i'd be careful not to damage the shaft.

BTW, a new stick is built!! With a custom underlay from the client.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth

I just got the stick today Catch. Its a work of art. I dont even want to use it since it's so good. I did try it out for a few minutes though and it plays perfectly. The higher button/stick positions makes a huge difference for me. Its perfect.

Good job man!

3. Catch22

Paul,
    I forgot to put the rubber feet on the stick before I sealed it. It was shoved under a flap on the box. Did you like the box /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Man, I wish I could see Chibita and Ohsu.

4. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth

Well, my dog found the rubber feet before me and I was only able to salvage 3 of them. The 4th is in her belly. But I can just go down to the hardware store and pick up some new ones, no big deal. Luckily she didnt get the cord this time. God that would of been IT for that dog if she got that again.

Yeah the box and packaging was another work of art. Good stuff. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But no, i didn't notice the box quality. I mail stuff wrapped in notebook paper as the wrapping so what do I care.

5. Lightning

Lightning Member

I ordered a couple of vf evo sticks from play-asia a few days ago and they haven't given me my e-mail that its been shipped yet. I was wondering how long does it usually take before it gets shipped.

6. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG

It depends which day you ordered it. If you ordered it Friday or Thursday say then it wouldn't be until Monday when they get the order and then a few days before it gets shipped. I got an email to say that my stick was shipped about 3 days after I got the order confirmation email but it might vary.

7. Lightning

Lightning Member

I got the order confirmation late friday. I was kinda hoping it would be at my place by the 12th (US Evo Version) /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif but i guess not. Thanks for the response.

8. HIGHplanzDrifter

HIGHplanzDrifter Well-Known Member

i ordered mine last thurs (8/7) and it arrived today (8/11)

9. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Catch22 sticks get the Ohsu stamp of approval!

Catch, Ohsu saw that stick at our gathering and he absolutely LOVES it. He says the construction and placement are excellent, the base is firm and doesn't shift during play, and the custom images add a special touch. He also liked the idea of being able to change the connection if another version of the game was released. I swear, he was just touching and fiddling around with it - not even PLAYING with it - for more than 15 minutes. Congratulations, you've made an impression on a real expert! You deserve to pat yourself on the back for that.

10. Catch22

Re: Catch22 sticks get the Ohsu stamp of approval!

Thanks,
    Modestmouse told me about it. I didn't even know Ohsu and Chibita was going to be there until Modest's brother told me about it.. If I knew, I'd been there. Tell you what though, tell him, if you see him around, if he's there next year, I'll be there to give him a custom stick... FREE. Guaranteed. All I want is him and Chibita to be there so I can take pictures with them and get some autographs.

Man, it sickens me that they were so close. I was actually thinking of flying to Japan after school just to meet them... and check the cool electronics also:)

Zero, please do me a favor and ask them if they'll be back next year so I can start planning for that date.

'22

BTW, I cannot begin to express how much pride that gives me to have the GREAT OHSU Akira even mention how good the stick was. This may sound like kissing ass, but it's as if a mere pawn was looking upon the King. Jeezus, I gotta meet and see those guys play in action... in person.

11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Hey Catch22, pretty much all the Japanese really dig your sticks. Mukatsuku_shun was telling me that some of them are interested in actually buying sticks off you, but I'm sketchy on the details for now. That one night Zero is referring to had Ohsu-Akira, Kofu-Megane and Neo-Tower all try your sticks and they were all greatly impressed. Hey, even I played quite a few matches on your sticks and really, there is no substitute. While my Evo stick is fine, the C22 stick is like no other. It's a freakin' brand new arcade controller at home! What more could anyone want?

12. Catch22

Seriously Myke,
    be there next year. I want a chance to meet some of you guys.. maybe get a chance to show my meager skills, and show I don't only make sticks ... and maybe demonstrate stick building and how easy it is. I totally regret not making last minute plans. Maybe I can contribute to VFers and donate sticks for the event next year.

Can I ask a question though? Are they returning next year? Even with the low number of turnout, were they mentioning even coming back? I just gotta see them play- in the flesh.

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Catch22, if next year is anything like what just went down, then I'm coming for sure.

The Japanese players have been asked if they're interested in returning next year and they've all pretty much said yes. Yamagishi-san (BT guy) asked if I planned on returning next year as well and I said that if they were all coming again, then I definitely would. It's a long time between now and then, so lots could happen in the mean time, but I'm pretty sure everyone who came wouldn't hesitate to come again given the chance.

14. qao

qao New Member

Sanwa sticks

Since Catch wont answer my email I'll put this up here.

1. Anyone know the differences between the models of sticks found in Sanwas site? Or maybe some japanese forum to ask about this? Or have tried the photodetector joystick (optical) which theyre discontinuing? http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_joy-stick.htm -stick2.htm -stick3.htm

2. Is the VF4-Set stick any good to play Shoot'Em ups like Ikaruga on Dreamcast and is the stick the same one used in Segas Naomi cabinets?

3. Would anyone know what stick they use in Street Fighter 3 cabs in japan? Cant even find a damn pic about it.. And is SF3 and other Beat'Em ups even playable with that stick of yours?

4. Since I want to keep my button layout as small as I can, what do you think about using only the smaller start/select buttons to do this? And is the inner mechanism and clicking sensitivity the same in those aswell in the other models of buttons? http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_p-button3.htm

5. And finally how much does the shipping cost and did you use Economy (Surface) Parcel Post?

Thanks alot! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. Catch22

Re: Sanwa sticks

[ QUOTE ]
    qao said:

Since Catch wont answer my email I'll put this up here.

1. Anyone know the differences between the models of sticks found in Sanwas site? Or maybe some japanese forum to ask about this? Or have tried the photodetector joystick (optical) which theyre discontinuing? http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_joy-stick.htm -stick2.htm -stick3.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much all the sticks are the same, except some have the switches on a PCB board, and some are just mounted. The advantage of mounting them on the PCB board is that it's "tidy"er. Meaning, there aren't wires running all over the place due to the wire harness that connects to the PCB, whereas you can just run wire to the regular ones with spades on the ends. The photodectector does not use conventional switches, but rather and optical switch, hence the price.

Well, other differences are that some don't have the black sleeve around the shaft of the stick. The VF4 set is the exact same stick as one of them above it. It's just sold as a set with buttons.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Is the VF4-Set stick any good to play Shoot'Em ups like Ikaruga on Dreamcast and is the stick the same one used in Segas Naomi cabinets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, pretty much. Again, the feel of the sticks offered are the same, it's just the implementation of the swithches, and the mounting of the stick (with or without brackets)

[ QUOTE ]

3. Would anyone know what stick they use in Street Fighter 3 cabs in japan? Cant even find a damn pic about it.. And is SF3 and other Beat'Em ups even playable with that stick of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can pretty much guarantee it's a Sanwa. Not 100% sure though.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Since I want to keep my button layout as small as I can, what do you think about using only the smaller start/select buttons to do this? And is the inner mechanism and clicking sensitivity the same in those aswell in the other models of buttons? http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_p-button3.htm

[/ QUOTE ]
    I haven't tried all the buttons, but the differences are the housing- only for mounting purposes. The other differences in the switches are the rating of them- one is a heavy duty model, and the other is a standard model. But then there's also the "clicky" buttons that have microswithches on them like the American arcades (Happ). Whether you want to use them is up to you... it's all in your preference.

[ QUOTE ]

5. And finally how much does the shipping cost and did you use Economy (Surface) Parcel Post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once, I bought 5 VF stick sets and some extra buttons. Cost $50 Parcel Post. They do not offer economy to the US.

Thanks alot! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1)

Sorry, I get flooded with "joystick question" emails.

16. Kimble

Kimble Well-Known Member

Hey Catch22! How much would it cost me to have a stick made by you? Those sticks really look sweet!

17. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

well I believe you must be also flooded with PMs.

I am really interested in getting one of your custom made joysticks. Is it possible?

18. Catch22

yes, definitely FLOODED. Seems like there has been a peak in interest after the Cali tourney. Thing is, I don't have any more sticks... I gotta place an order for more.

BTW guys, PM me if you guys are interested. I think it's unessesary to clog up board space with requests. I'll let you guys know when I get more sticks in. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Catch22

Bad news / Good news

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good news is that I've finished these two sticks destined for Europe. I've now made sticks for Europe, Singapore, Canada, and the US! I hope our European friends like them.

Bad news, these might be the last ones I build for awhile. I'll take a break till I finish out school, which is in October. Sanwa also has been mum, so I'll have to buy a Japanese calling card and call them personally. I've emailed them tons, and no go.

BTW, these sticks are smaller than the others built in the past. Their footprint is just slightly bigger than the Hori VF sticks, and when I continue, these will be the only size offered.

Well, that's it for now.

20. replicant

replicant Well-Known Member

Re: Bad news / Good news

Nice work as always C22. Good luck with school.