1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Sports Thread: Boxing and MMA

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Jan 18, 2020.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Let's use this thread to discuss Boxing, MMA and maybe some other combat sports that get thrown into the mix!

Upcoming fights you're looking forward to?
    Favourite fighters?
    Favourite matches?

What's your best matches of 2019!?

wilder-fury-2-main-poster.png
    Upcoming in 2020:
    Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury - WBC, Ring Magazine and Lineal titles on the line

Anthony Joshua must defend his titles against either Pulev or Usyk. Negotiations in the works.
    Usyk looks to be fighting Parker next?

Khabib-vs-Tony-1.jpg

In the world of MMA, McGregor returns to UFC in a fight with Donald Cerrone.

Khabib Nurmeagldangadgbahfavabddov will battle Tony Ferguson in April.

2. HotSauceNelly

HotSauceNelly Well-Known Member

I'm starting to sense that Deontay will be the biggest star in boxing since Floyd. All the ingredients are there! The LOVE, the HATE, the VILLAIN role, the TALENT, the DISCIPLINE, the OPPOSITION and rivals he needs to elevate his status, the PERSONALITY, and most importantly.....the MINDSET!!!

3. HotSauceNelly

HotSauceNelly Well-Known Member

@AkiraZero Naoya Inoue seems like the goods. However I must admit....it was a bit of a surprise to see him struggle as much as he did against Nonito. Donaire's best days are LONNNGGG behind him so it was an unexpected result. Salute to Inoue for coming through victorious in the face of adversity.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  4. MadeManG74

He's got the excitement factor due to his KO power, and I find his a good interview as well when he's not trying to put on a bad guy persona.
    We all just need to see him (and the other big names) fight some more high profile fights!
    Hopefully this year we follow up Wilder v Fury II with AJ vs the winner and Usyk shaking things up. I'd love to see a Ruiz redemption arc as well!

Donaire broke Inoue's orbital bone very early in the fight, Inoue was basically fighting with one eye for the remainder and still nearly KO'd Donaire with a body shot.

I think that Donaire took some of the shine off of Inoue, but it also showed us that Inoue is more than just a brainless KO puncher. He really fought that match intelligently and came out on top.

As far as him vs Lomachenko... would be a great match. I think they are both very fresh but have potential to be big stars. I would love to see Gervonta Davis vs Lomachenko!

Anyone watch the UFC today? I'm not surprised but still disappointed with the outcome of the main event.

I was backing Moderaffi to come out on top of Barber, she fought extremely well. Looks like Barber had a tough time with someone with more experience and finesse.

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I disagree. He's lacking one aspect of the cream of the crop. The CV. His only top level opponent is a rusty Tyson Fury. And I'm of the opinion that he lost that fight, even with the two knock downs. I hope some big fights can be made soon.

6. MadeManG74

I have to agree, but I think most of the top heavyweights are lacking in fights against other top opposition. I think Ortiz was a decent win for Wilder at least, but even then Ortiz is quite old and seemed to out-box Wilder until he ate his KO punch. Ortiz nearly KO'd Wilder in their first fight too.

I really want to watch the first fight, it took place just before I started really getting into boxing. From what I've seen and heard it sounds like Fury really should have won.

7. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm not even sure I'd put Ortiz in the top bracket. His CV isn't great either. With Wilder he's had a lot of fights but I think only 6 of them have been against an opponent ranked in the top 20 at the time of fighting. I'd like to see him fight ranked guys more regularly. Apparently he won't fight his mandatory Dillian Whyte until 2021.

8. MadeManG74

You're right, I'm just saying Ortiz is the best, not that he's amongst the top rank. Post-PEDs bust Whyte might not be up to Ortiz' level though, based on his performance in Saudi Arabia recently.

Hoping that 2020 brings about Wilder fighting some of the top guys. If he beats Fury, then I want to see Wilder vs AJ for unification, and if he loses then I would like to see Wilder vs Ruiz.

9. MadeManG74

Thoughts on Reyes vs Jones?
    I think Reyes has a chance if he keeps composure and is sufficiently aggressive.

10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Is semi fake WWE wrestling a part of this thread too?

11. MadeManG74

Mmmm I think that should be a seperate thread? Thoughts everyone?

Also, predictions for this weekend's fight?

beanboy likes this.
  12. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Think Fury will lose now. He doesn't seem to want it. Hearing that his camp went poorly and excuses like ankle injuries... Doesn't bode well.

13. MadeManG74

Oh? Where did you hear that? He seemed really determined to me from what I've seen, moreso than Wilder has in the lead up.

It feels to me like Fury has something to prove, whereas Wilder just had nowhere else to go.

14. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I struggled to remember where it came from. I believe it was a Hatman video on youtube. He often reports on murmurs from camps of UK fighters. Fury has come out and denied it now, but a little too late for my liking.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  15. MadeManG74

What's everyone's predictions for UFC249?

16. MadeManG74

6 Days until Adesanya gets 50-45'd by Vettori.

17. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I agree.