1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Combos after sabaki

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Phoxx, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Phoxx

Phoxx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Phoxx__
    XBL:
    Phoxx 3D
    Hi Everyone, I'm having trouble finding any guaranteed combos from Pai's sabaki throws.

I know that [9][K][K] works most of the time, but I can't help but feel there's more damage potential.

What I usually find myself doing is starting the [3][K][P] string afterward, and since most people guard after being staggered, instead of finishing the string, I catch them blocking with the QCB Throw for about 100 damage total. Even though it works pretty regularly, it's hardly guaranteed.

Any guaranteed damage follow-ups that you guys use?

2. NightAntilli

NightAntilli Well-Known Member

Landing her Sabaki is very situational and hard to react to online, so I haven't looked at what to do in those cases yet. You can try and see if people are able to duck her [K], which you could probably use as a launcher in that situation. It should hit since its execution is exactly the amount of frames as [9][K].

3. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

I'm no Pai expert and someone who mains Pai, please correct any mistakes I make;

It is all about the situation for Pai's reversals. [9][K][K] is in fact guaranteed and since it is, it should be the go to move if you aren't sure what follow up to use. [K] can work but only applies to certain moves when they are reversed. For example, when the generic elbow [6][P] is caught [K] will be able to launch. However, if a [P] is reversed or certain kicks like Lau's [8][K][+][G], [K] will not have sufficient range to reach the opponent. Study the animation of the opponent after the attack is reversed. Here are some examples:
    • If Pai pushes the opponent's back and they stumble, [K] will not be able to reach. This animation can be seen by reversing [P]
    • If Pai spins the opponent around her then trips them, [K] will reach. This animation can be seen by reversing [6][P]
    • If Pai catches the opponent's leg and trips them, [K] will not reach. This animation can be seen by reversing Lau's [8][K]+[G]
    • If Pai catches the opponent's leg and pushes them. [K] will not reach. This animation can be seen by reversing [3][K]
    • If Pai catches the opponent leg and pushes them into crouching side turned, [K] will land despite only having +13 advantage due to the side turn state. This animation can be seen by reversing Pai's [9][K]
    • If Pai catches the opponent's leg and kicks their back, [K] will not reach. This animation can be seen by reversing Pai's [4][6][K][+][G]
    Those are only some but you get the gist. Observing the distance is key and practice makes perfect!

NightAntilli likes this.
  4. Vencabot

Vencabot Well-Known Member

Damn, Tiripsem. Droppin' a dime on us Pai players.

-David

5. Konradinho

Konradinho Well-Known Member

PSN:
    konradinho2
    Pai doesn't have any sabaki throw.

6. Vencabot

@Phoxx Translating what Konradinho said from Dick'enese, a 'sabaki' is an attack that also interrupts an opponent's offense; when a character attacks into a sabaki with a particular attack-class (say, an elbow), the sabaki will neutralize the elbow while also doing its regular damage. This makes sabaki's good for stealing an opponent's turn if you think that they're going to use an attack that your sabaki will interrupt. An example sabaki might be a kick that also 'sabakis' mid elbows; if your opponent doesn't do anything, it'll come out as a normal kick. If they throw a mid-elbow while you're doing the kick, the elbow will fail and your kick will land. If they throw out any other attack that's faster than your kick, your kick will be interrupted, as usual.

A 'reversal' is an action that will interrupt certain levels and classes of attacks and do damage, like a sabaki, but which doesn't have any offensive properties if the opponent's attack ISN'T interrupted, unlike sabakis, which also have the properties of standard strikes. Pai's reversals are [4][P]+[K] and [1][P]+[K].

An 'inashi' is an action that will interrupt certain levels and classes of attacks and doesn't have any offensive properties otherwise, like reversals, but, unlike reversals, they also don't do any damage even ~if~ the opponent's attack is interrupted; instead, you just gain advantage frames over your opponent.

I don't believe that Pai has any sabakis, and she has one inashi: [3] and [9] while in hakkeshou stance (I believe that entering into the stance is the same inashi, as well). Judging from the rest of what's been said in this post, you're talking about Pai's reversals.

If you've got questions about terminology, check out the VFDC glossary at http://virtuafighter.com/wiki.old/vf5/glossary . Good luck!

-David

7. Konradinho

PSN:
    konradinho2
    Hakkeshou [3] or [9] is a sabaki. She had one more sabaki (or deflect as you wanna) in VF5 Vanilla [6][4][P][P].

[4][P][+][K] and [1][P][+][K] are Pai's inashis. She had reversals in VF4 and probably in VF5 Vanilla. Just commands were replaced to [4] and [1] cause of her [3][P][+][K] new move.

8. Vencabot

Well, you're wrong, haha, and that's all that I can say. Maybe you should check the glossary that I linked, too! Hakkeshou [9] and [3] are inashis, [4][P]+[K] and [1][P]+[K] are reversals, and I don't know if she has any sabakis.

-David

[EDIT] I shouldn't be so assertive with my tone, because I'm no expert and the glossary could also be incorrect. My understandings of the terms, though, is that a sabaki is a strike that also parries, an inashi is a move or stance that parries for frame advantage but does no damage, and a reversal parries an opponent's attack for damage and possibly frame advantage. I could be wrong, since a lot of people seem to use the terms interchangeably.

9. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Yeah. hakkeshou [3] or [9] is the only pai's inashi. [4][P][+][K] and [1][P][+][K] are reversals and are useful on some situations against [P] mid[P] or mid[K]..leaves u at +15 or +16 and followup with guaranteed combo ( [9][K][K] ).

venca was right.i thought was sabaki but yea glossary answers my query!!!

10. Konradinho

PSN:
    konradinho2
    No. I shouldn't. I know what I'm talking about.
    I play this game for years and in VF4 she had 2 inputs to counter opponent, for example [1][P][+][K] and [3][P][+][K]. First was reversal and the second was inashi. And that 's a fact. In VF5FS Pai lost her reversals - reversals and her former inashis were placed at their command. However, former inashis lost their stumble effect, so yes, they can be called as a reversals now. I just stayed with an old terminology.

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    They removed her original 6P+K and 3P+K inashis from FS, and her reversals were turned into a 'hybrid' of reversal/inashi that offer little damage+advantage instead of just flat out damage. I suggest certain amount of open-mindedness.

Sozos is correct.

12. Vencabot

Your message led me to check http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_sabaki_reversal.php , which was enlightening. The definition of an inashi, here, is more akin to your explanation, but differs from the glossary's definition: that is, that an inashi results in a stagger, which is different from the advantage gained from a reversal, because inashis are 'recoverable.'

It also describes sabakis as either being 'sabaki-attacks' (what I understood sabakis to be), and 'sabaki-reversals,' which are what I understood inashis to be.

So, it seems to be that some of the confusion regarding the differences between reversals and inashis is that, at least in Pai's case, the stagger effect was removed, combining the effect of a reversal (damage) and an inashi (enough advantage for a follow-up).

Also, from this definition, Pai's hakkeshou [9] and [3] would indeed be sabakis, since I don't think that the animation differs whether an opponent attacks into it or not; they'd just be 'sabaki-reversals,' which give advantage but don't do damage.

I concede! I'll spread my misinformation and lies no more.

-David

13. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    She can Sabaki in this? My understanding was that in old VF5, Eileen could 46G+K an attack (possibly just P), which would eat it, then cause crumple, then you had options for big damage. I haven't seen anything like that with Pai on FS so far. Regarding stance after PPP3P+G+K, I think it's the K that can give a float, but maybe only on counter? I know I've hit something after that, either P or K, and it's given me unexpected fairly long juggle time. Obviously it could be char specific... possibly may have been on Lion.

In command training it looks like she can reverse 4 or 1P+K a lot of kick attacks, but realistically in match play, seems really risky to go after some of them, and obviously you need to know the other characters movelist fairly well to be able to alternate correctly at speed.