1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic book readers?

Discussion in 'General' started by FatalRose, Feb 24, 2007.

1. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

I am huge comic book nerd, anyone else here into comics? If so for how long and what do you read and who are your favorite characters? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Well, I'm very picky in the series I like. I'm not too fond of the Mainstream superhero comics of the United States, except for Deadpool, and I dislike a lot of mange.

So the series I enjoy:

Blade of the Immortal

Berserk

Battle Angel Alita (I'm disliking the latest ones because of the generic storyline and the use of tournaments, the art is still awesome at times)

Akira (of course)

Hokuto no Ken (Terrible plot, lack of variation in expressions, repetitive everything, but post apocalyptic settings trump everything)

Stuff by Joe Sacco, the Hernandez brothers, Alan Moore's writing abilities.
    -------

Favorite characters:

Raoh- the villan of Hokuto no Ken, ultimate badass, too bad he died in a fucking pussified manner.

Tetsuo- awesome anti-hero... what else is there to say?

Gattsu- ... 0-O

Alita- Coo'

Deadpool- Best character to have ever come out of the Superhero comics of the US, hands down, ultimate badass who partakes in anomalies of the comic format.
    ------

I plan to make comics for a living or at least on the side. (working on one right now)

3. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

4. Cupcake_Desu

Cupcake_Desu Well-Known Member

1.naruto
    2.bleach
    3.fruit basket ( i know im sad for reading shojo)
    4.yu yu hakusho
    5.ultimates
    6.civil war
    7.death note ( but really behind)
    8.new avengers
    9.wonder woman when the thing fucking comes out
    10.jo jos bizarre adventure
    11.pet shop of horrors

5. JohnTheGamer

JohnTheGamer Member

I'm not to much into comics although I buy them whenever I see them cheap. I have about 50. I like the older comics fave character is probably Rom. I'm very into mangas. I like Sgt. Frog, Lupin the 3rd, FLCL, Ranma 1/2 among others

6. vf5jason

vf5jason Well-Known Member

I'm reading right now

1.Bleach
    2.Naruto
    3.Prince of tennis

7. GodEater

Just finished The Surrogates written by Robert Venditti, drawn by Brett Weldele, and published by Top Shelf Productions.

Nicely contained 5 issue mini-series set in the future and running in the same playground as Bladerunner and William Gibson.

The plot revolves around the fact that 90% of humanity has ditched flesh and blood for a datastream pumping into surrogate, mechanical bodies nicked "surries". An investigation into the "murder" of two surrogates leads Lieutenant Harv Greer and Sergeant Pete Ford into a rapidly unfolding case of one person determined to bring humanity from the brink of living by proxy.

A nice examination of the notion of identity, humanity and the "good life" and available now. Small press comic but big ideas.

GE

8. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

1. Death Note
    2. Civil War
    3. Dark Tower(Good artwork, of course by the man Jae Lee)

9. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

I'll just list the ones I'm currently buying or have bought recently.

1- 52
    2- Civil War
    3- New Universal
    4- Dark Tower
    5- Living Dead
    6- Astonishing X-men
    7- Run Aways
    8- Aquaman
    9- Astro City
    10- Lucifer
    11- Both Superman tittles
    12- Both Batman tittles.
    13- JLA
    14- JSA
    15- Y the last Man
    16- Fables
    17- Ex Machina
    18- Teen Titans
    19- Onslaught Reborn (It's so bad it's good)
    20- Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil
    21- Ultimates
    22- Ultimate X-Men
    23- Outsiders
    24- All Star Batman and Robin (again really terrible)
    25- All Star Superman
    26- Girls.

I know I've missed a few.

10. GodEater

Just so everyone know...Onslaught is so bad it is horrible. Shame on you for indicating otherwise, cuz.

Writing and art are both shameful.

GE

11. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

See, I like things that are so terrible they make a full circle back to being entertaining. Steven Segal (sp?) movies come to mind.

12. GodEater

NO NO NO NO NO! YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

GE

13. GodEater

All Star Superman rocks, I just wish Morrison was a workaholic. He's spread way too thin and the delays in his work is crazy.

Speaking of spread thin. Ex Machina is bout the only Vaughan book I like anymore. Even Y (which I love(d) and gave trades away to friends so they could start reading) is getting a little stale and sometimes hokey. I read Runaways until the end of the first run and all my predictions after issue 4 came true. Bleah. Whedon on that book will re-vitalize it, I think.

I don't hate on Vaughan I just think he should say 'no' once in a while or set up more bi-monthly books.

GE

14. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Heh I have a love hate relation with Morrisson. Sometimes I think he's great, like is the case for All Star Supes, and other times I find he just babbles too much to make himself look smart, like last issue of Batman.

15. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

some of my favourite is ...

Lone Wolf and Cub (Kazuo Koike)
    Watchmen (Alan Moore)
    Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller)
    Groo the Wanderer (Sergio Aragonés)
    Ranma 1/2 (Rumiko Takahashi)

16. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Up till a few months ago I hadn't read a comic since Asterix about 15 years ago.

I'm starting to get back into them now. I started with some of Udon comics Street fighter books as well as "Batman Year One" by Frank Miller and "Batman Under The Hood" by Judd Winick. I've ordered "Batman The Dark Knight Returns" and "Watchmen" as there highly rated. I also got interested in "The Darkness " because of the game. It's got an excellent site.
    http://www.2kgames.com/thedarkness/

I'm getting some Manga as well like "Berserk", "Basilisk" and "Rurouni Kenshin." The only Manga I've read so far are Bleach V.1
    and Devil May Cry V.1 and I didn't like either.

17. GodEater

Suggested reading in trade (collected) format.

Watchmen
    Read this before the movie is made. An excellent book that still reads well.

Mage - The Hero Discovered
    One of my top 3 books. I included a link but there are heavy spoilers involved so beware.

V for Vendetta
    simply put, the wachowski brothers suck ass in every single way possible and their piece of garbage adaptation ruins the point of the movie. Throw the movie away and read this book. Do it. Seriously. Why are you still reading this? Go get it!

GE

18. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

My parents have all the Asterix /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'd recommend anything by Alan Moore except for Promethea.

If you have kids, you must get all the volumes of Bone. They're currently being reprinted in colour by Scholastic. Get it even if you don't have kids, it's really good. If I'm not mistaken, they're being printed in French and in colour right now too.

For a more recent pick, I highly recommend Pride of Baghdad (sp).

19. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Wish I had more time to read :p :

yeah Watchmen is really good,
    I'm trying to read more of Alan moore stuff
    Beserk is good
    The old dark horse Alien comics from the 80's-90's are good too

20. GodEater

Loved Asterix when I was a kid.

Bone *is* really good. Great read.

GE