1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Comment on Tekken 4 graphics

Discussion in 'General' started by Temjin, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Temjin

Temjin Well-Known Member

I just recently noticed the game and was shocked by the primitive nature of it's graphics. It was just a joke. Not to say that you should base a game on graphics, but it was so damn bland looking especially after playing VF4. You can almsot directly compare two similar stages between tekken and VF4- the stages with the helicoptors and the one with the throng of people similar to the wolf's stage. It just made me laugh at how outdated this game already is before it was even released. I actually played couple games and also found the animation extremley chunky and weak.

2. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

Well, Tekken 4 came out at my place b4 VF4 so I played a couple of games on it... and at first I thought it was quite good, water puddles on some stage, reflection on Yoshi's armor, etc etc.
    And that's of course b4 VF4 came out. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Enishi

Enishi Well-Known Member

PSN:
    dr_curien
    XBL:
    JoeTestman
    The main reason for T4's lacking graphics i'd have to say is the obvious fact that it was rushed. Don't get me wrong now, I love Tekken 4, Kazuya owns all, but the game just didn't feel as complete as some of the other Tekkens. Maybe they can fix it up in the home version.

4. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why Arcadia gave Tekken 4 the Best Graphics award for 2001.

5. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

When i saw Tekken 4 for the first time, it looked pretty decent to me, nothing to bad nothing to good, i still saw a good bit of jaggies though. The character models do look very nice though. I havent played VF4 but just by looking at the clips at Tbzonethe graphics are wayyyyy better than Tekken 4's!

6. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I still don't understand how someone could like Tekken over VF.

Sorry, someone had to say it. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Tekken 4 got the Best Graphics for 2001?! There were definitely MANY titles that had better graphics than T4 if you ask me.

Maybe it was an award of "pity?"

8. Enishi

Enishi Well-Known Member

PSN:
    dr_curien
    XBL:
    JoeTestman
    Well lets also not forget that in 2000, when TTT came out, Namco got an award for "Best CG cinema" when, that very same year, Onimusha came out and Onimusha EASILY had a better opening. Once again, not to say Tekken is a bad series but still...

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Its play preferance...a lot of people just like the tekken gameplay more than vf...

10. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I must agree that Tekken4 has good graphics but I really didn't see anything that made me go WOW!! I guess if you look at the colors of the stages and outfits of the characters I could see how they could think tekken4 was supreme graphically. In all honesty T4 is a joke! I played TTT Forever and to go from TTT to T4 was a horrible feeling. In TTT you could backdash cancel which was somewhat controversial in the entire outlining of the gameplay, but Jesus. Namco gives us Walls and wall combos. And also takes away backdash supremacy. They also take away manual low parrying which was a big part of the tekken tag gameplay at high levels. I'm waiting for TTT2. Then namco can have my backing again. Graphics, Shmaphics, doesn't really bother me. =) later guys.

11. Shadowdean

While I do NOT like tekken 4 and never have been a huge tekken fan..I do see the allure of 4...they are doing what sega wants to do, which is make it faster paced...ya either like it or don't...

12. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

i can enjoy playing t4, but for some reason right now vf is way more interesting. its a very deep fighting game, which will take time to figure out to a good extent. i can see the allure to t4 to the passerby though. nice cg openings....i hate to admit it but when i first saw vf4, i thought the graphics were good, but had a fake shinyness to them. t4 has the same, but not as pronounced, imo. hell, when i finally do get a ps2, i will probably own both t4 and vf4 along with whatever other decent fighting game comes out.

13. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Does Tekken 4 have a certain allure? I would say so, in terms of the sound effects and the general animations when people get hit and what not, I think those are pretty cool.

However, Tekken 4 is VERY slow paced compared to VF4, TTT, SC, etc... Tekken 4 is a slower paced game. Mind you, it doesn't bother me, it's one of the only decent arcade games on my college campus. But I thought I would make it clear that Tekken 4 (as opposed to some of the previous Tekken games) is rather slow in pace.

As far as VF4 is concerned, I think a lot of people who just watch the game in Portland thinks its pace is too faced, hehe.

-Chanchai

14. MIRACLE~!!

MIRACLE~!! Member

The thing about Tekken is that it's not so much the actual graphical prowess. Tekken has always had worse graphics than VF, but this isn't really important to me as long as the game looks good overall. And overall Tekken 4 looks adequate. Too bad it's such a lousy game and Namco got lazy.

BUT what DOES matter to me, is that even though VF's graphics are much better, Tekken has much better design. The characters are MUCH more appealing than the generic look of VF's characters. When I look at Jeffry, I shudder to think why anyone would devote time to using a character that looks as moronic as that. Also, the characters' look has not evolved in design since the first game. Akira, Pai, Jacky, Lau, etc. They all look the same...and they were boring to look at from the beginning. Even the best graphics in the world do not make up for boring design.

Tekken always had interesting characters: Yoshimitsu, Hwoarang, King, Jin, Ogre, Xiaoyu, Lee, etc. One of the reasons why I think VF hasn't gathered much attention is that it doesn't have the visual appeal right off the bat. It looks too much like a simulation and not a really fun fighting game. And you have to admit that, to a scrub who hasn't played either, Tekken is much more fun to watch (excluding T4 which is a jab-fest). Crazy juggles and moves and setups...it's all so much more apparent in a Tekken match.

VF is only fun to watch for somebody who can understand what's going on (which I must confess I do not for the most part). The only match videos that I have watched which really wowed me in terms of visual appeal were the ones with Chibita and Akirakid's Lei-Fei. Other than that...most matches look pretty dull--even if they WERE packed with skills. But have you ever watched a japanese TTT match? Even to someone who has no idea about the game...you can't help but be very impressed.

15. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I shudder to think why anyone would devote time to using a character that looks as moronic as that.

<hr></blockquote>

Funny, I have the same opinion of the characters in Tekken.

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I second ur opinion

17. Shadowdean

I happened to LIKE (not love) VF's characters, I do think Namco does have them beat in character "looks" department. They (Tekken) characters just have more personality.

18. SeriousGround

SeriousGround Member

...yeah but they all share the same moves - not so much in T4's case.

19. kikdu

kikdu New Member

I happened to LIKE (not love) VF's characters, I do think Namco does have them beat in character "looks" department. They (Tekken) characters just have more personality.

king = poor man's wolf with tedious chain throws and comic mask

jin = akira wannabe albeit with reasonable charisma/style

heihachi = ...well, he's no lau, is he?

law = semi-interesting, but extremely derivative, with exaggerated-to-the-point-of-becoming-cheesy voice

ling = i like her a lot actually (style-wise)

jack = no comment

julia = semi-original; fairly interesting, if, again, slightly derivative

paul = o-o-o-o-h-a! indeed. if that's judo, then....

ganryu = look up my synopsis of heihachi and replace the word 'lau' with the word 'TAKAAAAA!'

hwoarang = nice. solid representation of his martial art

ogre/angel, etc. = bo-ooooo-o-ring

i could go on, but i won't.

20. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I must respond to your tekken post kikdu. While Virtuafighter is "Completely Badass" and all the characters are as wholesome as Moms buttermilk. Tekken and VF are completely different.

Heihachi- while old like lau, is nothing like lau.
    Jin- Is a Badass by himself, there is no fighting game character that even comes close to Jin as a main character.
    Wolf and King share many different types of moves.
    Law- is definetely a replica of someone famous, but who wouldn't want to be bruce lee in a fighting game. ITS MARKETING.
    Jacks- Monster Damage somewhat boring to play after a while, at a high level very limited movement wise.
    I guess what I'm getting at is there are so many fighting games and only so many fighting styles. Props to Namco and SEGA for making the best looking characters for each martial art. Peace.