1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Comment on Tekken 4 graphics

Discussion in 'General' started by Temjin, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

I think it's an important thing to remember Virtua Fighter's roots when talking about character design. Since the original game had an abstract polygon look, the fighters had to be somewhat generic to be recognizable. Even with the latest sequels, most of the VF characters are the original eight. That said, the character design in Sega's fighter is fine. It's all the other games that steal from it that bites.

As for Tekken, its roster of fighters typically include way too many clones, I like all the pop culture references. You get Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Van Damme, Rutger Hauer from "Blade Runner," that Goldberg guy from WCW, etc. There's probably a couple asian celebrities in the mix as well. It fits in with the games' soap-opera storylines. If anything, there should be more celebrities in Tekken. Where's Gary Coleman when you need him?

2. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Char design... hmmh

I agree totally.

I personally love the design of the Virtua Fighters, as noone really puts you off once you get what's cool with 'em. I mean, I think we all hated Lau at some point, but truth is, we love to hate him.

Now with Tekken, I wish I could say that again, but I can't. There are a couple of gems (of course this is a matter of taste) Paul and Kazuya for example are splendid, design wise. However, the downside to this constant shuffling of chars is that a few are really, really weak. I'm not gonna mention any specific ones, as it'll only get me flamed, but I hope my point is made.

There's noone in the VF cast that really stands out, it's down to the player to make one or more of 'em loveable. And those you do not play, not even they are complete trash.

You could argue that Vanessa is the first really brave design, but I think even she is accepted in the VF-cast. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

/Mirkan

3. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Re: Char design... hmmh

I have to agree. Though there are character fighting styles I don't like (Akira, Lau) There is no one that I hate as they all make fun and unique challengers as opponents. As characters, Akira is your typical "What is the meaning of everything?" character while Jacky is the "All American/Bruce Lee" and Sarah is the "Feme Fatal".

Lion is the "Pretty Boy", Pai's the "Headstrong Woman", Kage is obviously the mysterious "Ninja", Aoi the "Delicate Flower", and Jeffery is your "Powerhouse". Lei Fei's look is pretty obvious but Vanessa is something new. The "Trained Professional" has been done before but not with her unique features. She's the second Black character, she's not from any of the typical countries (USA/UK) (there was a rumour on the Magicbox that she was Brazilian) and she's got muscles. Sarah has definition but she's no where near the kind of dedication Vanessa has in weight training. Some people are turned off by women with muscles especially in places where "Cute" is the standard. So kudos to AM2.

The character that impressed me the most in VF4 was Wolf. The first time I saw him I was treated to the "Shut up! Just come on!" intro, I was shocked and estattic. I really thought to myself "Damn, this guy is a cocky son of a bitch! I'm going to enjoy beating him!" Those kind of moments are priceless.

Virtua Fighter may not have CG endings or the like but the character intros and win poses are just as good as.

4. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

MIRACLE~!, well said about Tekken's characters.

kikdu, considering Akira's utterly colorless appearance and personality/background, it's hard to see how he inspired Jin in any way.

Mirkan "it's down to the player to make one or more of 'em loveable"
    I completely agree, and that goes for every fighting game..

5. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

No doubt that VF4 has a million times better visuals.
    but then again VF always had;)

6. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

I'm satisfied with any graphics the standard of TTT or higher, from now until forever...