1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

COMMUNITY PROJECT: Aoi Guide

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Leonard_McCoy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

<span style='font-family: Arial Black'><span style='font-size: 20pt'>COMMUNITY PROJECT</span></span>
    <span style='font-family: Book Antiqua'><span style='font-size: 26pt'>Aoi Guide</span></span>

In the next couple of weeks (maybe months) I'll try to gather, and write down from scratch, up-to-date material in order to publish a comprehensive VF5 Aoi Guide including possible ways how to approach this fabulous tech character, as there isn't much out there source-wise yet. The emphasis will rather be put on how to approach this character, what she is capable of, and what not showing solutions to possible fighting situations that other characters are not capable of advertising important moves of her and so forth.

As this will be a pretty huge long-term project, I hope there are other enthusiastic Aoi fanatics out there helping me out providing the community project with material, their thoughts, and ideas. I do hope that we can wrap up all that then in a pretty neat guide on "Mastering Aoi."

I remember the VF3 times well where practically whole volumes of character and strategy guides were available (e.g. on GameFAQs.com) and where you couldn't help yourself but to spend months on studying the data, comments and insights on moves, tactics, and fighting philosophy. I hope we can re-connect from there - making Aoi the truly most popular, and most well-documented character in VF5 history.

2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    PM Chanchai or Nin, they're good sources.

As much I love Aoi, this idea is impossible as long as Jacky, Lau, Pai, Kage, Brad, and Wolf are in the game.

3. Sikarios22

Sikarios22 Member

I would be interested in contributing to (or at least reading) some sort of project like this. I am by no means a pro-level player, but I'm getting VF5 for the 360 this week and plan to devote all my time to learning this character.

4. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Strangely enough Aoi and Pai are very unpopular here in America. I guess one for sucking and the other for kicking too much ass lol. I've seen a lot of interest in well Sarah, Eileen, and Vanessa.

5. Leonard_McCoy

According to a Japanese poll (link must be somewhere here on the forums) Aoi is the character that people want to learn first and foremost - in Japan ...
    Ah well, anyways, Aoi remains a tech-character worth investing time into learning all her neat techniques, her fast stepping and so forth.
    To me VF5 needs much more FAQs, and Aoi will be my starter character for writing one I hope (after having consulted the more experienced VF5 players out there).

6. Katsuro

Katsuro Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of an Aoi fan (in part because I studied Aikido for a very brief period of time) so such a guide would be of massive interest to me. I'd be willing to contribute, but I'm not exactly what you'd call a pro-level player. I can't even get the timing right for her throw combo (the one begining /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif& /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif so I doubt I'll be much use to you.

7. Spanky

Spanky Well-Known Member

I'm a n00b that first started at VF4E, but I play only Aoi, so as I get into 5, I'll be glad to throw in my input.

And Katsuro, you can just buffer the inputs to those throw combos, no need to worry about timing for the ones that go into /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and so on.

8. k4polo

k4polo Well-Known Member

i guess i can help some kind of way in the future. Although i am pai/sarah user mainly, i retain some interest in Aoi.

9. Leonard_McCoy

Practice is all you need there for circular throw inputs, and multi-throws. It's really no big deal (with an Arcade Stick). Lock the moves in Dojo Mode and keep on going until it you can make it 9 out of 10 times.

I'm glad there is at least some interest into creating a truly documented guide for Aoi :D.

10. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

I'm first off all interested in what changed for Aoi from version B to C

11. Assassin8168

Assassin8168 Member

Although I am a Pai/Wolf player mainly, I still would like to contribute to this as much as I possibly can. I know her play changed quite a bit from four EVO to five, but will be training with all three when I get my copy of five after class.

12. Einzelkind

Einzelkind New Member

I'm also willing to help,but I'm new to the game,so my options of contributing something are pretty limited.

13. KenshinX

KenshinX New Member

I play Aoi devotedly. I started back in 3, but I didn't get competitive until 4. My favorite tactics right now include /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif into /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif hopefully into the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    That's best launched when the opponent is crouching. My favorite throw is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif into /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and then her downward strike. It's a very damaging and easy to pull off combination.

Between B and C I think they gave her more reversal options. I'm noticing that I can pull off reversing things like Akira's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif from the ground, no matter which one he does. I think in the PS3 version, that option definitely wasn't there.

14. Leonard_McCoy

Depending on who you fight and how light this opponent is, I'd do more damaging, way different and <u>guaranteed</u> follow-ups here. There are two combos which always work, no matter against who you are fighting:
    f,f + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif >> f + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    f,f + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif >> d + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

While the throw itself isn't bad (try the two 270s of Aoi's throw arsenal), your follow-up ground throw attack (and downward chop) is not guaranteed at all as the opponent has the chance to recover way before you can even start to ground-throw him.

15. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

I'll offer what help I can. Been playing Aoi since VF4, definitely still learning the changes in VF5, haven't found anything not already listed in some of the other threads here, but maybe in the future.

Is f,f + K >> f + K, K really guaranteed? It looked like it should be, but I find the middle kick tends to miss, unless I'm basically on top of my opponent for the first attack. Do you have to delay it or something?

16. Leonard_McCoy

Yes, you have to delay it. Simply add a forward dash before continuing the sequence floater with f,f + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

For human opponents who are too lazy to stand up, I always tend to extend this combo type for additional damage:

f,f + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif >> f,f + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif >> d + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

17. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Just been trying a new combo, I don't know the specifics at the mo for stance and weight because it does seem dependent on that:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif time OM /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to hit then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

p.s I can't find the ver c changes for aoi or others? search function works well does not..:/

18. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif a down throw attempt IS guaranteed, adding a downward chop after that can be tech rolled.

19. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

well technically it's not guaranteed it's 50/50 guessing game,
    but your meaning, yes it is a guaranteed forced choice ground throw.

20. Leonard_McCoy

I wish there were any documented (and translated) move changes for Aoi from version B to C. VF5 has been out for quite some time now, but it sadly misses guides, and FAQs for certain characters being not as popular as i.e. Jacky.

Sorry for the mistake on the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif post-throw attempt.