1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Compare these movies of Tekken 4 wit VF4 movies...

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by adamYUKI, Jun 25, 2001.

1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Originally posted on gaming-age.com:

http://www.ruliweb.com/data/mpeg.../tk4_3.avi
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ruliweb.com/data/mpeg.../tk4_4.avi>http://www.ruliweb.com/data/mpeg.../tk4_4.avi</A>

What do you peeps think, compared to movies of vf4?

[​IMG]

2. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Hey Adam...

Ice-9 made a observation in the other T4 thread, "HOT DAMN!!! Tekken 4 pics!!!":
    I think it's interesting that a Tekken thread would get nearly 1000 views on a VF forum.

Not that I'm bashing you, but is there a reason why there's a lot of T4 activity on a VF site? I went over to tekkenzaibatsu.com and I didn't see any links to VF4 mpegs, or pics, or anything.
    Later/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I honestly like what I see with the Tekken 4 movies. Finally get to see the upper body sways that Steve/Dean has. In fact.... I was hoping for a boxing character that would have these same things for VF4, but maybe Vanessa might implement a similar sort of thing. I'd like to see some bobbing and weaving/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Backgrounds might not look like much on pics, but I think in motion they actually setup a nice atmosphere. However, I do have to admit that eventually atmosphere wears out... At least for me as I hardly notice the backgrounds in DoA2 anymore nor do I gaze at the tunnel/raft stage in Soul Calibur like I used to. Looks like the Tekken fans will be quite happy with the gameplay, and from what I've read, Tekken sounds like it's focusing on a more technical sort of gameplay... We shall see.

I'm personally looking forward to both, naturally leaning towards VF4. On the side, for some reason, I get the impression that VF4 is going to have a really strong pressure game.... kinda like Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3... it's just a feeling though. Not a bad thing in my book at all.

-Chanchai

4. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hmm I think the new character Steve Fox looks interesting but other than that this seems really TTT to me, I think someone has said this before but VF4 just seems more 'alive' to me with all the clothes beautifully animated and the leaves moving around.

5. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

Actually, I was quite a bit surprised by the movies - I was expecting a lot less judging from the still pictures that were available previously;

From what I could see, finally Namco has spent some time caring for details such as cloth movement and hairs - Kazuya's pants, for example, look great - what a surprise. I had expected stiffness all around; Also, Paul and Xiaoyu's hairs seem to move quite a bit (and in separate groups of strands, not just clumped helmets), and in a flowing manner - so is the case with Steve's clothes - they sway very smoothly.

The animation seems to have been worked on quite a bit as well - the previous games always gave me the impression that Namco was just dumping raw motion capture data into the char. models and not tweaking the routines at all - leading to jerky in-between movement, bad transitions from one animation cycle to the other, etc. What I could see in these short clips is much better and flowing - that's definitely a good thing.

Also, I'm glad they're having limited geography to the stages - regardless of how walls are going to be implemented, just the simple fact that they're there will improve the way the game is played, in my opinion. I just absolutely loathed the neverending, rotating disco floor of previous Tekkens - speaking in broad terms, people could just turtle all day long using basic low lk and low rp pokes all day long without any fear of serious retaliation, or of reaching bounds, etc. Even after the shoddy inclusion of the universal low parry in TTT (which isn't in 4, thankfully), it was still very much an issue.

Another thing, I noticed that there's quite a bit of efficient sidestepping (of individual moves, even!) going on - hopefully the system has been tweaked to accomodate a quick dodge without fear of random tracking moves.

I agree that Steve looks to be an interesting character to play as;

I'm looking forward to play it, but I also agree with Doomboy that it doesn't look as vibrant, or even remotely as interesting as VF4 to me, but that's a given. Both systems will always be fundamentally different, and I simply prefer VF's.

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

STEVE reminded me alot of vannessa in KOF2000...real smooth..lotsa punches n cool punches...

HOWEVER...in the end...what a bad game KOF2000 has degraded to.

<font color=red>~~~ 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

7. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

consider this.

maybe the reason why ppl play tekken is becos they haven't heard of vf. serious.
    that's why those ppl at tekkenzaibatsu don't talk abt vf.

<font color=orange>Imagine losing to this bozo...</font color=orange>

8. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

maybe the reason why ppl play tekken is becos they haven't heard of vf. serious.
    that's why those ppl at tekkenzaibatsu don't talk abt vf.

But those ppl talked about DOA2. I find it hard to believe that VF isn't at least as popular as DOA2.
    Tekken is an OK game in my opinion, but I wouldn't have thought about going to a VF site and seeing T4 pix and movies.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I have to agree with you and Jeff, the style is just different, but even from the early pics like I said, it really doesnt look so bad. The game looks good even compared to VF4. Again can the PS2 do VF4 accurately? I still say yes without a doubt.

I've said based on the still pics and mpg's

I think VF4 is using between 8-12mb's in texture memory.
    I think VF4 is not using the N2's full capacity.
    I think VF4 is being designed in such a way that a PS2 version can be created easily without sacrificing any quality.
    I think the majority of the desicions sega is making, and even from the game designers point of view is stemming from a marketing/business and cost effectiveness decision.

I think DOA3 will be approximately 1.5X in graphical quality of VF4 and Tekken 4 and released within a year of the latter two games.

CrewNYC

10. hamand

hamand Member

and that's the beauty of this site

I think that's the great thing about this site. Due to the lack of deranged loons running around here, we can graciously discuss a game, which may or may not be great/rubbish. In the same way that none of us have played VF4 yet, but it's nice to be able to intelligently discuss the issue.

Personally, I'm looking forward to both games tremendously, because I was so far behind everyone else in VF3 that I couldn't find good comp. T3 on the other hand allowed me to catch up pretty quick 'cause it's less deep (IMHO!!)
    Visually, I'd have to hand it to VF4 because the details look simply staggering.

In time people, in time. It's fun to speculate, let it be nothing more than that.

ham

"How will this end?"
    "In fire."

11. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    I posted stuff about T4 because quite a few of us are interested about how well vf4 will port to the PS2 - graphically speaking. These comparisons allow some of us to gauge the power of the PS2 hardware. I would give my left nut to have a 100% pixel perfect translation (visually speaking) on the PS2. Namco helped design the PS2 hardware and are perhaps the only developers that can TRULY harness the power of the hardware. Thus, the progress of T4 (visually speaking) is vital to assess the possibility of 100% port of VF4.

[​IMG]

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Looking at the different Tekken 4 pics, you must admit, that the PS2 has some severe Textureproblems(quantity,quality).
    No way you have to give your left nut :D

VF4 uses 33MB VRAM.....not 4 or 8 (System 246)

The PS2 has big problems to reach DC-texture quality what makes you(CrewNYC) thinck it will reach Naomi2 level. Yu is a Grapic-fanatic he won't hold back on naomi2, but he promised an(impossible) perfect PS2 port.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

You'd have to give more than your left nut...

From Gamefront.de:

"PLAYSTATION 2: Zur PlayStation2-Version von Virtua Fighter 4 konnten wir etwas
    Neues in Erfahrung bringen: Yu Suzuki und das AM2-Team arbeiten seit Februar 2001 an
    der Umsetzung des NAOMI2-Automaten. Für die Programmierung wurden zunächst
    spezielle Libraries entwickelt. Im Vergleich zum Automaten wird die schwächere
    PS2-Hardware keine 1:1 Umsetzung liefern können. Yu Suzuki verspricht jedoch, das
    die PS2- Version dem Original so nah wie möglich kommt. In der aktuellen Fassung sei
    Virtua Fighter 4 auf der PS2 optisch bereits Tekken 4 Ãœberlegen, dass auf dem
    PS2-verwandten System 246-Board läuft. Ausserdem wird Virtua Fighter 4 neue
    Spielmodi gegenüber dem Automaten bieten..."

Translation:
    "We were able to get some news in regarding the Playstation2 version of Virtua Fighter 4:
    Yu Suzuki and AM2 have been working on the port of the Naomi2 arcade version since February. Special libraries were created for the conversion. Compared to the arcade version, the weaker PS2 hardware won't be able to handle a perfect port. However, Yu Suzuki promises that the PS2 version will be as close to the original as possible. The current build of PS2 VF4 is already looking superior to Tekken 4 which is using the PS2 based System 246 board..."

The article goes on about some additions to the homeversion. The PS2 version will also make use of VF.net (for those who want to shell out 180$ for the harddisc/modem/ethernet combo).

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: You'd have to give more than your left nut...

It's just another sad note in the tired PS2 saga. We're promised a machine that rivals pre-rendered clips in the movies (George Lucas' infamous comments about PS2 come to mind), and in the end we get a messy games console that can't even match the Dreamcast. Thank goodness for mindless brand loyalty -- if it weren't for that, why, we'd actually buy videogame machines based on actual quality, instead of hype.

VF4 will no doubt look very nice on Playstation 2, but like every game in the system's library, it will look drab, washed out, and sterile. No doubt in a years' time, we'll see our favorite fighter on GameCube and X-Box. If you want a truly outstanding home port, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until then. Personally, I'm still rooting for a Dreamcast port, just to show up Sony's machine one final time. It would be wonderful.

Daniel Thomas

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Well have to see, I may be wrong, but if the port is perfect or better, i'm gonna shove these words in your face...if you're still visiting this board of course...

CrewNYC

16. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

I am an avid player Tekken player, but I do enjoy playing other fighting games such as Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter 3. I do excel in Tekken as much as I do in any other fighter. I am very hyped about both VF4 and TK4. So far T4 has much of my attention though. I am going to inform you guys about Tekken 4, so you have a better understanding on how it plays. Tekken 4 uses a new enhancement in side stepping. There is the same old tap up and down for axis shifts found in Tekken 3 and Tag. The new addition is that when up and down is held down characters will walk circles around opponents very similar to Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur lets players move in eight directions, with Tekken 4 is only 4 directions. With up and down being side stepping many wonder how jumping is achieved, this is now done with an u/f input on the joystick. There are no more straight jumps that go up and backward leaps. So the strategy behind jumping is now for advancing on to opponents. Crouching is not done by d/f and down (because down is sidestepping), so its now done with d/b joystick inputs.

The game is very in depth, so far the game looks very promising. Tekken 4 will be another good fighter along with Virtua Fighter 4.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It sounds as though T4 will play more like VF, which is good. I hope they make the character movement less sluggish. Every character needs to be able to move like the Mishimas...

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey, if Virtua Fighter 4 is perfect on PS2, I'll eat my hat with ketchup and mustard. And I'll have a smile on my face, too.

I do think the home version will look very good, probably among the pinnacle of PS2 graphics. But it will be slimmed down from the arcade, and dollars to donuts, DOA3 on the X-Box will end up looking better. Don't worry, I'm sure VF4 will eventually end up on all the consoles.

Daniel Thomas

19. _Tetsuo_

_Tetsuo_ Member

I downloaded some of the match movies from the Japanese testing that was going on. The game runs smoothly and the pace is has been turned up a notch. It looks like Soul Calibur with fists instead of armed combat. The walls are not very combo friendly, characters will immediately fall to the floor after contact. There are some moves that can some what pop up characters but not much. So far the game has my full attention and I am hyped about it.

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Tetsuo, you the same guy from NY? Anyway, how about some links to those T4 clips? I'd like to see them too...