1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Comparing VF and DOA is like...(metaphor)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Darrius_Cole, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Trying to compare VF4(or VF4:Evo) to DOA(3 or Ultimate) is like trying to compare women, Ms. Right to Ms. Right-Now.

Ms. Right-Now looks good, really good. Much of her good looks is because sensitive parts of her body are exposed, and what is not covered is often highlighted to draw you eyes there. She makes sure it bounces and shakes so you can see it. Ms. Right-Now is very friendly in the beginning of your relationship. On the first date you feel that you have known Ms. Right-Now for years; Ms. Right-Now will even let you score on the first date.

Once you get to know Ms. Right-Now you find she has little substance. Those things that used to make you so excited start to bore you. You can still score with Ms. Right-Now but other men who have not given nearly as much time to Ms. Right-Now can score as well, and that makes the scores less important to you. After getting to know Ms. Right-Now you find that you expose yourself to so much damage by trying to do anything with her. You stand to take far more damage if your attempts backfire than you will gain if your attempts work. Soon you see that the risk-return of almost everything you try is so imbalanced against you that you become afraid to try anything. After a short while you decide to stop fooling around with Ms. Right-Now. But, even if you don't consciously decide to leave her alone, you don't give her as much time as you used to because she just can't hold your interest. Besides there is a beautiful new lady just around the corner. She looks very similar to Ms. Right-Now, but better, maybe she will be THE ONE.

About Ms. Right.

Ms. Right is not going to give it up on the first night. The second night isn't looking too good, either. You have to be patient with Ms. Right. You have to spend time to get to know Ms. Right BEFORE she will let you score. The more you get to know Ms. Right the more you realize that she is the ONE you have be searching for your whole life.

Ms. Right doesn't bait you by getting naked. She keeps her body covered and she won't open up to anyone who has not dedicated himself to the proper relationship with her. Once you look past the surface you see that one of her many good qualities is that the more time and effort you spend on Ms. Right the more she rewards you. You find that she flexible. She works with you. You find she is fair; she doesn't give you any more damage than you tried to cause.

When you stand to get hurt Ms. Right suggests many ways you can avoid getting injury. She tells you, "we can block this disaster; we can wait until the last second and dodge this disaster; we can escape this disaster; we may be able to turn the tables on our enemy and wreak disaster on him; we even can dodge, escape, and block this disaster at the same time." While doing all this, Ms. Right does not let you get sloppy by making it too easy avoid paying for your mistakes. You find that Ms. Right is complex and always seems to have something more to offer. Ms. Right makes you better. Ms. Right is loyal; people who haven't put in the time with her can never get from her what you can get from her, and that angers them to no end, but it pleases those who love Ms. Right beyond measure.

What is probably the greatest tribute to Ms. Right is that after years with Ms. Right she becomes the standard by which everyone judges all others. They want to compete with Ms. Right even though Ms. Right-Now is always younger. Every time a new Ms. Right-Now comes along shaking her boobs, her lovers feel the need to say, "this new Ms. Right-Now is so much better than Ms. Right." They forget that they said the same thing about this SAME Ms. Right and the last Ms. Right-Now, and the Ms. Right-Now before that. The wise, those who have given the effort to court Ms. Right, take it in stride, knowing that in a few months those lovers will be saying that they have another Ms. Right-Now who is so much better than this same Ms. Right.

By Darrius Cole

2. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

wow... looks like someone got sick of DOA... =)

3. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

post of the year.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    post of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

5. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

GAve me an hour and I'll make Ms. Right screaming for only the Smurfness & as far as Ms. Right Now is concerned been there done that. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Kontrast

Kontrast New Member

Haha, great post. I think the beginning section about Ms. Right-Now is a little less metaphorical and a bit more literal... bouncing and shaking and all /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    post of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

and what a bad year it was.................

8. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

Good post. However, although it may be a bit of fanboyism on my part, this was the best post of the year IMO. Well, contending with DOA = GOATPUSSY, of course.

9. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

goatpussy > this post > ninja's link

top 3

10. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    GAve me an hour and I'll make Ms. Right screaming for only the Smurfness & as far as Ms. Right Now is concerned been there done that. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

11. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Nice one, mate!
    (*raises glass in appreciation*)

12. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Where is this"goatpussy" post? Could someone post a link to it? I have tried several searches, but I have come up with nothing.

13. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
  14. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Good post. But lets be clear about one thing - the world needs both. After a break from a long-term Mrs Right, a few Mrs Righ-Now's are just what the doctor would order.

15. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Yea... but you feel empty after the right nows, you always go running back... at least that's my experience...

16. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Men, being the disloyal dogs that we are, sometimes like to stray away from our good wives and go a round with Ms. Right-Now. After all, she is SO beautiful and its SO easy. While technically this is not proper, your relationship with Ms. Right can survive it. The key is to not let it intefere with the way you treat Ms. Right, and thus she never knows you strayed. That way when you want to go back to her, (and you will go back to her, crawling and begging if necessary) you don't bring any bad habits from outside. Ms. Right is going to kick your butt if she can smell the stench Ms. Right-Now (any one of them) on you.

17. tzgorr1

tzgorr1 Well-Known Member

Great analogy!

As far as I'm concerned, VF is my wife whom I spend most nights with,and TTT is my hot secretary that I spend my weekends with. DOA is the hot, naked, drunk college girl at spring break whom I caught STDs from. /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. TomBrady

TomBrady Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Trying to compare VF4(or VF4:Evo) to DOA(3 or Ultimate) is like trying to compare women, Ms. Right to Ms. Right-Now.

Ms. Right-Now looks good, really good. Much of her good looks is because sensitive parts of her body are exposed, and what is not covered is often highlighted to draw you eyes there. She makes sure it bounces and shakes so you can see it. Ms. Right-Now is very friendly in the beginning of your relationship. On the first date you feel that you have known Ms. Right-Now for years; Ms. Right-Now will even let you score on the first date.

Once you get to know Ms. Right-Now you find she has little substance. Those things that used to make you so excited start to bore you. You can still score with Ms. Right-Now but other men who have not given nearly as much time to Ms. Right-Now can score as well, and that makes the scores less important to you. After getting to know Ms. Right-Now you find that you expose yourself to so much damage by trying to do anything with her. You stand to take far more damage if your attempts backfire than you will gain if your attempts work. Soon you see that the risk-return of almost everything you try is so imbalanced against you that you become afraid to try anything. After a short while you decide to stop fooling around with Ms. Right-Now. But, even if you don't consciously decide to leave her alone, you don't give her as much time as you used to because she just can't hold your interest. Besides there is a beautiful new lady just around the corner. She looks very similar to Ms. Right-Now, but better, maybe she will be THE ONE.

About Ms. Right.

Ms. Right is not going to give it up on the first night. The second night isn't looking too good, either. You have to be patient with Ms. Right. You have to spend time to get to know Ms. Right BEFORE she will let you score. The more you get to know Ms. Right the more you realize that she is the ONE you have be searching for your whole life.

Ms. Right doesn't bait you by getting naked. She keeps her body covered and she won't open up to anyone who has not dedicated himself to the proper relationship with her. Once you look past the surface you see that one of her many good qualities is that the more time and effort you spend on Ms. Right the more she rewards you. You find that she flexible. She works with you. You find she is fair; she doesn't give you any more damage than you tried to cause.

When you stand to get hurt Ms. Right suggests many ways you can avoid getting injury. She tells you, "we can block this disaster; we can wait until the last second and dodge this disaster; we can escape this disaster; we may be able to turn the tables on our enemy and wreak disaster on him; we even can dodge, escape, and block this disaster at the same time." While doing all this, Ms. Right does not let you get sloppy by making it too easy avoid paying for your mistakes. You find that Ms. Right is complex and always seems to have something more to offer. Ms. Right makes you better. Ms. Right is loyal; people who haven't put in the time with her can never get from her what you can get from her, and that angers them to no end, but it pleases those who love Ms. Right beyond measure.

What is probably the greatest tribute to Ms. Right is that after years with Ms. Right she becomes the standard by which everyone judges all others. They want to compete with Ms. Right even though Ms. Right-Now is always younger. Every time a new Ms. Right-Now comes along shaking her boobs, her lovers feel the need to say, "this new Ms. Right-Now is so much better than Ms. Right." They forget that they said the same thing about this SAME Ms. Right and the last Ms. Right-Now, and the Ms. Right-Now before that. The wise, those who have given the effort to court Ms. Right, take it in stride, knowing that in a few months those lovers will be saying that they have another Ms. Right-Now who is so much better than this same Ms. Right.

By Darrius Cole

[/ QUOTE ]

doaU is trash....no doubt. doa3 is ok, its not bad but it only has 1 or 2 characters that u really NEED to practice against to fight and use them thus making it good but not great. doa3.1 is a GREAT GAME. DO NOT TALK ABOUT DOA UNTILL U HAVE PLAYED IT. it is by far the best doa game ever made. u can actaully ss moves, side step moves actually avoid, all characters r given frame adv, added guardbreaks for MANY characters, 50 new moves, improved wall tech system,etc........none of those r really present in any other DOA game ESPECIALLY doaU. TRUST ME...doa3.1 is a good game that actually has depth and takes practice to play. its doesnt give new/average gamers a chance. to me, doa3 is still good but doesnt have the depth of VF4......HOWEVER doa3.1 is a different story as it is just as good.

19. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DO NOT TALK ABOUT DOA UNTILL U HAVE PLAYED IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the fuck hasn't played DOA? Give me a fucking break.

Edit: By all means... enjoy your game. I really don't care

20. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

He meant DOA3.1, which I think was never available in the US, right? Itagaki's claims that the booster disk would mean total parity between all regions' versions of the game apparently only applied to extra costumes, a distinction I really am not surprised by him making.
    Regardless, I really doubt that it magically made DOA a good game. This claim that 3.1 "doesn't give new/average gamers a chance" seems empty in the face of newbie Kazuya Okubo's humiliating win in Microsoft Japan's tournament.