1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

converting a Dreamcast stick

Discussion in 'Console' started by west, Apr 17, 2002.

1. west

west Member

Is there a way to get my Dreamcast arcade-stick workin on the PS2.

2. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

There most certainly has to be. It may, however, involve a permanent conversion to PSX, then you can get a PSX to dreamcast converter to make it cross compatible. You will probably have to cut the connector off the end of the cord and make it connect to a PSX controller connector. I haven't seen any dreamcast to PSX converters......

3. west

west Member

hmm.. true, but i cant find the specs for the Dreamcast plug anywhere. I don´t know witch connection goes where. I was thinking of A) Building my own adapter (if i can find the specs) or B) total conversion of stick. ( If the joistick and buttons are arcade style (separate wires to each component), i should be able to sold it to an opened playstation kontroller)

4. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

buyaodawuo81and his brother Wildy managed to convert one of his dreamcast joystick to work on his ps2. However, due to extremely complicated wirings, they only managed to get three buttons working which is good for Vf4. Maybe you can pm and ask for his advice?

5. west

west Member

hmm.. can't seem to find those usernames. Are you sure they are written right?

Anyone have a converter that lets you use ps controllers for your dc? I know there are some for sale. If someone could open theirs and check the wiring it could be helpfull.

6. Powda

Powda Active Member

I had that same trouble when looking for certian usernames. when i used the search they didnt come up but as i looked through the post manually they were there.
    i am sure that they are around.

7. west

west Member

I have decided to make a total conversion of my stick. It seemes you can´t make a converter whitout building your own signal-converter because of the different commmand-coding. ( takes to long.)

I just fetched my sticks from the post-office. Me and friend ordered two Dreamcast sticks including postage for just 58 euros (under 50 bucks). Now that was cheap. I also bought a really cheap PS- pad for the conversion and managed to borrow a multi-meter from my friend. Now all i need is a soldering-iron /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. west

west Member

Ok.. I got everything working properly. It sure took alot of soldering, but i got all the buttons working perfectly. Now all that is left is waiting for the european VF4-launch /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Why didn't you just buy a PS2 stick for the same price?

10. west

west Member

1. I am an arcade-player, so i wanted a stick that was verry close to te one in the arcade. We have the official sega cabinet ( Hi-res beauty.. he ) so the sega dreamcast stick is exactly identical.

2. Finding a good stick is next to impossible. I couldn´t find a single store selling ether hori or namco-sticks.

3. I allready have a sucky PS-stick ( the kind you can actually buy somewhere) , i don´t wan´t another.

4. It was really cheap, i got everything i needed for about 35 euros total. Most sticks cost closer to 80. Hell even the dramcast stick often costs about 85, not included postage (alot) and taxes ( plus 22% from outside EU, where i live ). So getting it from germany (cheap postage, no taxes) was a real bargain.

5. I like building things.

Need more? ;-)

11. Alx

Alx Member

It seems like we had the same idea. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif I also converted my DC arcade stick for PS2, and it's perfect for VF4. The only problem is that I had to set the Z button to "select" especially for this game, so my "new" arcade stick won't work for 6-buttons fighting games. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    anyway, it'll be perfect for VF4, Tekken4 and Soulcalibur2, it's all I need. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

I loved the DC stick, is there a convertor of sorts that will let me use it on the PS2? Shame it's only 7 buttons though. Perhaps Sega will start making accessories for other systems.

13. KoolAsian

KoolAsian Member

Do you mind posting how you managed to do the connections? Some of us are interested in doing the same thing.

14. Str4toS

Str4toS Member

Mind you KoolAsian, the connections are pretty simple.
    Just a bit of solder and it goes fine, the tricky bit is the stick wich has 5 "pins". You must connect it to what seems to have 8 "pins" (the standard PS1 controller).
    When you take a closer look you'll see that four of them are actually connected together (energy source)so the problem is solved ! BUT, you must use a multimeter to see to what direction a pin corresponds.

As for the select button, just drill a hole and fix a cheap pushbutton, or a flick-switch which gives it an extra artisanal look I do not mind :p

My question is, is it possible to make my DC arcade stick work for DC AND PS ??? I believe it is bt it would make me go bunkers to use some diodes /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Thx in Advance,
    Matthias

15. Str4toS

Str4toS Member

BTW, im probably gonna convert my DC stick to a dual Playstation and DreamCast stick :p

I'll probably make a site with the proceidures /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Matthias |aka Str4toS|