1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

crap from DOA3 players

Discussion in 'General' started by iguanajoe, Mar 9, 2002.

1. iguanajoe

iguanajoe Member

Well I am new here, and I have looked at a lot of old posts, and seen a lot of tekken debates, not too much about Dead or Alive, (sorry to bring this up if it has been talked about a million times and sorry if this is the wrong place to mention this) but what are you thoughts? I truly love DOA2, but doa3 is crap I beleive. Why? The Dead or Alive series does have gameplay(yes the guessing game but there are setups and strategies but only->) when the reversal system is set up like the arcade way, unfortunately they took it out in DOA3. Now the game is shrouded by a bunch of players who only care about the costumes and the girls(who suck anyway besides helena and christe) and whatnot, plus there are only a rare few that are actually truly skilled in the game. Over there(doa forums)they actually beleive that DOA3 is the "best fighting game" and some even have mention that vf(tekken included) is crap. I am not trying to instigate or anything like that I just want to hear your thoughts on the game and the people who think that doa is the best fighting game out there. DOA3 could have been good, but yes the counter system implemented in it is crap. Well anyways i would really like to hear what you think.

2. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Not to be mean or anything but this is instigating. I think people should just drop the whole this game is better than that game thing. Some people are pro abortion some are anti abortion. Whos to decide.

3. iguanajoe

iguanajoe Member

yeah, you know you are right come to think of it.

4. Goom

Goom Active Member

I recall hearing that the gameplay was made complex in DOA3, have I heard wrong? Not allowing the DOA2 arcade style Counter Holds leads me to believe so.

5. iguanajoe

iguanajoe Member

Well, thats what the majority of the dead or alive players think(in which the majority only care about the costumes). But you have to remember the game was made for the casual gamer, the creator(itagaki) said so himself. The complexity of the game has gone way down without the arcade counters, generally the speed and the pacing of the game is up but it has gotten cheaper. Setups, juggles, combo strings, pecking, and the anticipation(guessing game) have become useless because of the simple counter system in which back+free will counter any mid level attack( arcade counters f,b+free will only counter a mid punch). Even thought DOA2 had the console countering as a default, it still had the option to change it to the arcade style which is more complex, in DOA3 they got rid of it. I dont know, it pisses me off because I think the fighting system in DOA is really good, yet really cheap.

6. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, they could have made DOA3 more complex than what it is like in DOA2.

But they didn't instead made big stage and new costume. Though I don't mind these addition, but only after at least changing the system a bit more, so its worthy to be call the 3rd iteration in the series.

But if the producer want the game for general masses, he did a good job of it.

7. Haklong

Haklong Member

DOA3 plays just like DOA2 except that you only have the option to use simple reversals. Why did they do this? I'm not sure but Bayman and Lei Fang both have two sets of reversals, the simple and the complex reversals. If a person high punch at Bayman and you hit diagonally up/back and A you get one reversal that does some damage (too much IMO). If a person high punches Bayman and you hit forward then diagonally up/back you get a fancier reversal that does even more damage.

I'm not sure if this is the reason why they did this but it would not matter, the reversals tends to turn the game into turtle matches. I have fun with the game but I don't play it competitively like I do with VF or Street Fighter games.