1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

CreeD READ THIS

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by alucard, Oct 24, 2001.

1. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~fhha/andrewspix/magcover.jpg

I managed to find a really old copy of one of those Jap mags I was talking about.

I'll do some translation:
    1. The first column represent the current position(in terms of revenue) of that game for the week. The second column is the game's position for the week earlier.
    2. The second coulmn are the games' titles.
    3. The last one represent the amount of credits/$$$ sucked in by that game in that week.
    4. The fine print below is a list of the arcades who provided the figures. They include PLABO, Shinjuku sports central, Segaworld, etc...

So, ranked first is VF3 with 76478, VOOT is a distant second with 15776 and SF EX is third with 9811.

Conclusion:
    With so much $$$ sucked in every week(trust me, its more or less the same every week, just look at VF3's previous ranking), you want to tell me VF3 was not popular? VF3's closest competitor, VOOT, only managed 1/5 of its total earnings!

To Mr.FatEgo:
    Yeah right, "187981567465456417867813567 Japanese players can't all be wrong, and the fact that VF2 was still being played late in VF3tb's life in Japan really says something." Bwahhahahahahhahah...
    All those Jap players who played VF2 during VF3's time must have played it at home(hahaha...yeah right) cause even SF Zero2 alpha managed to get more $$$ than VF2.
    Duh!

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Oh my, what evidence. What an argument. How...empirical (/me snorts).

Is this supposed to be a joke? How fucking old are you, 12?

--
    "I know I say the word 'fuck' a lot, and I'd apologize, but; I don't give a shit." - Lewis Black

3. alucard

You don't even have a shred of evidence to proof nuts. All you can manage is a story of your conversation with a guy(god knows who). Thats emiprical, I see. Idiot.

4. Mr. Bungle

All I could do is relay information that I've been told from people who had visited Japan, played in the arcades, saw what they saw - that VF2 was still being played actively, even after years of VF3(tb) being out.

If you're going to present us with evidence to prove your point, you have to do better than that. An earnings chart frozen in a limited, narrow spot of time along so many years of VF play, with limited info, doesn't come close to refuting what I've been told a number of times.

--
    "I know I say the word 'fuck' a lot, and I'd apologize, but; I don't give a shit." - Lewis Black

5. alucard

"Played actively"? Thats the key word here. How are you going to define "active". I still see some people playing and challenging away happily KOF98 or even SF zero in some arcades(Singapore), can I term that "active"?
    Sure, some people might still be playing VF2/VF3 or KOF98/99, but the crowd is nothing compared to VF4 or even KOF2000, those games have way more challengers.

I know one chart can't prove much, but its better than nothing. Actually, I used to own like 100+ of these mags(unfortuanately I've thrown them away), and the chart was updated weekly(bi-weekly), I can honestly tell you that VF3 was ALWAYS the chart leader, even T3 didn't come close. Actually I've also found another ancient mag, dated 7/97(the one you saw is 3/97). VF3 was still on top, T3 was a distant second. I can produce that as well but I'm too lazy to do it now, maybe some other day.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the stats. One thing:
    The stats tell us that VF3 was number one, but they don't tell us if the game was AS POPULAR as VF2... or if it was more popular or less popular. Maybe VF2 brought in 90,000 in most weeks. Do you see what I'm saying? That was my argument. We all know VF(anything) is number one in the Japanese arcades for a while... so I wouldn't (and didn't) say VF3 was 'unpopular'... I was just saying that VF2, despite being 'cheap' was more well liked in Japan. I was saying VF3 was -less- popular. Since you seem to know hwere to look, can you find some dollar figures on VF2 when it was at its peak?

Also, the real indicator that we're looking for is "total quarters sucked in so far"... from the release of the game to yesterday. I suspect that VF2 made more money from the time it was released to this date than VF3 has, and not because VF2 had more time. VF2 just took so much longer to die.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

7. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Heh silly thread .
    I think we can all agree on two things tough .
    In Japanese arcades non of the Tekkens ever came close to the reveneu generated by the VF machines .
    No other game ever had the impact both in revenue and attracting new players as the original deluxe Outrun had EVER .

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

There's just no end to the variables. Maybe the Japanese economy was really strong in the VF2 period and really weak in the VF3 period. Maybe the arcade industry became really weak over time. Maybe VF2 had better distribution than VF3, which would partly explain why VF2 may have generated higher revenue. There are a ton of variables that would explain differences. More popular = better game is a very difficult argument to make.

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

ahahahaha Jeff
    No offense..that's just such a economist reply
    hang on..U R ONE~! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=red>~~~ ' IRC
    I Repeat Classes!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

heh, when was the Japanese economy really strong!?

anyway, I agree that popularity doesn't equal better, but
    1. If there's any place that the argument does work, it's Japan. They appear to be a discriminating bunch.

and 2. I was merely arguing that disputing the claim made long ago, that japanese players dropped VF2 like an envelope filled with white powder as soon as 3 came out...

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

11. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Creed discriminating bunch my ass , there isnt a country that is as brand concious as Japan , they follow the latest fads like no other and shun superior products becouse it doesnt bear the right brand name .
    Yes im overgeneralising but so are you and mne is actually a lot closer to the truth then yourse .

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Brand conscious has nothing to do with choice of games. The fighting game scene is very competitive over there. They don't settle for crappy 2 player games like the vs. series (which I'm told do poorly every year).
    Video games are mainstream, but they're not cool enough to bow down to trends over there. People play what they enjoy, and they don't enjoy games where their skill is not much of a factor in who wins a match. Show me another country where people ignore the crap games in favor of Virtua Fighter. Maybe Korea? It still serves my point well enough. Popularity doesn't define quality, but when it comes to games in Japan quality probably defines popularity.

13. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Compare the sales of the versus games in Japan to the sales of those in Europe or the US .
    In Japan the last one on DC sold over 150.000 units sales combined from the US and Europe were lower then that on a larger installed base .
    Capcom vs SNK 2 wich is hardly a balanced quality fighter on PS2 alone are over 250k at the moment add another 150k for the DC version .
    Meanwhile Garou mark of wolves wich in quality and gameplay is a far better game is strugling to break 20k on DC .
    Check sales for the Streetfighter EX games wich im sure no one here will accuse of being better then the 2D incarnations and you will see that they outsell the 2D ones by several factors ( EX Plus Alpha 3 sold over 600 THOUSAND units ) .
    Explain to me the million plus sales of Onimusha over the far superior Devil may cry .
    Youre arguments dont fly , the hardcore market wich supported VF and created the buzz that made other people check it out as well has been dwindling in recent years in Japan ( cousing the bankruptcy of Gamest among others ) .

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I AM WRONG.

15. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Thank you thats all I needd to hear :) .

16. alucard

I don't think there's any way I can prove that VF3 was more

popular. Note that:
    1. VF3 was released in late 96.
    2. Video games sales were already slowing down then.
    3. Vf3tb was released during the 97/98 Asian economic
    crisis, Japan was broke, definitely worse off compared to
    the early 90s VF2 era.
    4. Other factors like distribution also affect revenue.

And now, with this world-wide recession, scheduled release
    of VF4 on the PS2 and all that LAN CS crap, VF4 is unlikely
    to do better than VF3, can I then come to the conclusion
    that VF4 is less popular? I can't.

Its a fact that VF3 was the most popular game in its
    time, no video game even came close. In any case, VF2 was
    already "extinct" then, if it was still being played
    "actively", its not significant enough cause it was not in
    the charts anymore.

17. Mr. Bungle

Stop beating the dead horse with your semi-flaccid cock, already, for fuck's sake...

--
    [​IMG]

18. alucard

I know some stuff in my previous message had already been
    addressed by others, but I am the one who started this
    "CreeD read this" thread. I'd wager Creed was expecting a
    reply from me.
    You really should mind your own business, Flintstone.