1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Crouch dashing advice

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Now suppose I'm telling someone about the basics of VF3 and the point I'm speaking of is crouch dashing...how would I explain it to him? I've showed it to him, taught him the two ways to CD but it still comes out as a double crouch motion...huh? Could it be his joystick? How would you go about visually teaching someone CD?

-sa

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The most common mistake in trying to CD is that people think it acts instantly (it certainly feels that way when you are too used to it). Tell him to hold down the second D/F direction. Most people let go too early.

BTW, did you explain to him why he would want to use it?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh yea of course...I ask him to go to vf.com and read the system intro and essentials FAQs...I actually spoke with him today and he says he's getting the crouch dash "every now and then"...if he delays inputting the D/F he gets it more frequently...
    I really cant' explain it to him...only show him. He seems intent on getting the Korean step down...for some odd reason he wants to use it all the time, even though that'd be impractical *shrug*
    Thanks for the advice...anything else you'd suggest?

-sa

4. Chanchai

it's all good... I think it's common for people to get addicted to K-step when they first accomplish Crouch Dashing... It's not too hard so he'll get it in time...

However, my experience has been (and also it's something I've deducted through reading some posts) that people who get too into K-step get a little too into using the Evade/Dodge before they CD. Essentially and obviously, after playing a person like this enough, it's just telegraphing their intentions over a big enough span of time to catch onto it really early.

Thus, I personally suggest to have him adapt his Crouch Dashes into modified moves as it really helps some characters. Even give him an example of other uses such as CDing an opponent who is coming in with a high attack (like a basic P-string rush) and pegging them with a simple low Punch.

I'm no expert but that's my personal advice to people interested in learning application and use.

As for K-step, yes, it's pretty much impractical, but for me it's a fun thing to do anyways. It at least encourages those that are into it to keep on playing the game. However, he'll probably realize quick who hard it is to use, especially on an aggressive opponent.

As for me, as far as maneuver tricks go, I've been working on the New Taiwan Step (CD, bd (back dash), CD, bd, CD, bd) on 1p and 2p sides. Some say it's impractical, I just enjoy doing it. When I am in zoning mode (which some of my local peers find to be a bit too much at times), I like to do it, though my low proficiency at it prevents me from doing it in actual matches.

I have to admit that there are many occasions when I end up in machi bastard mode... lately anyways... however, that's only part of the story as I'm mostly just switching up... between matches, between rounds, and often just in the middle of the round... transitions between machi, aggressive, zoning, excessively aggressive, etc...

Back to Crouch Dashing, it's not everything, but it certainly helps. It doesn't substitute good play, it can only add to the arsenal and occasionally adds options. However, it's one of many incentives to try to get the hang of VF's controls (which a lot of unexperienced players have trouble with).

5. Guest

Guest Guest

great. I agree. Thanks chichi.

-sa

6. Chanchai

Hey, don't mock my name.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm not! :D

8. Chanchai

Who's chichi? (don't worry, I'm not having a cow over this, but lack of physical expression makes it look that way doesn't it?/images/icons/tongue.gif)