1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Custom stick gallery

Discussion in 'Console' started by GodEater, Jan 6, 2004.

1. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

so I just finished my own custom stick and thought, "it can't just be me and Catch making sticks"; a few people have shown interest in doing the same but no one is showcasing their efforts. I figured I'd start this thread as a means to do so.

So, come on people! If you've been hard at work show us what you've been doing! And if you haven't but want to be...well maybe this can be the spark that gets the fire going.

God-eat-God custom stick

GE

2. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Kudos that is a nice looking custom stick!! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    2 quick questions:
    I'm assumimg your using sanwa parts?
    and how much was the overall cost?

3. GodEater

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm assumimg your using sanwa parts?
    and how much was the overall cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are actually not Sanwa. Its a poor man's cousin from a two player stick I own. I'll be upgrading to Sanwa when my parts arrive.

the cost...I really couldn't tell you just because of the way I went about it and because some things I already had lying around. I think to make a new one it will cost around $65 canadian. I'll know when I build the others.

GE

4. teetu

teetu Member

nice stick!

I got a couple questions if you don't mind. In terms of finish, what kind of paint did you use? Did you use laquer? What brands did you use and how many layers of each?

Also, whats the deal with lexan and how does it differ from the plexiglass?

5. GodEater

[ QUOTE ]
    got a couple questions if you don't mind. In terms of finish, what kind of paint did you use? Did you use laquer? What brands did you use and how many layers of each?

Also, whats the deal with lexan and how does it differ from the plexiglass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a high gloss spray paint, five coats with sanding between coats. I've applied urethane to protect the paint.

Lexan is what you should buy instead of plexiglass. Drilling plexiglass with a hole saw (a wood spade is no good) can sometimes crack it as can just doing pretty much anything. Plexiglass sucks. Lexan is strong, takes drilling and shaving without cracking or stress marks and can still easily be cut with a good Utility Knife. Lexan is a little more expensive than plexiglass but, honestly, not much. And you'll amortize the expense over the lifetime of your stick.

GE

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

plexiglass is actually easy to drill with power tools with the right drill bits. You need to get some thing called plexi-drill for that purpose. For even cleaner and smooth finish, coat the drill bit with some petroleum jelly.

7. GodEater

[ QUOTE ]
    You need to get some thing called plexi-drill for that purpose. For even cleaner and smooth finish, coat the drill bit with some petroleum jelly.

[/ QUOTE ]

whereas I was able to just purchase one sheet of Lexan cut it in two and then just drill out the holes with no muss or fuss. I've worked with both Plexiglass and Lexan and I definately would choose the lexan and eat the extra $1.50 in cost. I'm sure there are plexiglass adherents as well but I think its an ass product compared against lexan.

GE

8. teetu

teetu Member

where can you pick up lexan from? can you get it at home centers like home depot?

9. armad1ll0

armad1ll0 Member

I build with Sanwa stuff as well. I have a bunch of ones that I've made and stock Sanwa parts.

My site can be found at www.modeverything.com

10. GodEater

[ QUOTE ]
    where can you pick up lexan from? can you get it at home centers like home depot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can. To give you an idea of how little it costs I picked up a 7" x 10" piece today (new stick) for $3.35 cdn. Cheap and strong. Some places might sell for more but my local place is quite reasonable.

GE

11. teetu

teetu Member

Well, I got my sanwa parts so I'll be posting my stick in the near future.

I cant find lexan anywhere! The home centers around here just have plexiglass. Any idea what other kind of stores might carry lexan?

12. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

13. PIZman

PIZman Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BigBoyYoass said:

I modified my X-Arcade stick with Happ competition Joysticks and convex buttons. http://www.crystalbargains.com/X-Arcade.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That's dope. Couldn't really see TOO much in the pic, but that's definitely cool. Now if there was just a way to get another overlay on it...hmmmmmmmm

14. GodEater

6 hour stick (minor oops)

total project time 5 hours and 53 minutes. I made a small error which will force me to go back and re-do part of it and that will take me right up to that 6 hour mark ( curses !). Normally I wouldn't post something incomplete but I can't work on the revision until tomorrow and I was very happy how fast the project came together.

The pictures are still from my web cam, I'll take better ones when I've finished making the changes.

I made a few changes from my first, ultra-compact, stick: The box is 3.5 inches deep and the play area (lexan) is 7" by 10" which gives ample hand space on both sides and still allows for a small footprint. Happ Competition stick and buttons. I have no real preference for Sanwa and the competition sticks are easily had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone else building anything?

GE

15. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Re: 6 hour stick (minor oops)

GE - that stick looks excellent. I've been meaning to take my stick out of the DC housing and spiff it up in a custom box. Sweet design.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

16. GodEater

Thanks!

Get to work and then post the results! It is beyond easy to do this; that was the whole point of my trying to make one in as little time as possible. I think 5 hours is a realistic time even which is a small comitment versus the utility of it.

GE

17. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

Excellent job, GE. I made my stick in about 5 hours too...I can quite put my finger on it, but it looks a tad different from yours GE...haha

Anyways, I'll probably be making another one this week, as soon as I get some microswiches.

18. PIZman

PIZman Well-Known Member

19. teetu

teetu Member

Thats a really nice black finish GE. I need to work on getting the wood really smooth, so you can't see any grain. I can only see the grain when I hold it up to the light at a certain angle... but I want to truly eliminate it.

I got my first "box" assembled- I'm just waiting for the glue to dry. I was shocked how strong wood glue can be- when it dries it is extremely strong. I made a test box and I stood it up on it's edge and it was able to support my weight- without screws! I was really surprised.

Anyways, I'm gonna hopefully make 2 sticks over the next few days (one happ, one sanwa). I think I can finish the happ one real quick, but the sanwa is going to use some extra time. I'm gonna apoligize ahead of time to catch22 for jacking his style- but I gotta start somewhere & then make my own style.

I need to get the plexi to hold in place without screws like GE's stick. How'd you do that again (i know i asked you before). Is it just held into place by the buttons being screwed tight? I'm trying to think of a way to do it with sanwa parts, I dont know if the "snap-in" buttons will hold it tight enough. I just really like that clean top with no screws sticking out.

20. GodEater

[ QUOTE ]
    I just found this floating around on the internet...thought you guys might like it:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather you posted it in another (or make your own) thread. There are better examples of MAME inspired cabs out there and it has nothing to do with what I wanted this thread to be: A place for VFDC members to showcase their efforts at making custom sticks.

GE