1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut Content in the Virtua Fighter series?

Discussion in 'General' started by MadeManG74, Feb 11, 2015.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I stumbled upon a site called 'The Cutting Room Floor' the other day, which is a site that compiles cut content from games. Usually it's found through unused sound files/art assets on the disc or via developer interviews.

For anyone interested:
    https://tcrf.net/Category:Virtua_Fighter_series

They have a short section on the VF series, including a cut character from VF (Siba, that almost everyone knows about) and missing sound files from VF3. I noticed a few things already that might count as 'cut content' and thought it'd be interesting to ask the community here if they know of anything or found anything that might hint at cut content.

Virtua Fighter
    [​IMG]

- Cut character 'Shiba', and various name changes to characters. 'Siba' eventually returned as a very rudimentary character in Fighters Megamix.

Virtua Fighter 2
    - In the sound test, you can hear some lines from Jacky that don't seem to be in the final game at all. He has a line saying "Why has fate put us in the ring together?" and another that's only "I'm just waiting for my sister!". Considering Sarah and Jacky share a 'special' stage only they fight on in Chicago, I feel like there was some kind of story element or cutscene that was cut from the final release?

Virtua Fighter 3
    - https://tcrf.net/Virtua_Fighter_3
    - There's a lot listed above, missing voice samples from "Game Over" Screens, missing music that seems to be 'Dural' variants of themes as well as missing costumes (Pai ballerina, Aoi Schoolgirl, Shun backpack(?) and Lion)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai7C7m7HRDs
    - It also details the infamous 'get hit by the trains' easter egg.

That's all that I know of personally. I know that the VF2 ones used to bug me when I was younger, trying to figure out where those sound files were meant to be in the arcade mode.

Anybody know of any others, or any pre-release footage that shows different versions/cut versions of the game?

masterpo, ToyDingo, BLACKSTAR and 2 others like this.
  2. celsowm

celsowm Well-Known Member

Very cool ! Thanks !
    Personally, I'm frustrated with the lack/cut of Lion and Shun in VF2 genesis

3. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I seem to remember the Saturn version of VF2 having quite a few unused lines of dialog that can be heard in the sound test. Then again, considering how I played back then it's likely the lines weren't cut, but that I never heard them in game.

4. MadeManG74

^You're not wrong, I'm sure at least some of those lines were never actually used in the game. The Jacky lines for example I've never seen or heard of anyone finding them outside of sound-test.

5. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    masterpo likes this.
  6. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

This is an old thread but I think it might be a good place to talk about unused/beta or even unknown content from VF games. I feel like VF is probably the fighting game series with the most cut content and hidden stuff I have ever seen specially in the first 3 entries.

I got an interesting one here. VF2's debug menu aswell as the debug menu in Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters which all share pretty much the same debug tools because all 3 games run in the same engine which was confirmed a few years ago.
    These debug menus can be accessed by holding the service button + doing a secret command (VF2 uses a different command compared to FV & StF) also @biggestsonicfan made some hacks to use the debug menu in the old nebula model 2 emulator without having to input the code for all 3 games.

More info about this can be found here:
    https://sudden-desu.net/entries/deb...hter-2-fighting-vipers-and-sonic-the-fighters
    And here: https://sudden-desu.net/entry/debug...fighting-vipers-and-sonic-the-fighters-part-2

The 2nd part details how these tools can be used on real hardware without the use of any hacks. You'll need to have access to the arcade operator stuff like the service button, I tried to input the code for VF2 "Hold Service, LEFT, P, K, RIGHT, RIGHT DOWN, P, UP, K K" in the Nebula model 2 emulator and the game switched into some kind of no UI mode. here are some screenshots I took, honestly this looks pretty good for taking screenshots of the game. That reminds me these tools were most likely used to make those old VF2 VHS guides which have some scenes where the game had no UI elements along with some fancy camera angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  7. MadeManG74

This is very cool! I love the idea of using it for high quality screen shots.

8. Thesch28

(Small NSFW content warning)

Here's something else that might be worth posting here, the contents of a ''Virtua Fighter prototype material Macintosh CD-ROM'' from 1996 (probably a supplement to some JP gaming magazine)

Originally found and posted in March 22, 2022 by Twitter user and well known nsfw artist @Z0NE This CD contains a bunch of behind the scenes content like development footage of VF1, design documents, part of an official nude Pai 3D model, among other things. I wish Z0NE had given bit more context about this CD but I'm already grateful that they even chose to share it.

They recorded the contents of the CD and provided a google drive download link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12PoGyBPTL1ngFsdYvEG66TdVDPbMg2ia/view
    "for the sake of preservation I would advice people to download this video and save it, just in case this or any youtube reuploads get taken down"

Also here's a video by user @KoriMaru on Twitter covering some of the info found in the CD:
    Very interesting stuff.

[​IMG]

There's still a lot of things left to translate but even just the images and footage from this CD are very interesting, so yeah let's make sure this thing doesn't get lost.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    beanboy, MadeManG74 and Ni8anttana like this.
  9. Thesch28

Ok, here's another post, this time we have... Unused song data from Virtua Fighter 1!
    These finds were made by user mountainmanjed the same person who discovered the unused characters in VF1's code "I'll make a post about that later" so in total 4 unused songs were found in the code, here are the videos by mountainmanjed showcasing them.

1st video, posted on Nov 6, 2017.

Description by op: The ending is missing. Has the same motif as the Character Select likely an early version of it and how it builds up to an end could of been an early Attract Mode song too.

2nd video, posted one day later on Nov 7, 2017.

Description by op: The 3rd Jingle sounds like an alternate opening to the stage 2 song (it's right before it too). Also at the end, I put the unused song from yesterday in the same loop set up as most songs to show it really doesn't work.

The 3rd jingle is indeed an alternative opening to the 2nd stage aka Jeffry's stage. This opening goes unused in all versions of Virtua Fighter 1 and was only ever used for the version of Jeffry's theme found in the album "Virtua Fighter 最強の戦士 B-univ'' All later album releases of Virtua Fighter's soundtrack would not make use of this unused opening.

Jeffry ~Original Version~

So there you go! another interesting piece of VF1 history unearthed thanks to mountainmanjed. So what's everyone's thoughts on these song? I personally would love see these included in a newer album release of VF1's ost.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  10. Thesch28

Virtua Fighters - 1993 AOU Prototype footage.

MadeManG74 and beanboy like this.
  11. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I watched the vid on the Red Scorpions yesterday. The Red Scorpions is a cool idea storywise. They should have kept them, as an opposing group to J6.:D

Thesch28 likes this.
  12. Thesch28

Honestly It would be pretty cool if VF6 reused those scrapped ideas and characters from VF1.

beanboy likes this.