1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Damage Modifier

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by LittleWild, Mar 15, 2002.

1. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

(I know this has already been posted somewhere, but I can't find the tread.)

Ripped from http://homepage3.nifty.com/pai/combo4.html

Normal hit = Damage x 1.0
    Minor Counter = Damage x 1.25
    Major Counter = Damage x 1.5

Air combo, 1st and 2nd hit = Damage x 0.8
    Air combo, 3rd hit onwards = Damage x 0.64
    Gound hit = Damage x 0.5

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think it was determined that each successive hit in an air combo does 10% less, e.g. first hit 90%, next 80%, next 70%... etc. So that by the fifth hit, it's half damage. Feixaq?

3. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

with all this modifiers coming in, I have started to omit my Ps in float combos(except for TFT long distance floats).
    find that the Ps are getting redundant where damage is concerned.
    For example Jeffry 's knee, Knee has no difference in damage from knee,p(g),knee and the first combo has a 100% chance of being pulled off. You might risk a P,K follow-up if u accidentally miss the G on the second combo, and the P in between makes the timing for the execution really tight.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

punches make it look much cooler tho.
    Other than that, you're right.. knee, knee is better. Also, the earlier you end the combo (in terms of when the player hits the floor) the more time you have to interrupt/punish tech rolls.

5. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Actually, Jeff's knee, P(G), knee does 11 more points than just 2 knees.

Knee, P(G), Knee -> 32 + 11 + 26 = 69
    Knee, Knee -> 32 + 26 = 58
    And you can pretty reliably count on damage scaling being:

1st and 2nd juggle hits - 80%
    3rd - 60% (definitely not 64%)
    4th - 50%
    5th - 40%
    6th - 30%
    7th - 25%
    8th and on possibly 25% or 20% I never could tell...

Following these you MAY be a point off in just generalized calced damage, but it's pretty simple and exact.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

You know it finally clicked in my mind why for the Kage TFT combos that end in a kickflip why you get more damage if you gamble that your opponent won't tech roll and hit with the kickflip just after they land. (How's that for sentence structure? /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif) You get half damage when you hit an opponent that is grounded, but if you're hitting with the 5th, 6th or 7th hit of a float combo you'll get less than 50%.

7. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Actually TFT combos have their own brand of freakiness when it comes to damage scaling...I posted it up in a thread about a month or so back, but I never did finish reaserching that one...maybe I can get to it this weekend.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    If you take a quick look at the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf3&file=vf3tb_formulae_(uttayaya).txt>VF3 Systems FAQ</a>, you'll see how complex the damage system is (was). This may, or may not, help.

I'm inclined to think the entire damage system, especially for air hits in a combo, isn't as simple as some people have suggested. Good luck working it out anyway /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Actually for standard floats, that simple system does work. It doesn't have any of the "can't use the same move twice in a row" that VF3 did. There are a few glitches in it here and there, though, like Sarah's kickflip. Regardless of which one you use, it will use the damage for the FL kickflip.

There are interesting applications of it though regarding OTB combos. The TFT just throws out most of the rules though.

10. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

not too such about that particular Jeff's combo.
    but this one is definitely a guaranteed example which i tried on ver C.
    Lions follow-up to b,b+K, P+K........
    1) d,f+P+K, u+P+K
    2) u+P+K
    both combo give the exact same damage.
    so nowadays i tend to give the d,f+P+K a miss, so that i end my combo early and pounce earlier.
    Just to prove my pt of the redundancy of the weak punch in air combo.
    I guessed that there are quite a few other factors involved in the damage scaling ... like the height of the floating fighter when hit? Anyone please comment on this, thanks.
    Its all getting too complicated..i guess the best way is to try all alternatives to the combos before deciding on the more "worthy" one to use.
    Cheers.

11. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Um, we are talking about Lion right? the d/f+P+K ends the combo. The u+P+K won't ever connect in a float after it. The d/f+P+K is the slow low turning backhand that knocks down and takes forever to recover. And Lion doesn't have a FC, f+P+K move. Doing that just just gives you f+P+K just like normal. So what move are you actually talking about between the vacuum punch and the uppercut, cause it's not d/f+P+K.

12. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

i think he meant b, f+p+k. Cos he mentioned weak punch...

13. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

yup... the follow-up is punch(b,f+P+K) and a uppercut(u+P+K)

14. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I tried it out last night and by adding the punch (b,f+P+K) the combos damage goes up by four, it doesn't stay the same.

b,b+K, P+K, b,f+P+K, u+P+K
    25 + 11(14*.8) + 8(10*.8) + 12(20*.6) = 56

b,b+K, P+K, u+P+K
    25 + 11(14*.8) + 16(20*.8) = 52

And it does follow these numbers exactly. (add 12 to them if you did a MC b,b+K, but the difference is still there and still the same amount) Incidentally, is there some reason you're using b,f+P+K instead of just regular P? They're the same speed and damage, so I was wondering of there was some other reason...

15. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

my mistake. yup, that is true, i just tried it out, the combo with the punch does make a 4 pt difference.
    However, i just discovered something that baffled me even more. When i did a pounce after both combos, both gave me a damage of 72 in total.
    Why is that so? this means that the pounce after the 1st combo(without punch) does more damage than the pounce after combo 2?
    weird...do try it out. i can't figure this out.